Cornwall IV ... Love 'em or Hate 'em

RaceCoach

Since I was in my 20's and heard a set of cornwalls in a small audio shop I've always wanted to own a set.  However, at the time, I couldn't afford to buy a pair.  Well, fast forward several decades, now I can afford to buy a pair.  However, I wish they would knock off about 6" on the width and ad it to the depth!  This would help modernize the look and perhaps help with the wife approval factor for some of you out there! They don't need to hug the wall as a center channel between to khorns anymore. Although, I do think they would go well in mid century mod. architecture!

On 1/16/2021 at 11:28 AM, DavidWebber72 said:

Since I was in my 20's and heard a set of cornwalls in a small audio shop I've always wanted to own a set.  However, at the time, I couldn't afford to buy a pair.  Well, fast forward several decades, now I can afford to buy a pair.  However, I wish they would knock off about 6" on the width and ad it to the depth!  This would help modernize the look and perhaps help with the wife approval factor for some of you out there! They don't need to hug the wall as a center channel between to khorns anymore. Although, I do think they would go well in mid century mod. architecture!

Agreed. The wife hates how big they are. Her complaining ALMOST makes me regret buying them. Otherwise they’re the best sounding speakers I’ve ever had in my room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

lucky you don't own khorns or the new jubilee ---you guessed it -the small speaker  at the far right is a Cornwall

My wife hates my Heresy IIIs and calls them "huge"...and they are the smallest Heritage...

Cornwall - LV and diamonds for the next 10 years as payback

Khorns - divorce reason: "irreconcilable speakers"

Jubilee -  murder reason: "temporary insanity and self-defense from speakers"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fmalloy said:

My wife hates my Heresy IIIs and calls them "huge"...

That's interesting.  My wife calls those "little speakers". 

Mine's a keeper... :biggrin2:

Chris

1177882490_ChrisAssetup-elevatedviewsmall.jpg.fd42600ab80683bdb9d641fa2af2ebfd.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, Rockrubber1 said:

Agreed. The wife hates how big they are. Her complaining ALMOST makes me regret buying them. Otherwise they’re the best sounding speakers I’ve ever had in my room. 

How many things in your house did your wife choose?   Geeeze... seems you could choose your speakers.  I’m lucky my wife is a good sport!

On 1/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, Chris A said:

That's interesting.  My wife calls those "little speakers". 

Mine's a keeper... :biggrin2:

Chris

1177882490_ChrisAssetup-elevatedviewsmall.jpg.fd42600ab80683bdb9d641fa2af2ebfd.jpg

My wife would take one look at those and say - there is no way those are allowed in my house!

This looks like basement man cave...in my house, no basement, and no man cave :(

I guess you listen to your music with your eyes, then... 😉

I use my ears, however.  So does my wife.  And when the lights go down in the evenings for movie time, it beats anything that I've ever heard in a movie theater, or anywhere else.  It's a pleasure turning the setup on in the morning and listening to them ~12-14 hours/day. 

I recommend fidelity over some preconceived idea of what it must look like...it's a lot more enjoyable than I've ever imagined before I bought them.

Chris

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, muel said:

How many things in your house did your wife choose?   Geeeze... seems you could choose your speakers.  I’m lucky my wife is a good sport!

Yeah, I hear you.

The wife pretty much controls everything. Esthetics are everything. To her, the built-in TV speakers sound just dandy, and wonders why we can't get those little white Bose cubes mounted on the wall :(

My listening room is the family room, open to the kitchen, and the TV is there. To her, the Heresy is huge and ugly. No other room to retreat to.

I have the means to buy Cornwalls, La Scalas, or even Khorns. Money is not the issue. :(

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

I guess you listen to your music with your eyes, then... 😉

I use my ears, however.  So does my wife.  And when the lights go down in the evenings for movie time, it beats anything that I've ever heard in a movie theater, or anywhere else.  It's a pleasure turning the setup on in the morning and listening to them ~12-14 hours/day. 

I recommend fidelity over some preconceived idea of what it must look like...it's a lot more enjoyable than I've ever imagined.

Chris

Sounds like you have a spouse that appreciates fidelity. My wife can barely tell the difference between the Heresy pair and the speakers in the TV. She has even admitted that she has a "tin ear".

I think once she had her girlfriends over for drinks (no men allowed) and she did turn up the music to enjoy the Heresies. But to her, not worth the space. I figured - they look like furniture, cherry wood and nice grilles. She doesn't see them that way :(

• 6 months later...

Love, Love & Love.

My living room is also my exercise room. It opens to dinning room and kitchen. Wife used to the BP20 in and I moved it out. She is now fine with where ever speakers at after 34 years. :) 

CW IV owners should give SET 300B amp a try. My CW IV and REL HT/1508 was original paired with ARC LS2 + Parasound A21. Then came the Willsenton R8 (better than LS2+A21 after changed 6SL7 to MEL) and now with Muzishare X9.

The X9 was original for vocal, jazz and blue Disco and electronic music also sound awesome with the X9+CW IV+REL combo. It sounds so good  with stock tubes on the third day. I decided to hold on the Pontus II DAC.

20210731_162602[1].jpg

• Like 2

After about a month of ownership I've come to the conclusion that getting too aggressive with toe-in can really diminish the sense of scale, and narrow the soundstage. Which I suppose would make sense. I've found the sweet spot for them in my room to be about as close to the corner wall as possible (2 inches on side wall, about 8 inches on back wall), and toe them in just ever so slightly. Room is pretty small, 11ft wide, 16ft long and 7ft ceilings. One day I'm going to build a house here with a purpose built listening room.

• Like 1