Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Srinath

86 Khorn question

Recommended Posts

My pictures are failing upload - not sure why.

But my question is about wood vs plywood vs MDF. I know Khorn has 54 pieces of wood per speaker.

I know the top is made of edge glued wood. I know the visible painted parts of my bass bin are plywood.

I'm wondering what is wood vs plywood vs MDF on an 86 and if its changed from then to the new ones.

I saw a clip of the designer say mdf when talking about new Khorns recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pr of '87 Khorns I've worked through the bins and tops a few times and I never came upon any MDF - only plywood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, good you saved me that trouble, and the top hat seems to have edge glued wood on top for sure and likely also the bottom ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 10:27 AM, Srinath said:

Nice, good you saved me that trouble, and the top hat seems to have edge glued wood on top for sure and likely also the bottom ?

Sorry, Wrong on both accounts.  The finely-veneered panels on YOURS are ACTUALLY poplar-lumber-core-plywood, finely-veneered on one side, and birch veneered on the other...which was also delivered with fine-veneer edge-banding already attached where edges are visible from the front of the speakers when properly installed into room corners.so are the top-hat side panels and the bass bin front panel.  The bottom panel of the bass bin will be approximately 1/2" thick Baltic Birch plywood, because it was assembled separately as a bass bin "wing assembly", originally!  IIRC, Your K-horns will also ONLY  have  three SOLID wood pieces in each bass bin!  One will be the "splitter" which is mounted to the inside of the front panel of the bass bin, opposite from the compression slot of the woofer motor-board...the other two will be reinforcing blocks for POSITIVE-LONG-TERM-construction assembly for the upper and lower "wing assemblies" which make up portions of the two rearward-bends of the bifurcated Bass horn lens....you can see all of these three solid wood pieces if you open the woofer access door...and look upwards , then downwards to find the pair of reinforcement blocks...then remove the woofer and look thru the compression slot of its motor-board and you will see the "splitter" in front of it...mounted to the bass bin front panel's back side. .  Trust me, they will al be there, as mentioned, I outta know!  I fabricated all of them during  that time era method of K-horn production!  Other than those three items, everything else "wooden" in your K-horns is either poplar-lumber-core plywood, Baltic birch plywood, OR cabinet-grade custom-ordered 3/4 inch birch plywood.  Anything else is one of two types oi glue, or a mixture of the metal stuff: screws, finishing-nails, staples, and T-nuts.

 

EDIT:  Sorry, I forgot!....I left out two more solid wood pine or fir pieces of 2/4 lumber per K-horn...they are at each end of the top-hat H/F motor-board...just look into the rear of the top-hat and you can  see them...one on your left, the other to your right...with grill cloth wrapped around them and then stapled to them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh cool, thanks from someone who may have built mine - Very nice. Let me read and google and learn etc - but you're saying the top pentagon shaped piece is Poplar lumber core plywood ? Not edge glued wood ? Cos I seem to have distinct grain which changed in a sharp line and when viewer from the back edge where its painted black the wood grain also changes as though it has a glue line - but I should also say - its the tightest cleanest most undetectable glue line I have ever seen. So maybe its not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I saw that on some of the 70's Khorns the top hat doesn't come off. Do the side panels come off on those ? What year did the top become removable.

And new Khorns are MDF ? when or if - did that change ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I see some where the tweeter is to the side of the mid horn. Mine has it on top. Did they change it or were they both running concurrently depending on the sub model ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side tweeters are modifications or Speakerlab SKs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Srinath said:

Also I see some where the tweeter is to the side of the mid horn. Mine has it on top. Did they change it or were they both running concurrently depending on the sub model ?

check your speakers for a klipsch tag ------that would tell you if it's an original klipsch  khorn - a Speakerlab  --or even a DIY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RandyH said:

check your speakers for a klipsch tag ------that would tell you if it's an original klipsch  khorn - a Speakerlab  --or even a DIY

I got 4 stickers that all have the same signature on it as well as 4 consequential numbers, they're Klipschorns. Not speaker labs (which are IMHO fantastic as well I have those 901 copies, solid stuff). But these are the genuine Klipsch ones. No side tweeters either - they are on top and have the square magnets - making them the M series and all 100% Klipsch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Srinath said:

