The Klipsch Audio Community

This is all about cosmetics.

Anyone interested in a pair of KG 5.5? I have a pair here, and would entertain your ideas doing a custom finish on them for you. The condition is already fantastic and they would make for a nice canvas to bring them up to either a custom or modern look. I am rating the current starting condition 9.5/10 realistically only requiring a new lacquer topcoat. Grills are also 9.9/10 & 9.5/10. If you have seen my work before you know to expect professional results. If you have some suggestions that fit your family's style, then post a pic here and I will tell you if I can replicate it for you on the KG 5.5's. Weathered? Black? Antique? Clear? Mission oak? Custom dye? Glazed? Tell me what you want them to be.

I know you guys want prices listed here, so if I must, the "as is" base price is $500 stock medium oak with 3 new coats of lacquer applied. Can barely buy a pair of Klipsch 600M bookshelves for that. I have not started doing anything with these just yet. I am willing to wait to hear what you had in mind first. I am happy to just see where this thread goes. I could potentially even create a poll and vote on options if your not a buyer, but you think it would be worth it. The more feedback the better. I am just trying to bring to you a lower cost entry point into the world of finely finished Klipsch speakers in like new, but used, condition. Expect to see more of my projects coming up in the near future.

King of all the Klipsch KG series

Probably the most underrated of all Klipsch floorstanders with dual active 10" woofers and a tractix horn

http://images.klipsch.com/Brochure_920500-4_KG_635363542117526000.pdf

Specifications:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 1watt/1meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
TWEETER K-85-K 1″  Polymer dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER Two K-1023-K 10″  Injected Carbon Graphite cones
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via front-mounted port
DIMENSIONS 37.5″  x 12.25″  x 17.5″ 
WEIGHT 69 lbs. 
BUILT FROM 1994
BUILT UNTIL 1997

• Like 1

I am thinking of going this route. How do you like the color scheme on these?

c0546d17034419834ee5a0062d6f401d.jpg

FEWJFsB9LGQa9fmY6JxguG-970-80.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yea a little darker than my favorite but really if it turned up at my door cold wet and shivering, I wont be turning it away.

Found it. I think this is will be it. Probably not far from the current Klipsch distressed oak finishes. Subtle, modern, understated.

Likey?

77081690_10156304502410566_1140613326632386560_n.jpg

• Like 1

I am assuming quarter cut oak finish like forte line?  If so, with the rougher grain they should look great.  You have my vote, and depending on outcome may have my forte II, to re-finish as well.

Regards

John

• Thanks 1

You have tickled me with interest... the shipping cost might be my only deterrent.  Almost 140 lbs. of speakers, not sure what it would take to get it to NY.  As for finishes, I like the darker cherry look. 

Charlie

1 hour ago, Charlie Hustle said:

You have tickled me with interest... the shipping cost might be my only deterrent.  Almost 140 lbs. of speakers, not sure what it would take to get it to NY.  As for finishes, I like the darker cherry look. 

Charlie

Thanks for the interest. Freight shipping on a pallet only. Just purchased the materials for the finish today. Going with Graystone. Not sold yet, but I have heard plenty of interest within that color range. Possibly headed South soon. I will do something in a dark cherry on a future project. Stay tuned folks, I should have some pics up towards the end of the week.

I eagerly await the pictures.