Question about a sub in 2 channel

thedave

What are the thoughts around a sub in two-channel audio? I have the Heresy IV - new in!! - and with a bass response down to 48hz, is there any loss of fidelity if I turn on the sub and drop the crossover down to 45-50hz? With my almost complete lack of understanding aside, that shouldn't remove any usable signal from going to the Heresy fronts... Right?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A well implemented subwoofer/s will almost always enhance fidelity when added.

While I think my RB-75s are incredible on their own, when I added my RSW-10d to the mix, they are really tough to beat.  Thicker, fuller, punchier, and soundstage improved, noticeably.

22 minutes ago, thedave said:

with a bass response down to 48hz, is there any loss of fidelity if I turn on the sub and drop the crossover down to 45-50hz?

I would say start at 80hz and work your way down.  You will probably settle at about 60hz if I had to bet on it.

Bill

• Like 2

A well implemented subwoofer/s will almost always enhance fidelity when added.

While I think my RB-75s are incredible on their own, when I added my RSW-10d to the mix, they are really tough to beat.  Thicker, fuller, punchier, and soundstage improved, noticeably.

I would say start at 80hz and work your way down.  You will probably settle at about 60hz if I had to bet on it.

Bill

Good idea. I have an R-10SW that I've enjoyed, I'll play with it.

Keep in mind at that 48 Hz. point, the speakers’ output is down by probably 4 dB, so you’ll want to set the sub’s hi-cut point somewhat higher than that, so you don’t have a dip at the crossover point.  In the same way, the sub’s hi-cut control rolls off the sub’s top frequency response, but it’s not like a “brick wall” cutoff, so it will be tapering off on its high end the same way the speakers will be rolling off on their low end.

All that to say that you want some overlap between the sub and the speakers.  Ideally, you could get a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and a test CD to get really exact, but your ears can likely get you at least halfway there.  Adjust the control until it sounds right.  The sub should be audible, but it shouldn’t speak any louder than the speakers.  If you play a tune with lots of bass notes running up and down, the  volume level on each note should be similar.  There shouldn’t be any notes that sound softer than others, nor should there be any bass notes that jump out louder than the rest.  To correct for some soft notes, raise the sub’s hi-cut, because you have a dip at the crossover point.  For individual notes that jump out louder, lower the hi-cut, because you have a peak.  You’re aiming for flat/even frequency response through the low-end range, with sub and speakers working smoothly together.

Congrats on your new speakers, and happy listening!

• Like 2

Keep in mind at that 48 Hz. point, the speakers’ output is down by probably 4 dB, so you’ll want to set the sub’s hi-cut point somewhat higher than that, so you don’t have a dip at the crossover point.  In the same way, the sub’s hi-cut control rolls off the sub’s top frequency response, but it’s not like a “brick wall” cutoff, so it will be tapering off on its high end the same way the speakers will be rolling off on their low end.

All that to say that you want some overlap between the sub and the speakers.  Ideally, you could get a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and a test CD to get really exact, but your ears can likely get you at least halfway there.  Adjust the control until it sounds right.  The sub should be audible, but it shouldn’t speak any louder than the speakers.  If you play a tune with lots of bass notes running up and down, the  volume level on each note should be similar.  There shouldn’t be any notes that sound softer than others, nor should there be any bass notes that jump out louder than the rest.  To correct for some soft notes, raise the sub’s hi-cut, because you have a dip at the crossover point.  For individual notes that jump out louder, lower the hi-cut, because you have a peak.  You’re aiming for flat/even frequency response through the low-end range, with sub and speakers working smoothly together.

Congrats on your new speakers, and happy listening!

Great notes, thanks! I'll check out the hi-cut.

• Like 2

I'm with Bill.  60 Hz, depending on your H IV's location.  Follow Klipsch's recommendations. I'd also recommend getting a sound meter to help calibrate the sub level.  Quick and dirty, if you can tell there is a sub in the system, its too loud. 

• Like 2