I got 4 stickers that all have the same signature on it as well as 4 consequential numbers, they're Klipschorns. Not speaker labs (which are IMHO fantastic as well I have those 901 copies, solid stuff). But these are the genuine Klipsch ones. No side tweeters either - they are on top and have the square magnets - making them the M series and all 100% Klipsch.

super-------great , khorns are definitely a better built ,  product and that sets it apart -----plus the speakers you own were built for life , , I've seen a pair like yours  that went through a water damage , and with light sanding and a light refinish they looked as good as new ---which says a lot for quality workmanship - enjoy -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea mine got a little beat up in a move - which is what happens when you hire gorillas to move stuff I guess. Some scratches but I would still play them every hour of the day no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, Srinath said:

Oh cool, thanks from someone who may have built mine - Very nice. Let me read and google and learn etc - but you're saying the top pentagon shaped piece is Poplar lumber core plywood ? Not edge glued wood ? Cos I seem to have distinct grain which changed in a sharp line and when viewer from the back edge where its painted black the wood grain also changes as though it has a glue line - but I should also say - its the tightest cleanest most undetectable glue line I have ever seen. So maybe its not.

Just google "poplar lumber-core plywood"  pics...and you will know what you have...too easy, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Srinath said:

Oh I saw that on some of the 70's Khorns the top hat doesn't come off. Do the side panels come off on those ? What year did the top become removable.

And new Khorns are MDF ? when or if - did that change ?

You are looking at two or more different cabinet builds, and thinking they are all the same...There was D-style, C-style, and yours which are B-style!  All different specific buids and each priced differently....with B-style the most expensive of them all!  B-style has a trap panel pon thope of the bass bin...then another one atop that but with a collar between the two...then the very top trap panel.  C-style has one trap on the top pof the bass bin...NO CLLLAR AT ALL, and another trap above that one with sides connecting the two traps...one above the other...only the bottom trap is NOT removeable...the rest is!  D-style is no trtaps at all...the bass bin front panel actually extends upwards to become the motor-board for the H/Fsection...no removeable wood above the bass bin body , itself!

 

I'm leaving the rest of your questions for JRH to answer...over an hour of typing your answers already and that is enough FOR ME...good night!

.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 2:00 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

.There was D-style, C-style, and yours which are B-style! 

too bad we can't see the pictures -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 11:14 AM, Srinath said:

My pictures are failing upload - not sure why.

But my question is about wood vs plywood vs MDF. I know Khorn has 54 pieces of wood per speaker.

I know the top is made of edge glued wood. I know the visible painted parts of my bass bin are plywood.

I'm wondering what is wood vs plywood vs MDF on an 86 and if its changed from then to the new ones.

I saw a clip of the designer say mdf when talking about new Khorns recently.

do try to post pictures ,  it would enhance the thread so we can see what we're talking about -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RandyH said:

too bad we can't see the pictures -

:  MDF replaced Lumber-core plywood for finely-veneered panels for the Klipsch speakers over 2 decades ago.  This is lumber-core plywood...which is what the finely-veneered panels on the K-horn were made-of when his K-horns were built...and the lumber in that core was POPLAR:

CORE-BOARD_PLYWOOD.jpg.c7f1f4b5bb8420e2f81cdf246924a1b8.jpg

 

This flyer gives views of the three different K-horn styles of builds, B, C, and D-styles of builds:

1671673180_Khornstyles.thumb.jpg.10762ab1d5ace07498a34cd70ac271e5.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

:  MDF replaced Lumber-core plywood for finely-veneered panels for the Klipsch speakers over 2 decades ago.  This is lumber-core plywood...which is what the finely-veneered panels on the K-horn were made-of when his K-horns were built...and the lumber in that core was POPLAR:

CORE-BOARD_PLYWOOD.jpg.c7f1f4b5bb8420e2f81cdf246924a1b8.jpg

 

This flyer gives views of the three different K-horn styles of builds, B, C, and D-styles of builds:

1671673180_Khornstyles.thumb.jpg.10762ab1d5ace07498a34cd70ac271e5.jpg

 

I appreciate your kind reply - Much Obliged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...