Cornwall IV ... Love 'em or Hate 'em

RaceCoach

14 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

After about a month of ownership I've come to the conclusion that getting too aggressive with toe-in can really diminish the sense of scale, and narrow the soundstage. Which I suppose would make sense. I've found the sweet spot for them in my room to be about as close to the corner wall as possible (2 inches on side wall, about 8 inches on back wall), and toe them in just ever so slightly. Room is pretty small, 11ft wide, 16ft long and 7ft ceilings. One day I'm going to build a house here with a purpose built listening room.

You are correct, extreme toe in decreases the sound stage. When I had it slightly toe in, it sounded great at my work station in the dinning room but not at my listening position which is only about 8ft from speakers. My living room is 14x17x8 and mostly opened to the dinning room 13x15x8. The right speaker is 32in from the sidewall and 37in from the backwall while left speaker is 12in from side and 16 from back/fireplace. This off symmetry placement took away most reflecting sound from walls and provide ideal sound stage width and depth for the near field listening critical position while provides decent musical at my work station about 17ft from speakers. The window in the back wall and patio door at the side wall also good for adjusting amount of reflection sounds too. 

• Like 1

Added a Green 24” iMac and had a walnut desk made that will hold more vinyl one day. Behind the chair are 2 vinyl cubbies same size as the others. Desk is same width as console the MAC7200 rests on, and the opening the keyboard rests on is same width as the opening where the furman power conditioner is…so the desk and console are kind of cousins. (Vinyl towers are 1/4 width of center console.  desk and console are 4 cubbies wide, center openings are 2 cubbies wide. I think the towers are 7 ft tall, can’t remember). Anywho….Cornwall IV mancave just about complete. The room is an absolute blast and Cornwall IVs should be on your shortlist IMO. They are highly detailed, full, not too bright. Home theater I might add a subwoofer but I find absolutely no need in a two channel setup. Sometimes I  add a little base at the receiver controls if I feel like it.

40FB2657-0772-49E1-85E2-DB9F271BD219.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, Slowestrider said:

You are correct, extreme toe in decreases the sound stage. When I had it slightly toe in, it sounded great at my work station in the dinning room but not at my listening position which is only about 8ft from speakers. My living room is 14x17x8 and mostly opened to the dinning room 13x15x8. The right speaker is 32in from the sidewall and 37in from the backwall while left speaker is 12in from side and 16 from back/fireplace. This off symmetry placement took away most reflecting sound from walls and provide ideal sound stage width and depth for the near field listening critical position while provides decent musical at my work station about 17ft from speakers. The window in the back wall and patio door at the side wall also good for adjusting amount of reflection sounds too. 

My room is also mostly opened up to another room. I think this does add to a lively room, which I'm glad because I couldn't visually deal with the speakers being setup anything other than perfectly symmetrical in my room lol.