Harman Kardon HK-730. Want to Buy

dwillie

Looking for a Harman Kardon HK-730 in decent condition.  I've heard good things about this receiver, especially on this forum, and I'd like to hear what all the fuss is about.

Comments are welcome.  Message me through P.M. or comment here.  Thanks,   dwillie.

• Like 1

I had a 730 paired up with forte IIs a dozen years ago or so.  I think I paid about $150 on eBay.  Just needed a little deoxit on the volume and balance and that was it.  Sounded fantastic.

I wish I still had it, considering what they're going for nowadays. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Be sure to consider others in that X30 line as well, including the 430 and 930.

Thanks for the comment jimjimbo.  I have heard nice things said about the entire HK line of that era, including 430 and 930.  I definitely want pre-outs, and it just seems to me from what I'm hearing, the 730 is the sweet spot.  True in your mind?  I know you've owned a few of these.  dwillie 

3 hours ago, jason str said:

If you don't need preouts the 430 is just as nice.

Not sure of the budget but if you can swing it look at their Citation gear while you're looking around.

Thanks for your comments jason.  Pre-outs are important to me, and over the years I've gotten used to having them.  Nice to add different amps in and out of the line up for a little variety now and then.  I have never even seen a Citation set-up, but have heard it is at the top of this era's pyramid.  I'm open to the idea, where would you begin to look for the Citation Series ? 

7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What speakers are you going use with it? 

And what's your location?

Hello Woofers and Tweeters.  Thanks for commenting.  Right now I am using La Scala's and/or Quartets in my listening room. I like to go back and forth between the two sets just for a little change.  These are controlled by Rotel integrated and outboard DAC, and Emotiva power.  I basically stream or use CD's old school style.

I am in the Chicagoland area. 

2 hours ago, dwillie said:

Right now I am using La Scala's and/or Quartets in my listening room.

I asked because some speakers are more power hungry, such as the Legend and Epic series. Your LaScala will be a great match. After several people on here telling me that I need to try one, I scored a 730 on an auction site. It's been played on Khorns, Heresy, a couple of RB series and is now making the Belles sing. Like you, I want to capitalize on the pre outs and have a Dynaco 70 that I want to use with the HK. 

Another one you might look for and like is a Tandberg. The 2075 and 2080 have pre outs..

Good luck on your search 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, on a 730 or a 930 by utilizing the pre-outs, you are actually not using the best part of the HK. The amplifier section is what really shines not necessarily the preamplifier.  The pre-amplifier is fine, not great but not bad, but the amplifier section is what makes these units really stand out for their channel separation and clarity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Unfortunately, on a 730 or a 930 by utilizing the pre-outs, you are actually not using the best part of the HK. The amplifier section is what really shines not necessarily the preamplifier.  The pre-amplifier is fine, not great but not bad, but the amplifier section is what makes these units really stand out for their channel separation and clarity.

I didn't know that. I'll have to try something different.

So, what you're saying is that dwillie might be as well off to grab a 430 and enjoy it until a 730 follows him home? 

7 minutes ago, Drewg said:

@dwillie I’m in the Chicagoland area and have both the 430 and 730. If you want to hear them, let me know and I can bring it over so you can hear. I’m in Naperville. Where are you?

wow - both of you and the OP are in Chicago -----good luck ---with the sale ----

25 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I didn't know that. I'll have to try something different.

So, what you're saying is that dwillie might be as well off to grab a 430 and enjoy it until a 730 follows him home? 

730s are not all that unusual, but getting a bit more scarce.  Holding out for a 730 or a 930 would be the way to go...., IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drewg said:

@dwillie I’m in the Chicagoland area and have both the 430 and 730. If you want to hear them, let me know and I can bring it over so you can hear. I’m in Naperville. Where are you?

Hey Drewg.  What a great offer.  We're close too, I'm in De Kalb/Sycamore.  How do you feel about the 430 vs 730?  Do you hear much difference between the two?  Are most people running these stock or does a rebuild seem justified?  Hope we can work something out Drewg.  Thanks for jumping in.  dwillie.