Cornwall IV ... Love 'em or Hate 'em

RaceCoach

As some background, I've been a fan of Klipsch speakers for many years (or at least their siblings). The 1st pair of speakers that I loved were a pair of Sound Dynamics 6S (made by API in Canada who also made Mirage and Athena). API was acquired up by Klipsch around 2005 or so). I've have Energy C-7 and C-5 speakers also (I believe part of the Klipsch family). The exception is a pair of Paradigm Legend V3.

My mid-life crisis is calling for an audio upgrade. The Covid-19 thing has prevented me from auditioning anything, so I've done a lot of reading in the internet (perhaps a dangerous thing). 

Circumstances are that I'm in a townhouse, so volume will always be low to moderate. My original search was for a pair of speakers to be run in a stereo setup to fill an open concept townhouse main floor (family room, dining room, kitchen).  I rarely sit front and center for a pure listening session, but music is always on in my home. So, wide dispersion and a forgiving placement and listening location are important. My musical taste ranges from classic rock, especially from '70's, some new alternative (Alt-J comes to mind immediately), smooth/funk jazz (so plenty of sax and some vocals), and chill (lots of base beats).

On paper the new Cornwall IV seems to be a good fit. But some people out the on the internet call them an antiquated design that's harsh and with poor sound stage. Apparently they're better when played at concert level volumes. I would imagine this audience will be somewhat defensive to these accusations, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Others say that with an adequate tube amp setup, they can be quite spectacular. Again, your input would be appreciated.

When things open up (I'm in Toronto, Canada area) I plan on trying to find an audio store with them for audition.

Another interesting speaker that I'm considering is the Focal Aria 948. You're welcome to make comments or suggest other speakers that might suit my situation well (in the same price range).

Thank you!!  

Cornwall IV Black.jpg

Edited by RaceCoach
  • Like 1

Unable to visually verify where your link pointed and we don't have time to follow them all. Please remove it and I will approve your post. After the first one you may restore the link if you are certain that it does not violate the TOS. 

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have Cornwall IVs and love them. I use Parasound gear to power them, the P6 preamp and A23+ amp. I listen to a lot of different music and I think the Cornwalls would be great for you.   They do well with rock music, and I love how they handle vocals and horns.  I don’t think t

you would be disappointed.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, RaceCoach said:

On paper the new Cornwall IV seems to be a good fit.

it is the Best Cornwall ever and that's all there needs to be said  , no other speaker can compare in the 6k$ Range

On 5/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, RaceCoach said:

On paper the new Cornwall IV seems to be a good fit. But some people out the on the internet call them an antiquated design that's harsh and with poor sound stage. Apparently they're better when played at concert level volumes. I would imagine this audience will be somewhat defensive to these accusations, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Others say that with an adequate tube amp setup, they can be quite spectacular. Again, your input would be appreciated.

Thank you!!  

Cornwall IV Black.jpg

Having heard them, and at no time loud, I can fully state none of that is true.  Someone making that statement could not have heard C IVs.  The midrange horn and driver are both new, I'm pretty sure the tweeter is new, at least from the C III.  The box is new as are the Tractrix ports.  These have a flare at both ends to smooth air flow into and out of the box.  That is not antiquated/Old School.  They WERE spectacular with a tube amp system provided be Paducah Home Theater.  (Hint!) 

After about 5 months with my new Heresy IVs, I cannot recommend them enough.  For your described use, and dedicated listening, too, they are also EXCELLENT.  They have enough low bass output to just reach the low E on a bass; all you need.  No subwoofer is needed.

Finally, Forte IIIs have a similar squawker horn to C IVs and seem to me to meet your desires.  Having heard them, too, they have a familial sound you may like, with deeper bass, if you like organ music. 

• 2 weeks later...

