Older Klipsch Cornwall II speakers

Toolmaker

9 hours ago, robyroadster said:
It is probably for the medium in alnico that I felt that pleasant sweetness in such frequency.

Well below are the photos the shopkeeper sent me after cleaning the disaster of the previous owner and the photos of the interior.

HDBRbuilder, do you confirm that only the medium is in alico and that my serial number is compatible with the components you have mounted if you weren't on holiday?😀

P1 IMG-20200528-WA0005.jpg

P2 IMG-20200528-WA0007.jpg

P3 IMG-20200528-WA0004.jpg

Q3 IMG-20200528-WA0002.jpg

Q5 IMG-20200528-WA0000.jpg

Q7 IMG-20200528-WA0006.jpg

Tweeter is also Alnico from the pics.  Builders just build the cabinets...final assembly installs the electricals.  There is always a chance that tweeters and other drivers or woofers have been replaced over the years, also...some with parts from previous years than when the speaker was shipped.

5 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Tweeter is also Alnico from the pics.  Builders just build the cabinets...final assembly installs the electricals.  There is always a chance that tweeters and other drivers or woofers have been replaced over the years, also...some with parts from previous years than when the speaker was shipped.

So Cornwall 1s in the USA sell for $ 700?

Looking at hi fi shark the price seems to me aligned.

I think alnico drivers are an advantage.

To recap:

built in 1980 which would make them Cornwall 1's

From what you write there should be woofers and tweeters with ferrite magnet and alnico midrange so on these speakers have the tweeters been replaced in your opinion?

Visually from ignorant what is out of place is the woofer, but if already in the factory speakers of different series were mixed I think there is nothing wrong

They are CB-R models, made of birch plywood.

What do you think about crossovers?
Will I have to check the two capacitors and replace them if necessary?

A friend says that the tweeters were built by the Electro Voice is it true?

However, my main concern was that the cabinets in Italy had been made by the Italian importer of Klipsch who, to save money, mounted the speakers in the cabinets he built in Italy, but given standard numbers, this hypothesis was discarded.

The woofer is date coded the 32nd week of 1980.  The tweeters have an "R" stamped, indicating they were replaced at some time.  They were built by Electro-Voice.  If the capacitors are not leaking oil, they are very likely just fine.  Everything seems to be in order.

• Thanks 1

Well, then I went to collect the Cornwall at the shop where they were on consignment and for now I have them on trial at home to check the compatibility with my ears that are not used to high efficiency.

The first impression of listening was that of a transparent sound full of details with a voice with greater nuances, probably this is the spirit of high efficiency.

Initially with the LPs it seemed to me that I seemed to have a bigger noise but then I realized that it is due to the greater sound pressure that makes the rustling sound emerge and therefore it is enough to recalibrate the volume knob.
A lack compared to other speakers in my system is the lower depth of the image but on the other hand you cannot have everything.

As for the replacement of the listening tweeters I do not notice any problems in this regard and I think that the alnico sonically can provide advantages.

A curiosity, but why did Klipsch use Elestro Voice tweeters and not build them at home?

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, robyroadster said:

Well, then I went to collect the Cornwall at the shop where they were on consignment and for now I have them on trial at home to check the compatibility with my ears that are not used to high efficiency.

The first impression of listening was that of a transparent sound full of details with a voice with greater nuances, probably this is the spirit of high efficiency.

Initially with the LPs it seemed to me that I seemed to have a bigger noise but then I realized that it is due to the greater sound pressure that makes the rustling sound emerge and therefore it is enough to recalibrate the volume knob.
A lack compared to other speakers in my system is the lower depth of the image but on the other hand you cannot have everything.

As for the replacement of the listening tweeters I do not notice any problems in this regard and I think that the alnico sonically can provide advantages.

A curiosity, but why did Klipsch use Elestro Voice tweeters and not build them at home?

The Klipsch K77 tweeter was actually basiically just the Electrovoice T-35 tweeter, but the spec requirements for Klipsch use were more stringent than those of for the Electrovoice T35 itself.  IOW, Klpisch wanted to get a slightly better version of the T-35 for its own use.  For a very long time of its history, Klipsch out-sourced its tweeters, its mid-range compression drivers and its woofers...only using its own Klipsch mid-range horn lenses...the crossover networks were built by Klipsch, though.   Part of the genius of PWK was that the cfompanmyh coouild use the same tweeter and mid-range compression driver in all of its offerings at the time, and the same woofer in everything but the Heresy, which used the smaller 12-inch woofer.  This allowed for potentially lower per-unit costs for these items, through higher volume purchases of the same items because the Klipsch models shared the same electrical components in most cases.  It is really a testament to a genius in the purchasing side of the business equation....even though PWK would never say that himself!  PWK would often say, he wasn't much of a businessman, just a hobbyist tinkering around, designing and building speakers to sell so that he could afford to pursue his hobby full-time.  The truth doesn't actually line-up with PWK's own purported opinion of himself, IMHO!

