Cornwall IV ... Love 'em or Hate 'em

RaceCoach

2 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

are you impressed so far

Just have FM radio going on low for next few days. I know at least half of people think cables are snake oil, but they’re new today too and have 100 hour burn in. Initial impressions were good though. I think it’s like comparing a 1980 Corvette to a 2020 Corvette. My old Cornwalls weren’t “slow.” It’s not some night and day thing. And neither set of Cornwalls are Lamborghinis. But happy! Sound great

Edited by salbake
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, RandyH 000 said:

are you impressed so far

I would say after a day with em the IVs have more 3D depth, a bit better base, and the biggest difference is that the IVs seem to make the whole room a sweet spot. The 1s I feel like I kind of had to be sitting in the right place. I would say the IVs are a bit “better” but the 1s are still fantastic.

1 minute ago, salbake said:

I would say after a day with em the IVs have more 3D depth, a bit better base, and the biggest difference is that the IVs seem to make the whole room a sweet spot. The 1s I feel like I kind of had to be sitting in the right place. I would say the IVs are a bit “better” but the 1s are still fantastic.

are your  your CW1  speakers original or were they modified -------------and the bigger question  -are you going to keep the CW 1

6 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

are your  your CW1  speakers original or were they modified -------------and the bigger question  -are you going to keep the CW 1

Original. I am second owner got them 3 years ago. Probably keeping them. They are the Mint-iest 40 year old pair of speakers. Original brochures, manuels, etc - he even never mailed in the warranty card but kept it. I love them so much 😆🤷‍♂️.

I paid $2500 for the Cornwalls, a Yamaha CR-1020 receiver, a Bang and Olufsen Beogram turntable, a new B&O cartridge, and about 80 decent records. So minus about $600 for the receiver, $100 for the turntable, $200 for the cartridge (which was a pleasant surprise), $160 for the records...I paid $1440 for the Cornwalls 🤷‍♂️. My guess is most would say I overpaid and wouldn’t offer me enough for me to want to sell. But dang you have to see and hear these things 🤙

F6B57F10-EC7E-419C-BAF9-6036D53985CD.jpeg

777DF78D-FDA4-425B-A1C8-9B2ADC7706CE.jpeg

EEC9CE91-D529-4166-869D-9826D7FD1F17.jpeg

Edited by salbake
  • Like 3

Man the prices of used cornwalls have really crept up. I bought a pair of 1987 CW IIs about 6 or 7 years ago for 600.00. They were in great condition with the exception of a drink ring on top of one speaker. I know I lucked out at that price, but now you routinely see them for 1500.00.

Shakey

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2020 at 6:12 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Man the prices of used cornwalls have really crept up. I bought a pair of 1987 CW IIs about 6 or 7 years ago for 600.00. They were in great condition with the exception of a drink ring on top of one speaker. I know I lucked out at that price, but now you routinely see them for 1500.00.

Shakey

The price of everything is crazy. A pair of La Scalas here has been at $2900 for months and the dude is not budging. Last set around here sold for $2000 and it was nice but nothing special. Heresy's for $750 and the sellers hang tough and they brag about them being "untouched" so they need work right away. I know the speakers I am working on will be listed for much more than they would have been a year ago because they are bringing much more and you can't replace them at a good price unless you are really lucky.

The price paid for Klipsch averaged over the last five years has become a meaningless number this last year and it is now what are they bringing today.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:40 AM, salbake said:

My guess is most would say I overpaid and wouldn’t offer me enough for me to want to sell. But dang you have to see and hear these things

You did not over pay and it was also not a bargain. It is hard to find top condition Klipsch though so I don't think you did bad at all. The guy in the picture needs to get a haircut though as he is looking a bit shaggy.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 6:47 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Mine will be delivered Tuesday, but i am out of town til friday. Can't wait to hear em.

Shakey

Well I have to say the spatials are sold and boxed and ready to ship on Friday. I don’t usually do it that way, but I guess my faith in the CW IV is pretty strong. We will see.

Shakey