YOUR fav tube amp/preamp & why

boricua2480

I'll be getting into the tube rabbithole soon and before I go researching this to death like I always do with big purchases, what are YOUR favorite tube apps and/or tube preamps you've used or listened to that were game changers for your music? What did it for you about the amp or preamp? What speakers were you using with it? If I can get some opinions on whats been used that sound fantastic, I'll have a good starting point. I've got like a hundred tabs open of tube manufacturers products but I'm looking for YOUR opinions. I don't care about the subjectivity of this question, just what you tried and ended up loving. 

My current speakers I'm using are CF-4 v1's and I've got some KPT-456's sitting idle and 402's pending, so I'll have plenty of options for stereo playback. 

I love my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp with my Fortes and HSU subwoofer. My system sounds incredible to me and the PL is impeccably built. Good luck with your search. Many people on this forum also love the Primaluna Amps - Watch the reviews on Upscale Audios website - 

I went through a variety of tube amps:

McIntosh MC-2102

McIntosh MC-30's

Wright 2A3

Viva 300B SET

Quad II's

Jolida (something or another)

Transcendent SE-OTL (1 1/2 watts bridged each to 4 watts)

The OTL's were the only amps I ever had in the system where not only my wife stopped and made comments about how "real" it sounded, but her sister & brother in law also stopped during middle of dinner to make comment about the sound from the other room sounded like the performer was in there.

The significance of these comments are that my wife & her sister can't stand anything like electronics & amps & the things we like.  They absolutely abhor them and the idea that those items might not only be in their household but VISIBLE to boot....  is simply a total assault on their senses.

If I ever went back to a tube amp, I'd first investigate another OTL.

• Like 1

Just had another thought....  if you end up with solid state...  and have K402's... 

What I did was grab a Crown K2.  Cut a 2x6 to something like 21" in length and painted it black.  Mounted the K2 vertically, on its side to the 2x6.  I now have the amp standing vertically ON the Jubilee bass bin but is hidden by the K402.  You actually have to look behind there to see it.  

Worked like a charm for me....but, I did have to think in advance and run some XLR wires across the room before drywall went up so I'd have something to plug into.

I've thought about tube amps before and thought if I got one, I'd like the idea (if possible) for it to be a vertical stand like this so it could also hide behind the 402.  Never put too much homework into that idea though.

This is in part my trying to hide these things.  Pardon the dust.

Vertical.jpg

29 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

More information is needed such as room size, type of music you listen to, listening level, how close you sit to the speakers when listening, how far from walls the speakers can be located, and sound characteristics you are looking for.  

Maynard

This ^^^^^

• Like 1

My favorite tube preamp is a McIntosh MX110z and is connected to a McIntosh MC240 connected to Chorus II’s. Also I have a pair of McIntosh MC30’s connected to my Jubilee 402 horns. Realism, detail, and 3D sound stage are awesome after some tube rolling. Wife has described the listening experience as religious and I agree with that, just magical - not overstated. Using all NOS tubes in equipment that has recent maintenance.

• Like 1

After my previous post I’m almost afraid to bring this up but again a great combo. I purchased a Tube Cube 7 amp from Tube Depot and hooked it up to a pair of Heresy’s with a KSW15 they sounded okay. Then I installed NOS Mullard EL 84’s and 12AX7 and magic again at 3.5 watts a channel. Detail and 3D sound stage again plus my wife really liked the combo. I use my iPad and iFi DAC to drive it. Other than the tubes are worth more than that amp it is another great combo for far less money.

• Like 1

FFS guys, forget my situation, my room, my equipment, because thats not my question, nor will knowing that info help you answer what was YOUR favorite setup (hence why YOUR is in capital letters). I'm not interested in anyone giving me ideas on what they think might work in my setup, the question I asked is what was a game changer for YOU...what do YOU like. The question is not about me and my room.  I wanna know what setup or amp or preamp lifted the veil on your music to the point that you had to have it. Thats what I'm looking for guys. Thanks for the replies with info thus far! Gives me things to research. 

• Confused 2

I have had a number of tube amps over the years.  Had an AMC CVT 2030 (PP, Class A, 30 WPC) that sounded amazing but was unreliable and difficult to get serviced.  Had a Musical Paradise MP-301; sounded great but was too noisy for high efficiency horns.  Now running a home-build Bob Latino ST-70.  It is the best yet.  I am very satisfied for the ~$1000 I have in it. 

Now that I have one amp build under my belt, I am very tempted to try one of Transcendent Sound's OTL kits.  Coytee's comments only serve to stoke that desire!  Maybe 'll order a kit later this year....

14 hours ago, boricua2480 said:

FFS guys, forget my situation, my room, my equipment, because thats not my question, nor will knowing that info help you answer what was YOUR favorite setup (hence why YOUR is in capital letters). I'm not interested in anyone giving me ideas on what they think might work in my setup, the question I asked is what was a game changer for YOU...what do YOU like. The question is not about me and my room.  I wanna know what setup or amp or preamp lifted the veil on your music to the point that you had to have it. Thats what I'm looking for guys. Thanks for the replies with info thus far! Gives me things to research. 

FFS....so if you're not interested in people here actually trying to help and gain some information in order to do that, then why bother?  Why list the speakers that you have if that makes no difference?  Why not just pose the question, "What is your favorite preamp and/or amp combo?"   Period, done, end of story....You stated that you were going into the tube rabbit hole soon and you were going to be doing research.  Folks here interpret that as a request for assistance and as a part of your research.  Why not just accept the help and use it?  What difference does it make what I or anyone else likes if it doesn't fit in with your room, your music, your budget, etc.  Then it's just a list, no more, no less.  Just for the hell of it, here's my list FWIW:

Mcintosh MX110Z >>>Mcintosh MC240

Mcintosh C22 V3 >>>Mcintosh MC30s

Mcintosh MX110Z >>>Mcintosh MC250s

Scott 130 >>>Scott LK-150

Fisher 500C

• Like 4

We're gonna need the dimensions of your bathroom, social security number and mother's maiden name.....and we're gonna need it pronto.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2