Oldish Klipschorns Update suggestions

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

If you do a search you'll find DeanG and others talking about how the standard K-55V that has push-pin connectors measures 20dB down at its crossover point.

The soldered lug driver is also known as a dual phase plug design and has significantly better output.

I A/B'd my 1981 Heresys against 1990 Heresy IIs and 2019 Heresy IIIs and the midrange in my 1981s won the battle hands down.  To me there was no comparison. 

My DATA and experience both disagree with your post. Comparing a Heresy's Midrange to a Khorn midrange is not a valid comparison since the horns are totally different. But I'm sure your Heresy to Heresy comparison is a good one to show the older driver's superiority, so that part is OK. 

• Like 1

What I did and would do again, in approximately this order:

1- Replace the capacitors in the crossover with good film and foil caps. NOT metalized, this is a K-horn.

2- Change the K-55-Vs to '80s era solder terminal drivers.  The attached Dope From Hope shows why.

3- Flush mount the tweeters with the front of the upper motorboard.  You can use newer Klipsch K-77-F with a flange that pushes the mouth forward 3/4" or an aftermarket horn and tweeter driver.  A K-77-M and later versions have more output above 12kHz. 

4- Line the opening in the motorboard for the K-400 with heavy stick-on felt to reduce diffraction by the edge.

5- Wrap the K-400 in heavy Dynamat, or similar to kill a small ringing.  Play a powerful female voice, like Thelma Houston. loud, and wrap your hand around the K-400 in front of the K-55 to see why. 

6- Stuff the upper/treble cabinet with polyester pillow fill.  Knock on the top to see why. 

7- Consider adding the 0.4 mH inductor I put in the Squawker circuit to make it a bandpass circuit and attenuate some extra output a K-55-V has at 9 kHz as well as reducing overlap between the 2 drivers. 

You can do these one at a time, or all at once.  I did them over a couple of years as I listened and identified smaller and smaller flaws in my speakers. 

post-2142-13819498806984_thumb.gif

msg-43-0-01480000-1424308646_thumb.jpg

HFinBelle.jpg.5b083e6410736869d242e96945598abc.jpg

k77fnewstyle_med.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

With all due respect to some of the above ...... IMHO, I would not start replacing drivers and horns. The speakers will sound great, even in their stock form. 

Sure, go ahead and refresh the caps. Maybe even "seal" the cabinets to the corners (search on "pipe foam"). After that, just listen and enjoy.

If you need to do something, then start  with some tedious and boring (systematic) adjustments on where the listening chair  is located or maybe some extra drapes on the windows (IOW, some room treatment). This will not be a quick process, but it can be accelerated if you are willing to get an inexpensive measurement microphone (plenty of threads to search). 

If you still feel the need for additional improvement, then IMHO, the biggest positive impacts will be 1) a sensible use of room treatments (they can be disguised also) and 2) getting an active DSP unit and bi-amping (or tri-amping). Depending on Mr Wallet, the units range from a Behringer, Ashley, DBX, Rane, Electrovoice, Xilica, or Yamaha. When doing this a measurement mic is essential. The degree of improvement can be profound. 

I totally agree with this advice. I owned 2 different pairs of Khorns for over 30 years (with various LaScalas as center mono) as well as Khorn Jubilees with TAD drivers. PrestonTom is giving you the very best sound advice! All I would add is DaveA's Super Tweeter 2.0 (sMAHL with DE-120) to the Capacitor Refresh, which is the best way to spend that $300 that others are saying you should spend. I guarantee you will be a happy camper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RANDYH said:

it's not a K-55g - it's a A-55G  -----------it's a bit smoother ------but the K55V you have is pretty good ,  even if it is the push button version--PWK  even showed the difference was subtle to the ears -I would buy The A-55G ,  it has gotten a lot of positive reviews , and none were negATIVE

Of course but it's but it falls pretty far down the list and is NOT necessary.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Budman said:

spend the $425 and get the Deang crossovers and call it a day or a decade or a ?

OK, but if he does this AND buys DaveA's Super Tweeters, have his add the choke to cross DaveA's tweeters at 4500 Hz. instead of 6 Khz.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnA said:

7- Consider adding the 0.4 mH inductor I put in the Squawker circuit to make it a bandpass circuit and attenuate some extra output a K-55-V has at 9 kHz as well as reducing overlap between the 2 drivers. 

I would move this to #3 on the list IF you replace the K77 with a sMAHL/DE-120. Then the 6Khz. dip and the 9 Khz. peak rearing its ugly head will not matter on your Push Connected K55! All for less than $300 total.

• Like 1

I found a curve I did back about 11 years ago of an old K55 in a K400 horn. As you can see, using a .4 or .5 mH choke to roll off the top end of the mid, then a first order capacitor in series into a v2.0 sMAHL tweeter lens with a DE-120 driver would yield a very flat response out towards 20Khz. if you can just imagine for a moment. You will not believe the delicate MICRO DETAILS that occur when you spend you hard earned 300 bucks this way.

K55K400.jpg

DavA_B&C_DE120vsK77.jpg

• Like 1