For your statemement of this:  "Initially with the LPs it seemed to me that I seemed to have abigger noise but then I realized that it is due to the greater sound pressure that makes the rustling sound emerge and therefore it is enough to recalibrate the volume knob."

I assume you are referring to the apparent GAIN in background "hiss" sometimes found on records prior to, or between songs  If that is the case, then you are actually experiencing an amplifier-induced signal gain, simply because the amp cannot find any sound to amplify...so it "tries to amplify harder"...which is common with high efficiency speakers being used, but more pronounced due to the horn-loading of the Klipsch speakers in the mid-to-high frequency ranges.    But you should also have noticed that once the next soundtrack begins, that affect just disappears....until the song ends.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

The Klipsch K77 tweeter was actually basiically just the Electrovoice T-35 tweeter, but the spec requirements for Klipsch use were more stringent than those of for the Electrovoice T35 itself.  IOW, Klpisch wanted to get a slightly better version of the T-35 for its own use.  For a very long time of its history, Klipsch out-sourced its tweeters, its mid-range compression drivers and its woofers...only using its own Klipsch mid-range horn lenses...the crossover networks were built by Klipsch, though.   Part of the genius of PWK was that the cfompanmyh coouild use the same tweeter and mid-range compression driver in all of its offerings at the time, and the same woofer in everything but the Heresy, which used the smaller 12-inch woofer.  This allowed for potentially lower per-unit costs for these items, through higher volume purchases of the same items because the Klipsch models shared the same electrical components in most cases.  It is really a testament to a genius in the purchasing side of the business equation....even though PWK would never say that himself!  PWK would often say, he wasn't much of a businessman, just a hobbyist tinkering around, designing and building speakers to sell so that he could afford to pursue his hobby full-time.  The truth doesn't actually line-up with PWK's own purported opinion of himself, IMHO!

For your statemement of this:  "Initially with the LPs it seemed to me that I seemed to have abigger noise but then I realized that it is due to the greater sound pressure that makes the rustling sound emerge and therefore it is enough to recalibrate the volume knob."

I assume you are referring to the apparent GAIN in background "hiss" sometimes found on records prior to, or between songs  If that is the case, then you are actually experiencing an amplifier-induced signal gain, simply because the amp cannot find any sound to amplify...so it "tries to amplify harder"...which is common with high efficiency speakers being used, but more pronounced due to the horn-loading of the Klipsch speakers in the mid-to-high frequency ranges.    But you should also have noticed that once the next soundtrack begins, that affect just disappears....until the song ends.

Sorry I'm late but I was out on business ...

ok then the hiss is normal even if barely noticeable.

So at this point I need you .....

I keep them considering the components that you mount or do you think a Cornwall 3 is better but with a double cost?

It would be nice even if they are not as bad as aesthetics, to be able to paint them off, putty and give them the original color, if I had to get this job done the walnut color is correct and what kind of material would you use?
Oil, what kind of impregnating agent or wax?

Where can I get the speaker protection canvas?
The speaker protection grille is broken in the lower part in correspondence with the slots of the bass reflex so I thought to redo the panels with a masonite panel, make the holes take the canvas and maybe 2 klipsch coats leaving the original protections as they are, what about think?

As amplification I have available
Marantz 8b, Quad 2, leak Tl12 plus, I have heard of a good coupling with tube amplifiers with the 300B what do you think?

Thanks so much for the information.

I believe Bob Crites sells CNC Masonite grille frames, as well as fabric.  Check out critesspeakers.com.  There are searchable posts describing how to stretch and glue fabric to the frames.  Good luck.  Keep us apprised please.

57 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I believe Bob Crites sells CNC Masonite grille frames, as well as fabric.  Check out critesspeakers.com.  There are searchable posts describing how to stretch and glue fabric to the frames.  Good luck.  Keep us apprised please.

great, thanks for the information!

Is the Klipsch nameplate located on the site or on other sites?

42 minutes ago, robyroadster said:

great, thanks for the information!

Is the Klipsch nameplate located on the site or on other sites?

Authentic Klipsch Heritage nameplates are hard to locate and are expensive when found.  Reasonably good looking knockoffs are available on eBay.