La Scala's

doc1623

Hello,

I would like to find a pair of La Scala speakers. I remember reading some advice but I don't remember where it was. What type of crossover AA, I think I remember? 

Any other advice?

I would prefer stained wood to black paint. 

I'm going post a trade/swap in the garage but I'll check here. I have a pair of Chorus speakers and a pair of Forte II's that I want to trade. both are in good condition except on one chorus one of the terminals is damaged. It's usable but not nicely without fixing. 

Let me know any thoughts or advice. Thanks

I'm in Texas, the DFW area. So let me know if you or someone is trying to sell a pair of La Scala's 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc1623 said:

Thanks any suggestions on the crossover or anything else or is it just take as you can get?

Type AA is the sweet spot. I ended up having custom Type A's with Jupiter flat stack capacitors and CT-120/A-55G drivers from Crites speakers. It was a sweet sounding setup and only changed when I went to an active crossover and new top end earlier this year.

Thanks any suggestions on the crossover or anything else or is it just take as you can get?

Hi Doc. Yes, the AA crossovers are pretty universally considered to be the best of the stock crossovers in the early La Scala’s. Some swear by the K77 tweeters with the round magnets. My ‘86 La Scala’s came with one K77 and one K77-M, same thing with the square magnet. I bought a second K77-M because it was cheaper and I couldn’t hear any difference. The mid driver with the solder-on wire lugs are prized but pretty rare. I can’t tell you from personal experience what the difference is but those might cost you more if the seller knows their value.

I got very lucky my LS cost $400, plus about another $100 in materials and lots of time to fix up the cabinets. They were pretty ratty when I got them.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both. I'm hoping to find some in good shape. I would prefer original cabinets but I wound't mind if the 'guts' have been upgraded. 

What do you guys think about my asking for trade? Would my two pair be about ~ to one or no? I know that's somewhat subjective. 

7 hours ago, doc1623 said:

I have a pair of Chorus speakers and a pair of Forte II's that I want to trade. both are in good condition except on one chorus one of the terminals is damaged.

you can buy the same terminals on EBAY for a couple of $ -------all you need to do is unscrew the crossover and then remove the electronics board -the terminal is right under it -

5 hours ago, Skichuck77 said:

I got very lucky my LS cost $400, plus about another $100 in materials and lots of time to fix up the cabinets. They were pretty ratty when I got them.

we're still waiting for the pictures , to see how good of a job was done -------

• Haha 1

When I don't need them

I see La Scalas in good condition for 1200-2000 pair

Depending on the year 1970s-1980s used

Crossovers can be recapped or changed out

Same for the compression drivers

Expect to recap, new gaskets for the compression drivers min

Crites sells both

Lots of options if you want new crossovers

18 hours ago, doc1623 said:

You could start a wanted to buy ad in the garage sale section and or

trade, for what it's worth.