I own CWIv's and Heresy IV's and have had Forte III's here as well. I used to own the CWIII and HIII. The IV's are a huge step up from the III. I went through testing many amps with these speakers, ranging from a Naim Atom all in one to a $26,000 Vinnie Rossi L2i SE that uses 300B tubes for the pre amp. Luxman (Class A), Octave (all tube), a Line Magnetic 845 SET amp and others were tested here. I ended up with my Cornwall IV's in my 12X13 room powered by a Naim Atom. This gives me 3D imaging, a huge soundstage, ethereal sound with an amazing midrange, deep tight never boomy bass and expanded highs. Full, punchy and never flat or harsh. This is the best I have been able to get the CW's to sound and same with the Heresy IV's. This Atom blow me away at what it offers for the money, and it's a steal as is. Streamer, Dac, Amp, Display, and a true high end build and sound. Perfect synergy with current Klipsch Heritage models. As for the Heresy IV vs CW IV... the Heresy has a more open soundstage, a more forward midrange and better imaging/3D depth. They disappear easily. The CW IV's offer more with a fuller deeper sound, massive scale and while they do not disappear like the Heresy IV's they offer a more "complete" sound. In my small 12X13 room they are NEVER too much, and they sound open and transparent. So I settled on these Cornwall's for my main room with the Atom. Even hooked up my turntable and it sounds better than it does on my higher end pieces. I have been into HiFi for 30 years. I have reviewed many pieces and have had companies send me gear to review, Klipsch being one of them. This CW IV and Atom system is insanely satisfying, oddly addicting and is hassle free. No cables needed, no DAC needed, no streamer needed, no amp needed...it's all built in and took 15 minutes to set up and start listening.  The CWIV and Heresy IV, IMO, are the best versions without question of these legendary speakers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't even want to know how good the Cornwall IVs are since I have tweaked the positioning of my Cornwall IIIs to my satisfaction. They are very sensitive to placement. I'm in a 14x19 listening area within an open concept floor plan. Have them quite close to the wall. I find this works for my 6 watt SET amp and gives me good bass.

Edited by VNC Studio

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, SteveAudioFan said:

I own CWIv's and Heresy IV's and have had Forte III's here as well. I used to own the CWIII and HIII. The IV's are a huge step up from the III. I went through testing many amps with these speakers, ranging from a Naim Atom all in one to a $26,000 Vinnie Rossi L2i SE that uses 300B tubes for the pre amp. Luxman (Class A), Octave (all tube), a Line Magnetic 845 SET amp and others were tested here. I ended up with my Cornwall IV's in my 12X13 room powered by a Naim Atom. This gives me 3D imaging, a huge soundstage, ethereal sound with an amazing midrange, deep tight never boomy bass and expanded highs. Full, punchy and never flat or harsh. This is the best I have been able to get the CW's to sound and same with the Heresy IV's. This Atom blow me away at what it offers for the money, and it's a steal as is. Streamer, Dac, Amp, Display, and a true high end build and sound. Perfect synergy with current Klipsch Heritage models. As for the Heresy IV vs CW IV... the Heresy has a more open soundstage, a more forward midrange and better imaging/3D depth. They disappear easily. The CW IV's offer more with a fuller deeper sound, massive scale and while they do not disappear like the Heresy IV's they offer a more "complete" sound. In my small 12X13 room they are NEVER too much, and they sound open and transparent. So I settled on these Cornwall's for my main room with the Atom. Even hooked up my turntable and it sounds better than it does on my higher end pieces. I have been into HiFi for 30 years. I have reviewed many pieces and have had companies send me gear to review, Klipsch being one of them. This CW IV and Atom system is insanely satisfying, oddly addicting and is hassle free. No cables needed, no DAC needed, no streamer needed, no amp needed...it's all built in and took 15 minutes to set up and start listening.  The CWIV and Heresy IV, IMO, are the best versions without question of these legendary speakers. 

I find this review very interesting, I'm wondering if one of Naim's dedicated integrated amps would up the ante on performance (dac, streaming and features not withstanding)

or is this synergistic magic with with the aformentioned heritage models exclusive to the Atom?  Or even as a result of the dac?

