Cornwall IV ... Love 'em or Hate 'em

RaceCoach

• Moderators
On 7/3/2020 at 3:34 PM, RandyH 000 said:

Roy Delgado has a private plane -wow ----he must be a great pilot

He can go for great distances, the brand is Camaro.  

The rumor is he does not want a plane, he couldn't find one with a trailer hitch for his bass boat.

I love him, respect him and he's a great friend.........................but not sure I would fly with him ? :huh:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dtel said:

You should be, your going to be happy. Nice choice

Thank you! My journey into this hobby started w a pair of 40 year old walnut Cornwalls and now the last piece of my  stereo I’m buying (unless something breaks) is walnut Cornwall IVs. Pics are of the same “stereo” same place, same room over the years. They were moved once when we got new carpet. Liked the Cornwalls so much I knew I was getting new ones one day and designed the credenza and vinyl storage to perfectly fit having Cornwalls in the corner. I could never let the vintage gear go as I upgraded so I’m excited to have two very similar Cornwall stereos with components separated by 40 years. It will be interesting to compare eras. Not sure an old Bang & Olufsen direct drive will be a fair fight against the MoFi UltraDeck + MasterTracker cartridge that’s also got the Furman power conditioner And heavyweight - I just think it will be a much quieter noise floor. But who knows. The Yamaha CR-1020 is awesome. Had it cleaned this year and new white LED’s installed bc some bulbs had burned. I’m rambling now...I’m just excited. Thanks again! 

8110995F-B5B5-4B97-A9A5-2DF1AB82F709.jpeg

3E5416DF-3165-4912-B6E4-4540FC7899A3.jpeg

B71B14D6-952C-4253-9EC1-ECDCF445999B.jpeg

BC4F913F-315F-4522-BC55-3269F689CEC5.jpeg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

The rumor is he does not want a plane, he couldn't find one with a trailer hitch for his bass boat.

he should meet my neighbor , he can catch fish all day long - 

• Haha 1

I will start by saying I loved the Cornwall III's when I auditioned them many years ago.  Unfortunately, spending that amount of money at the time was out of the question. (I'm a teacher)  The only other speaker in the room that sounded marginally better to me was, of course, the klipschorns... even more out of my price range at the time.  Now that my house is paid off, I'm on the prowl for a nice set of speakers for my 2.2 system ( 2 mains and two subs) that is in my living room which opens up into the dining room and kitchen.  I plan on auditioning the Cornwall IV's and give them a fair chance.  Although, I always like to buy used to save a bunch!  I love it when poeple have to run out and buy the latest and greatest gear, and then in 6 months to a year it up for sale at a significant discount!  (Well, most of the time, sometimes people think their used gear is worth just as much as when it was new!) 

I can see how some poeple say they are antiquated.  I think I would say that they have that older boxy look going on...and some people like that.  I think they are perfect for a slight mid century modern appeal.  Will they win any  speaker design competitions...nope!  But if you like them and they sound good... bonus!  Now, they are not antiquated on the inside with the updated horns/ports//etc.

Now, if you are looking at spending around 6K on a set, I would strongly, and I mean strongly listen to both the Focal Electra 1028BE and the Focal Electra 1038BE.  The 1028BE can be found used in the 3k-4k price range.  The 1038BE's can still be found new in the upper 6K range.  These, for most people in the real world, will be better sounding speakers.  I had the luxury of comparing a set of Focal 1028BE's to my RF 83's/Forte II's and RF 7's in my own listening space.... and after much critical listening, my brother summed it up perfectly; "The Klipsch speakers sound very good on their own, but they sound like sizzle sticks compared to those goofy European looking things!"  So, if you don't mind the modern look of the Focal speaker, I strongly suggest listening to either of the mentioned models.  Your ears just might thank you.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Cool looking set up, love the woodworking. What i really like about the room besides how it looks is the size, nothing better than a room that has space speakers to breath a little, bet it sounds good. Well done

It will be interesting to compare two sets so far apart in years. I can't blame you It's not easy to let any speakers go especially when you have had them for so many years.

What kind of wood used for all of that, good looking grain pattern. 

I bet you are excited, new speakers are always fun.

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

Cool looking set up, love the woodworking. What i really like about the room besides how it looks is the size, nothing better than a room that has space speakers to breath a little, bet it sounds good. Well done

It will be interesting to compare two sets so far apart in years. I can't blame you It's not easy to let any speakers go especially when you have had them for so many years.

What kind of wood used for all of that, good looking grain pattern. 

I bet you are excited, new speakers are always fun.

