Seeburg DDS-1's with Altec H-811 horn and dual 15" Utah Drivers

Frzninvt

Came across this ad on Craigslist in the event anyone has any interest.  Apparently the woofers just need to be refoamed.  I am sure they would sound excellent.  I sent him an email to go take a look at them and I will pick them up and put them in storage.  Anyone know a place that can refoam the vintage 15" Utah woofers?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ele/d/westford-please-save-these-kings-of/7125648446.html

Those would be very cool.  If closer, I’d be all over them.

Check with local musicians.  Find out who repairs their amps. There must be several  alternatives within driving distance.

I needed a recone of one of the EV woofers in a pair of HIPs. At the recommendation of @ClaudeJ1, I had both reconed. The results are visually and sonically excellent.

Too bad there wasn’t a law against foam surrounds.

2CB1AD2E-8230-4568-B534-9E2A6B7CB735.jpeg

I found this video on Youtube of them in action.  I also found the guy's for sale ad and he states they weigh 172lbs apiece.  Oh goodness!

My wife and I will struggle to get these in the car hope the guy is around to assist.

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Too bad there wasn’t a law against foam surrounds.

No kidding. JBL was one of the worst offenders in this game for sure. In contrast the accordion pleats of Klipsch woofers seem to last forever. That being said, Eminence uses foam surrounds on their LAB drivers.............BUT the chemistry of today is quite good and they are not subject to the old "foam rot" of the past. Don't you wish everything else in life lasted as long as Classic and Heritage SPEAKERS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Came across this ad on Craigslist in the event anyone has any interest.  Apparently the woofers just need to be refoamed.  I am sure they would sound excellent.  I sent him an email to go take a look at them and I will pick them up and put them in storage.  Anyone know a place that can refoam the vintage 15" Utah woofers?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/ele/d/westford-please-save-these-kings-of/7125648446.html

If they are not ported, all new woofers with rubber or foam surrounds from Part Express can be used as replacements for about $120-400 TOTAL. All brand new. GRS, Goldwood, or Dayton all make woofers with a Higher Q for this purpose. cheaper than paying a reconer.

44 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If they are not ported, all new woofers with rubber or foam surrounds from Part Express can be used as replacements for about $120-400 TOTAL. All brand new. GRS, Goldwood, or Dayton all make woofers with a Higher Q for this purpose. cheaper than paying a reconer.

Good to know Claude they are most likely ported from the little bit of research I have done and the woofers are 16 ohms connected in parallel I assume.  I have no direct use or place for them if I do manage to get them as I have not received a reply yet.  I was planning on keeping them in storage for someone that may want them rather than them ending up in a scrap heap.

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Good to know Claude they are most likely ported from the little bit of research I have done and the woofers are 16 ohms connected in parallel I assume.  I have no direct use or place for them if I do manage to get them as I have not received a reply yet.  I was planning on keeping them in storage for someone that may want them rather than them ending up in a scrap heap.

Well, it is a noble cause, so good of you to do that. If they are ported, then it opens up WAY MORE CHOICES of woofers. With twin 8 ohms in parallel would work great, but would necessitate minor crossover change.

When I was a little kid from Montreal, I vaguely remember my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. coming states side to got to Plattsburgh Beach, right across the lake, but had to be in the 60's, probably around the time the speakers were manufactured. LOL.

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

If you decide to keep them and replace the woofers, I can help you with the selection process of new woofers, to make them better than ever, including the Xover mod.

• Like 2

I tried to buy a pair of DDS-1’s a while back. Owned by a engineer who at one time worked at Stax Studios. They hung by chains in one of the studios, at 175 lbs apiece, documented by photos. I bet they played some iconic music. I was outbid by the Stax Museum. The speakers are under repair, and I’m told will be back on their chains in the recreated studio. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I am currently working on a set of these. Put them together without sound deadener for some preliminary testing and just for fun.  I swear they sound better if I leave one woofer disconnected. With both woofers the bass sounds muted. With only one you get a nice low subwoofer thump out of them. How is this possible?  Can I do something to get that with two woofers?  Any guidance to improve these classic speakers will be much appreciated.