help finding preamp for Khorns

listen

My Juicy Music Peach preamp is broken and I am looking to replace it, so was hoping to get suggestions from anyone who has heard the Juicy Music and could recommend a preamp that sounds close to it. Or better, in terms of sounding like live music.  $4500 is the most I would care to spend. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  My power amp is an MC152 if that matters.

If your not hung up on having a Tube Preamp then I would suggest you consider a used McIntosh C50 which you should be able to find in your price range and from a sound quality aspect I would put up against any preamp Tube or SS.  But what really sets it apart is the ability to implement the Tone Controls which can widely expand the number of recordings you can enjoy due to the majority of less than ideal recordings the industry has chosen to provide us. One is listed currently in the garage section and Audio Classics also has them at times and usually comes with a 1year warranty.

Also please don’t get me wrong because I have owned excellent Tube preamps like the Cary SLP98L or SLP98P (this version includes phono section) which I would highly recommend you consider if a tube preamp is a must for you because it is an excellent design and extremely well built point to point wired unit that should last for generations like the classics such as the Marantz 7c and McIntosh C22 for example.

Good luck on your search 🙂

miketn

• Like 1

To give some context I've had a Juicy BB, and BBX was content for a long time. Then about 5 years ago I cycled through a JF Lessard, Placette passive, George Wright WLA 12a and a Prima Luna prolog. The JFL and Wright are both 6SN7 based which I've find impossible to beat in a tube based pre.

I've landed on a Schiit Freya +, which I expected to sell in less than 6 months figuring I could sell it for a modest loss but see what all the "Schiit" was about. It's not going anywhere. The looks are not really my cup of tea. The sound, more accurately lack of sound is quite impressive. Morgue after quitting time quiet. Give one a try. At your $4,500 budget the Schiit is throw away money. 

If you don't have a lot of switching to do and no MC TT cartridge needs, I'd probably look to retire your amps and eliminate the pre all together. Consider something from ToolShed amps with volume control.

If the passive thing is if any interest...I found the experience very eye opening, check out Khozmo. That is next up for me if I go back passive only which is the mode I use most often on the Schiit Freya+.

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Surely you can send the Juicy preamp to @NOSValves for repair and come in under $4500?

I had the same thought.  If not Craig, other qualified and reputable techs should also be able to repair it well within your budget.  Good luck.

I spoke to Craig and he would be able to take a look at it but not until the end of the year as he is quite busy.  I was hoping there would be a preamp that could sound "live" like the JM but also be a bit quieter. The Peach even when it was working had some noise. But I did love the way it reproduced music. Very pleasing and emotionally involving. I may give the Freya + a try. Am  open to any suggestions, tube or solid state. 

14 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I am serious in recommending a dac or interface straight into the amplifier. IMHO the best preamp is no preamp.

Your system gain structure eliminates the need for a line stage.

Hence the passive suggestion.

• Like 1

I have a Peach (early version I think) sitting in my closet....I have its original wood case and also bought the last Walnut case that Mr. Deneen had when he was shutting things down.  Heck, I think I still have the original box it came in (though that does complicate the point that I have TWO wooden cases for it)  Throw me a PM if intrigued and we can go from there.

PS:  I had sent it back to him for whatever "upgrades" he was doing.  He changed out to the black face and the dials.  

1.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 1