Tropical Storm Arthur/Amanda/Cristobal

billybob

Just now, Budman said:

we @ cincy-dayton are officially underwater

Sorry to hear that.  My daughter got caught in a flash flood last week.  We got 6" of rain in a little over an hour.  The engine in her car hydrolocked and we're currently going through the insurance process.

• Moderators

Our daughter went through that about a year ago after pulling in a McDonalds parking lot which had a deep spot in the middle of the parking lot right where you drive, and no barricade or anything to let you know it was more than just a few inches, no other standing water in the whole parking lot. Had to replace the engine herself, the business said sorry, come to find out she was not the first it was an ongoing problem. Cars doing fine now after a couple thousand to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:24 PM, BigStewMan said:

I remember one day in SoCal when it was 59 degrees. I remember it because I was wearing my North Face down backpacking jacket! Wimpy below 60 degrees. That day a friend of a friend was visiting from Northern Cal (Blue Lake) and had shorts and a t shirt. Of course he gave me hell. You get acclimated and that's that.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Sounds like Honolulu.  I think the all time record low is in the high 50's.

I spent seven days in Honolulu once. I really liked it and the weather was great. One day, i did venture to the other side of the island and noticed my Asthma getting ready to make itself known. Is the other side of the island always more humid? 

17 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

It's just the opposite here in Wa state. As soon as it hits 55 and sunny, the shorts and flip flops are out. In Ca I froze at 60 degrees. Here I revel in 60 degrees. Funny that way.

Very true.  After working in Michigan for nearly four years, when i returned to LA, nobody in my family wore a coat the first year we were back. Then we acclimated again and 59 required the heavy jackets. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I spent seven days in Honolulu once. I really liked it and the weather was great. One day, i did venture to the other side of the island and noticed my Asthma getting ready to make itself known. Is the other side of the island always more humid? 

Yes.  The mountains cause it to rain much more over there, much like Washington has the wet western and dry eastern side of the Cascades.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yes.  The mountains cause it to rain much more over there, much like Washington has the wet western and dry eastern side of the Cascades.

and it’s a world of difference on each side of the mountain. Oregon is the same way. Arid on the east side which i prefer, but all the fun is on the west side. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 5/20/2020 at 4:53 PM, BigStewMan said:

Oregon is the same way. Arid on the east side which i prefer, but all the fun is on the west side. 

That's the story of your luck, you were at the airport when your ship came in. 

Although you have pretty good luck blocking a truck, most people don't make it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's the story of your luck, you were at the airport when your ship came in. 

Although you have pretty good luck blocking a truck, most people don't make it.

actually, the weather woes that i suffer now are self-inflicted. I left SoCal by choice because i was ready for a different adventure. NOT the adventure of my brother getting cancer and walking with him down this rough road -- i just wanted to experience life somewhere else for a change. 

But, i lived most of my life there and enjoyed the best weather for a very long time. Will i ever return there?  I don’t know. Probably; but most likely not back to the beach. I may have to start making money again if i did that and not sure i want to rejoin that rat race. Kinda miss my family though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Sorry about your brother but i am sure he is very glad your there for him. That's bad enough but to go through it by yourself is worse I would think, but it's hard on both of you.

I think not being in a big city is better for your health, less stress, expense, traffic, crime, but you can't have that weather everywhere, have to give up something I guess. Maby a little closer to your family ? I cant answer that, not everyone want's to be around family, just depends.

• Like 1