Re-veneered Pioneer PL-518 turntable

avguytx

I know, most everyone has seen these done so I thought I'd add mine to the mix. I stripped off the old material and covered it in some of the remaining ribbon mahogany veneer I had from when I built my Klipsch Belle inspired clones a couple years back. I'm not as thrilled with the phenolic backed veneer as it was thicker than normal paper backed veneer and tougher to work with. But, it does look better than the original silver color as mine had stains on it from its last 40 years of use.

I believe I'm just going to order a new dust cover as I really dont want to spend hours on mine making it look newer. Yeah, it's a hundred bucks but it's bolt on and go and my time is worth that.

20200519_194329_copy_1024x656.jpg

20200519_194317_copy_1024x602.jpg

20200519_194301_copy_1024x616.jpg

20200519_194246_copy_1024x583.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, avguytx said:

I know, most everyone has seen these done so I thought I'd add mine to the mix. I stripped off the old material and covered it in some of the remaining ribbon mahogany veneer I had from when I built my Klipsch Belle inspired clones a couple years back. I'm not as thrilled with the phenolic backed veneer as it was thicker than normal paper backed veneer and tougher to work with. But, it does look better than the original silver color as mine had stains on it from its last 40 years of use.

I believe I'm just going to order a new dust cover as I really dont want to spend hours on mine making it look newer. Yeah, it's a hundred bucks but it's bolt on and go and my time is worth that.

looks much better than the paper thin stock veneer

• Thanks 2