Walnut to match the Walnut Cornwalls 😃! And thanks, wish I could take credit but I did not build. I just sent a talented guy a crappy sketch and he brought it to life. Tomfoolery Wood out of Seattle area. Ships nationwide, all sorts of cool vinyl storage pieces.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

I can see how some poeple say they are antiquated.  I think I would say that they have that older boxy look going on...and some people like that.  I think they are perfect for a slight mid century modern appeal.  Will they win any  speaker design competitions...nope!  But if you like them and they sound good... bonus!  Now, they are not antiquated on the inside with the updated horns/ports//etc.

Well some buy for looks also, good for them, whatever makes them happy.

My wife and I buy for sound, 99.99 people would not have what we have, we could care less what other do or think about looks, especially in our house. She picked out our last speakers and I couldn't stop smiling. She heard them and said that's what I want, it was what I wanted also so it couldn't have worked better. 

30 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

after much critical listening, my brother summed it up perfectly; "The Klipsch speakers sound very good on their own, but they sound like sizzle sticks compared to those goofy European looking things!"  So, if you don't mind the modern look of the Focal speaker, I strongly suggest listening to either of the mentioned models.  Your ears just might thank you.

That's why they make so many different speakers, everyone hears different things. Me personally I don't like modern looking speakers just on looks but if they sound good looks are second, it's about as far away from what we like as could be possible. We like PRO speakers, large but sensitive and live sounding speakers, crazy detail and an unbelievable large sound. Don't mistake all of that for loud, any speaker can do loud. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, salbake said:

Walnut to match the Walnut Cornwalls

Our Cornwall lll's are Walnut they look great. I did not care for the Cherry and black would have been our last choice anyway. Also Forte lll's in Walnut, other 2 pair of Forte ll's are Oak, 6 used for HT.  I think the new Cornwall's are like the new Forte's, they call it American Walnut nice looking wood. 

2 Ch speakers are red Oak, oiled.

Ok I like wood grain what can I say

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, salbake said:

In the end I would go for sound over looks every time. I bet I would have preferred the sound of the 1038’s. Just nowhere to go audition, and Cornwalls cheaper. 

Easy for us, sound quality first, but I can understand why some have to have something that looks a certain way to fit in better with how they want there house to look, whatever makes them happy as long as they still sound good. 

We have been through many speakers over the years, married 42 years and we, like many people in this hobby we have chased to find the sound we wanted for our last speakers. Well we found them 11 years ago, they will never win a beauty pageant or be in any home decorating magazine but we like the looks and they sound amazing. I asked the wife if she wanted me to make grills for them and she looked at me like I was crazy and said I want to see the horns. Ok

If you know what Jubilee is it's the same top horn but bigger bass bins, MWM bins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well we killed a little time while you wait, still have to wait a little more. :sad:

I appreciate it haha, waiting is the hardest part! Ordered new cables that are set to arrive at my local dealer Tuesday. Shipment tracker on the speakers shows them one state over. Hopefully jamming by Wednesday!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:57 AM, Iteachstem said:

I will start by saying I loved the Cornwall III's when I auditioned them many years ago.  Unfortunately, spending that amount of money at the time was out of the question. (I'm a teacher)  The only other speaker in the room that sounded marginally better to me was, of course, the klipschorns... even more out of my price range at the time.  Now that my house is paid off, I'm on the prowl for a nice set of speakers for my 2.2 system ( 2 mains and two subs) that is in my living room which opens up into the dining room and kitchen.  I plan on auditioning the Cornwall IV's and give them a fair chance.  Although, I always like to buy used to save a bunch!  I love it when poeple have to run out and buy the latest and greatest gear, and then in 6 months to a year it up for sale at a significant discount!  (Well, most of the time, sometimes people think their used gear is worth just as much as when it was new!) 

Now, if you are looking at spending around 6K on a set, I would strongly, and I mean strongly listen to both the Focal Electra 1028BE and the Focal Electra 1038BE.  The 1028BE can be found used in the 3k-4k price range.  The 1038BE's can still be found new in the upper 6K range.  These, for most people in the real world, will be better sounding speakers.  I had the luxury of comparing a set of Focal 1028BE's to my RF 83's/Forte II's and RF 7's in my own listening space.... and after much critical listening, my brother summed it up perfectly; "The Klipsch speakers sound very good on their own, but they sound like sizzle sticks compared to those goofy European looking things!"  So, if you don't mind the modern look of the Focal speaker, I strongly suggest listening to either of the mentioned models.  Your ears just might thank you.

Cornwall looks like a gentle giant. However, there are a lot of expensive ugly and mean looking speakers out there. :-D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VNC Studio said:

Cornwall looks like a gentle giant. However, there are a lot of expensive ugly and mean looking speakers out there. 😄

ok ----what do you recommend --------------