La Scalla AL4 Info Needed

I have purchased used La Scalla: S/N LS4BR170313 0018 S/N LS4BR170313 0019

Can anyone please tell me about the version, age, components, value and anything else of interest about these.

Also, does anyone have a PDF owner's manual and any other documentation?

La Scala (2).jpg

Edited by Abbbbenator
Add photo

Someone  more knowledgeable than me can identify. There is info on forum to get year built.drom serial number. But they look to be La Scala and I think AL4 are La Scala ii. Think my LS ii are AL4’s. All the LS ii’s are splits. 

BTW, those are very nice. Should last a lifetime.

If the Klipsch labels with the serial numbers are no longer on the backs, the serial number should be stamped on the back on the edge of the plywood.  The sn will give you the date of manufacture, and the crossover model (original, not after market) will narrow down what you have. Welcome to the forums!

Bruce

The Type AL-4 began in 2004, I think.  We were shown early production or final prototype models at an early Pilgrimage in Indy about 2004/5.  The first AL-4s were in plywood La Scalas like yours.  They sounded remarkably familiar, much like my Type AAs with Hovland Musicaps.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, Marvel said:

If the Klipsch labels with the serial numbers are no longer on the backs, the serial number should be stamped on the back on the edge of the plywood.  The sn will give you the date of manufacture, and the crossover model (original, not after market) will narrow down what you have. Welcome to the forums!

Bruce

If I'm not mistaken, Klipsch stopped stamping the serial numbers in the wood around 1983.

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/Heresy-II-La-Scala-Belle-Klipsch-brochure-and-specs.pdf

19 hours ago, JohnA said:

The Type AL-4 began in 2004, I think.  We were shown early production or final prototype models at an early Pilgrimage in Indy about 2004/5.  The first AL-4s were in plywood La Scalas like yours.  They sounded remarkably familiar, much like my Type AAs with Hovland Musicaps.

Learn something everyday. I thought all LS II were splits. 

I'm pretty sure all La Scala IIs ARE split cabinets.  But the Type AL-4 xover was used in one piece La Scalas, too.  "SOMEBODY" at Cheif Bonehead's class had a loose pair of AL-4s that I'd love to get my hands on.  It was like pulling teeth to get him to admit it.  😉

15 hours ago, Abbbbenator said:

Many Thanks in advance for your knowledge shared...

PDFs relating to these speakers especially appreciated.

20200528_113810 (3).jpg

Yes, those are special. The crossover looks very close to the ones in my LS ii 70ths. Probably not a lot different than the networks in the current version also.

No electrolytics to dry out or drift, you are good for a LONG time. 

18 hours ago, Abbbbenator said:

Many Thanks in advance for your knowledge shared...

PDFs relating to these speakers especially appreciated.

unreal , 1 piece cab ,  K55X and AL4  -------VERY RARE

Your sticker indicates that your rare La Scala AL4s left the factory as Birch Raw, but you probably already know that.  As the picture of another speaker's label shows, they were also available in Birch Lacquered, as well as, of course, the most common colour, Black.

A lot of good information I did not know... I also like the comments.

I truly appreciate the forum's assistance to help me understand what I have vs what is out there.

I'll check back occasionally to see if anything else is added.

FYI: Someone other than Klipsch did the Birch Lacquer. 

• 2 years later...