Note to Self ...

Edgar

Note to self:

If you charge an electrolytic capacitor on Wednesday, it will still hold enough charge on Friday to arc-weld the screwdriver that you accidentally short across its terminals. :(

In the far distant past, I worked a a TV station in central Illinois. The assinstant chief engineer would go into the workshop and take a huge cap out of the box and use clip leads to connect the cap to the 115 vac. It would quickly charge, and he would put it back in the box.Later, the chief would come in and grab the box, open the top, where the solder tabs were located... and slide it out onto his palm. BAM!! You just know that had to hurt.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

In the far distant past, I worked a a TV station in central Illinois. The assinstant chief engineer would go into the workshop and take a huge cap out of the box and use clip leads to connect the cap to the 115 vac. It would quickly charge, and he would put it back in the box.Later, the chief would come in and grab the box, open the top, where the solder tabs were located... and slide it out onto his palm. BAM!! You just know that had to hurt.

I did something similar when i replaced points and condenser on older vehicles, a bit of charge and leave the stuff on a workbench and the new guys never knew what hit them.

• Like 2

In high school I worked for the science department... the other guys (never me) connected a van de Graaf generator to a steel door and called one of the other student techs... BAM, blew the heel off his shoe. Lucky they didn’t kill him. 

Not shocking but..... Had/have an old friend who was very inquisitive. Used to wind his own Tesla coils. How freaky it was, just pickup a florescent tube and walk around with it. It would light up using your body as the ground. And you couldn't feel anything. Weird.

16 minutes ago, babadono said:

Did it leave a mark?:) Cap ruined? Screwdriver?

None of my skin was involved in the incident. :smile: Thanks for your concern.

Cap seems OK. It is a power supply cap in a medium-power amplifier that I am rebuilding, so it was only charged originally to 46VDC. After two days it was probably down to 20V, which was still enough to put on a good display of sparks.

I have other screwdrivers.

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Note to self:

If you charge an electrolytic capacitor on Wednesday, it will still hold enough charge on Friday to arc-weld the screwdriver that you accidentally short across its terminals. :(

cuckoosest.png

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I attended several electroconvulsive treatments long ago. They do sedate the patient but the procedure itself looks pretty rough. But they woke up happier.

It's a good thing they used happy electrons instead of sad ones.

JJK

1 minute ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

They do ECT to treat depression. Unsure how or why it works....... but it does. I was just there ‘in case’ something went sideways.

I was just a funnin you.

JJK

• Thanks 1