Truth be told this piece sounds perfect for me as I'm in the market for such an amp, yet I remain a little trepedatious at the price point, in my neck of the woods  the nait 5si is half the cost and the xs3 is the same price , both of those amps hold their retail value well and I could unload easily which I don't see happening with the Atom

from a living space perspective I think Klipsch is a great choice...I live in a condo, so volume levels must be reasonable...the efficiency of my LaScalas and Heresy 3s (bedroom) allow great sound w modest volume...

2354AE4D-B8ED-4F3A-A64A-CAFA98BFF493.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Docreid said:

from a living space perspective I think Klipsch is a great choice...I live in a condo, so volume levels must be reasonable...the efficiency of my LaScalas and Heresy 3s (bedroom) allow great sound w modest volume...

now you're talking

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, RaceCoach said:

But some people out the on the internet call them an antiquated design that's harsh and with poor sound stage. Apparently they're better when played at concert level volumes.

The very fact that someone used the word "antiquated" in a review shows prejudice. There is nothing antiquated about the Cornwall IV.

After many years of reading loudspeaker reviews in Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and other respected journals, only to find that I completely disagreed with their perceptions when I actually auditioned the speakers for myself, I decided that other peoples' subjective opinions are worthless. Reviews are fine for things like fit and finish, component quality, and objective measurements. But for sound quality I trust my own ears. My own ears told me that the Cornwall IV is exceptionally good. Your ears may agree, or they may not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Edgar said:

The very fact that someone used the word "antiquated" in a review shows prejudice. There is nothing antiquated about the Cornwall IV.

After many years of reading loudspeaker reviews in Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and other respected journals, only to find that I completely disagreed with their perceptions when I actually auditioned the speakers for myself, I decided that other peoples' subjective opinions are worthless. Reviews are fine for things like fit and finish, component quality, and objective measurements. But for sound quality I trust my own ears. My own ears told me that the Cornwall IV is exceptionally good. Your ears may agree, or they may not.

Only recently going through Stereophile reviews after a very long time. I have yet to read a review in Stereophile where it concludes that the component under review is better than the one the reviewer owns. LOL.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Thanks 1

Listening to my CWIV's with tubes as we speak. I've owned many speakers and auditioned many more.  This is the end game for me (famous last words, I know). Just couldn't be happier. Ignor most if not all naysayers, but be sure to audition them somewhere.  I drove 500 miles each way to do so, and knew within about 5 minutes they were what I wanted. I should say that I had Forte III's at the time, and they are also worthy of your consideration-I loved them also.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dbomberger said:

Listening to my CWIV's with tubes as we speak. I've owned many speakers and auditioned many more.  This is the end game for me (famous last words, I know). Just couldn't be happier. Ignor most if not all naysayers, but be sure to audition them somewhere.  I drove 500 miles each way to do so, and knew within about 5 minutes they were what I wanted. I should say that I had Forte III's at the time, and they are also worthy of your consideration-I loved them also.  Good luck with your search.

I have not had the pleasure to hear the CWIV., and I'll bet they sound terrific. ........I hope to hear them one day when Roy invites me down to Hope, when he will send his private jet to my local airport, and ply me with wild women and champagne....End game?  Have you had or heard properly updated vintage La Scalas?  Just asking for a friend....Enjoy!

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I hope to hear them one day when Roy invites me down to Hope, when he will send his private jet to my local airport, and ply me with wild women and champagne...

With Cornwall IV you won't need wild women or champagne any more. 😁

• Thanks 1

I have not had the pleasure to hear the CWIV., and I'll bet they sound terrific. ........I hope to hear them one day when Roy invites me down to Hope, when he will send his private jet to my local airport, and ply me with wild women and champagne....End game?  Have you had or heard properly updated vintage La Scalas?  Just asking for a friend....Enjoy!
Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates (N.W. Chicago burbs) has all the Heritage line and able to demo. I went there and heard the Cornwall IV's a few months ago. I was really impressed.

Not so much with the Heresy lV's though.....but they were in a different room, different amp etc....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk