Tropical Storm Arthur/Amanda/Cristobal

billybob

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Rain can be bad news. Back in 2010 Nashville had over 30" and today as I drive around it still boggles my mind that at one time EVERY road going into Nashville was under water.

I remember seeing that, that's just a very abnormal amount of rain, it reminds me of when that storm parked over where Carl and Michael live around South East Texas, it just sat there for a week. I don't remember what the total was for that week.

9 minutes ago, willland said:
38 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

...and when you get done with the rain, send it our way.

Where is your way?:unsure:

Bill

Out in the desert close to the Mexican border, and little else except for the spiraling metropolis of Arivaca Arizona. And I thought we lived out in the sticks. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

2000 miles west... Tucson

Our "monsoon" is Gulf moisture

I would imagine out in the desert and mountains many things would get destroyed with a large amount of rain, flash floods through the hills ?

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Oh yeah. Ever seen Escalante in Utah?

Forgot the name but after looking it up I remembered, I have never been there. But have seen a couple documentaries on it,  one was about photography, the other was just a general explanation, which included how dangerous it can be for hikers if it were to start raining, even in the distance.

One of those places I would like to just wander around taking pictures.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Light breeze and a sprinkle off an on, nothing really. It will probably just be some ran and wind gust.

But just in case I took down the 6 large hanging ferns on the patio and the wind chimes, almost forgot and both of the 2 new flags and poles. I will go out to the bar in a minute and see if anything needs to be set on the ground and lay in a hammock for a while it's breezy and a little cool.

Here Friday morning got 2 inches thinking from 5-10 AM.

Saturday, rained steady all day and night and now, still raining, harder at tines. No wind yet but, it will likely be some later. Orlando had a downtown tornado.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, billybob said:

No wind yet but, it will likely be some later.

I kind of doubt it, none here yet and it's right off the coast, light breeze, much less than a normal thunderstorm. Maby a little more when it gets a little closer to us ? Not complaining it's better than if it sat out there and got much stronger. 

But watching radar last night it looked as if South Florida and somewhat up by you got alot of rain. I went to bed last night about 2:30 and we had a really light sprinkle off and on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

I kind of doubt it, none here yet and it's right off the coast, light breeze, much less than a normal thunderstorm. Maby a little more when it gets a little closer to us ? Not complaining it's better than if it sat out there and got much stronger. 

But watching radar last night it looked as if South Florida and somewhat up by you got alot of rain. I went to bed last night about 2:30 and we had a really light sprinkle off and on.

Yes maybe no winds here. But yes, Florida definitely getting the rain.

Fortunately here on the coast, it will take more than we will end up receiving to do any real flooding.

Other inland places, will see some.

We can use the rain. I can stand the relief from the heat. Just heard my first thunder in days. Suppose to go all the way to Wisconsin up the Mississippi River Valley.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, grasshopper said:

...and when you get done with the rain, send it our way.

Seriously, those storms in the gulf can undo our rainy season... featured the end of ths month.

back in Eastern NY , we're seeing regular rain , and for the past week  , I dont even have to water my vegetable garden , I have to back off , using the water hose  , nature is doing the work for me -kinda cool in one way , but boring at the same time , my garden is on automatic mode -

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yea we can use the rain also, but that satellite pictures yesterday was quite shocking. It showed the whole gulf and all of Florida, in the gulf was the TS and they had some rain around it but nothing terrible.

But offshore in the gulf and about from Miami North had a huge area that showed up black and a couple hundred miles into the gulf heading toward Florida. It would have covered from Miami to between palm beach and Orlando in some crazy amount of rain. It looked really bad many times worse than what was around the storm. I don't know if it died off or not before going onshore, but if you were in a boat out there it would have been crazy. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yea we can use the rain also, but that satellite pictures yesterday was quite shocking. It showed the whole gulf and all of Florida, in the gulf was the TS and they had some rain around it but nothing terrible.

But offshore in the gulf and about from Miami North had a huge area that showed up black and a couple hundred miles into the gulf heading toward Florida. It would have covered from Miami to between palm beach and Orlando in some crazy amount of rain. It looked really bad many times worse than what was around the storm. I don't know if it died off or not but if you were in a boat out there it would have been crazy. 

Lol, yes it is already starting off with a bang, as far as rain. Will watch for your heavier rain and more wind, if it comes. Hope you

got out of the work, lol.

I go out of mowing this weekend. My rider would make ruts and just much it up.

-------Booby  ---all that rain  is giving us a lot of grass to cut ,  every week non-stop  ------- I got over 50k square feet of grass to cut , , and I cant use a rider given the terrain ---it's all done  by foot ----it's the best of exercise , great for the lungs , the heart , the shoulders , the back ,  can't hurt  all but keep me  in  good shape -------

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Professor, glad that you are young and healthy. Have been using a pusher and am too healthy. Thought I would try a rider, as am

too musclebound now. Have to enter my home by squeezing in.sideways. You should have thought about that before growing

all that grass. Thinking about plowing up mine and making

a stone garden.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, billybob said:

Will watch for your heavier rain and more wind, if it comes. Hope you

got out of the work, lol.

As far as work, it's all somewhat self inflected, we have been redoing 2 rooms from termite damage, that was not directly my fault. One bedroom wall and 1/2 the ceiling and the spare bedroom floor above it, that's all back together now and went well. But now it's the painting, new flooring and the worst part for me the trim, I hate doing trim.

This is on the bottom bedroom, the top one still has just 2 layers of 3/4" plywood down and nothing else, and won't be touched until the bottom room is done. At that point i will replace the window in the upstairs room and start to paint and floor it, we got the new window and of course it's a different size so i need to re frame up for the new window before we start to finish it. 

Today is painting the bedroom downstairs, we went yesterday and got the flooring and paint, next after paint will be the floor. We picked some good laminate for that room, for the better stuff is not cheap anymore but there making it much better. 

This the color of the floor, but NOT the room, advertisement pic. The wall will be a medium light grey, the grandsons bedroom so he picked the colors. 

montrose-oak-home-decorators-collection-laminate-wood-flooring-hdcwr24-31_145.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thinking about plowing up mine and making

a stone garden.

I hope you get better --I have a rider that I use for snowblowing ,  I destroyed a few riders with the grass ---- I  have small and big commercial mowers for thick brush and small branches that grow on top of grass  ----at 275 ,I aint small either and the exercise  the hard work, and getting dirty  is my way to stay strong  ,  tell you what , it's a lot easier than lifting railroad ties  -

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH said:

all that rain  is giving us a lot of grass to cut ,  every week non-stop  ------- I got over 50k square feet of grass to cut , , and I cant use a rider given the terrain ---it's all done  by foot -

50K sf is not much......until you start pushing then it's alot and like you said non-stop. That would be rough for me. I cut our 6 acres and my sisters around the corners 3.5 the huge difference is i am sitting my butt on a tractor with a roof for shade listening to music, that I can handle, what you do might kill me. 

33 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have been using a pusher and am too healthy. Thought I would try a rider, as am

too musclebound now. Have to enter my home by squeezing in.sideways.

Wow, you bad azz you, I have never had to deal with those being a problem, ever.

36 minutes ago, billybob said:

You should have thought about that before growing

all that grass. Thinking about plowing up mine and making

Yep plow it up and plant a different kind of grass, you would never need to cut it everybody would be sneaking to cut it to steal it. You could sit inside looking out and laughing. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

As far as work, it's all somewhat self inflected, we have been redoing 2 rooms from termite damage, that was not directly my fault. One bedroom wall and 1/2 the ceiling and the spare bedroom floor above it, that's all back together now and went well. But now it's the painting, new flooring and the worst part for me the trim, I hate doing trim.

This is on the bottom bedroom, the top one still has just 2 layers of 3/4" plywood down and nothing else, and won't be touched until the bottom room is done. At that point i will replace the window in the upstairs room and start to paint and floor it, we got the new window and of course it's a different size so i need to re frame up for the new window before we start to finish it. 

Today is painting the bedroom downstairs, we went yesterday and got the flooring and paint, next after paint will be the floor. We picked some good laminate for that room, for the better stuff is not cheap anymore but there making it much better. 

This the color of the floor, but NOT the room, advertisement pic. The wall will be a medium light grey, the grandsons bedroom so he picked the colors. 

montrose-oak-home-decorators-collection-laminate-wood-flooring-hdcwr24-31_145.jpg

Lol, sorry about that. Inside work. Saw you had mentioned that you

had that happen. That flooring

works for me. Figure if not enough

humidity, may as well. You do good work have seen before. Maybe a volunteer will show up to do the trim. Certainly if I were doing the

baseboards, would have to have someone help me to get up. Lol. thanks

• Haha 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, RandyH said:

-at 275 ,I aint small either and the exercise  the hard work, and getting dirty  is my way to stay strong

I'm about 10 pounds less then you and have always thought the same way, problem is now I'm getting older and I get tired faster and could loose some weight to feel better with my old self.

12 minutes ago, RandyH said:

tell you what , it's a lot easier than lifting railroad ties  -

Positively, have moved hundreds, my dad retired from the railroad so we were able to get old ones free so I built things with them, raised beds small ponds all kinds of things, but there no fun to move.  

This storm is so boring were talking about cutting grass and work. Which is a good thing, much better than telling you were out of here.

Wind slightly picked up a little but nothing really, there saying it slowed from 12 mph to 5 mph so we will be in for a little more rain it seems.

• Like 1