AVR/Processor question

Foxman

I have an old Rotel processor that predates HDMI. Recently I have begun considering purchasing something used and inexpensive with HDMI. (Under $200)

What version of HDMI should I be on the lookout for?

Any suggestions on a processor?

My primary concerns are 3 HDMI in, 5.1/7.1 (no atmos) and I don't need a built-in amp.

Under $200.00 for an HDMI pre/pro will be a tough find but I guess possible.  Look for an Integra DHC-80.3 but probably not for near $200.00. 

I have a 10 year old NAD T175HD pre/pro that I have been more than pleased with.  They pop up occasionally on the used market.  I think it is HDMI 1.3a.

Bill

• Thanks 1

AV pre-pros are expensive - they remove the amp and load it up with premium components at a premium price.  You can get an AVR with multi-channel pre-outs for much less.  For HDMI, if you are considering 4K video, then HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.3 copyright protection looks like it is the latest (this year.). You can check accessories4less for one of the major Japanese brands (used) but I don't see anything close to $200 with the specs you want.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, willland said:

Under $200.00 for an HDMI pre/pro will be a tough find but I guess possible.  Look for an Integra DHC-80.3 but probably not for near $200.00. 

I have a 10 year old NAD T175HD pre/pro that I have been more than pleased with.  They pop up occasionally on the used market.  I think it is HDMI 1.3a.

Bill

So, please forgive my ignorance on the subject of 4K HDMI. Assuming it is out of the question to score one of these in the $200 range.

I have found some with a 1.something HDMI rating. If I plugged my Apple 4K Tv into that type of HDMI, what happens? Does it not work or is the quality just lowered to HD? Secondly, my Blue Ray player has an audio and a separate video HDMI out put. If I ran the HDMI audio out into one of these older HDMI inputs, would that still work fine? Currently I am using the digital coaxial output on this unit in lieu of not having an HDMI input.

Okay, so if I decided to go with a new AVR and I set a budget of $700 max. I need at least 5.1 pre-outs and 4 HDMI and 1 HDMI out, prefer 4K capable.

I see an Emotiva MX-700 that is in range, and a Yamaha RX-A880. Any other prospective units or suggestions. I would have to modify my entertainment unit to fit the Yamaha, but the Emotiva would fit. Suggestions?

I would browse the receivers/amps section on avsforum and take a look at the reviews.  Is this for a dedicated HT or will it be for both HT and 2-channel listening?

As much as I favor stuff made in the USA whenever possible, for this component, it's a switch-box crammed with computers, features and processors- all with specs that change every 6 months.  Unless you get a $4K AV-pre-pro, there is very little profit margin in a sub-$1K AVR.  IMHO, the large Japanese manufacturers have the economies of scale to be able to do this and keep up with all the latest chips and specs, while building a reliable product.  Yamaha seems to be better than most in the reliability department.  Better than a boutique USA brand.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I would browse the receivers/amps section on avsforum and take a look at the reviews.  Is this for a dedicated HT or will it be for both HT and 2-channel listening?

I do both, but my focus on updating is primarily for HT and surround sound music... and to be able to run my software through the HDMI in order to calibrate my system better. I am currently very limited in what I can do with what I have and it isnt going to get better.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, Foxman said:

So, please forgive my ignorance on the subject of 4K HDMI. Assuming it is out of the question to score one of these in the $200 range.

Just pipe the video directly to the TV from the player, bypassing the AVP/AVR. 

Here is an AVP of a model which I've owned for about 12 years (acquired in 2008) without any issues.  This one on ebay is currently at the price you're quoting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184299736590

Better move fast, though.  It's over in a couple of hours.  I certainly wouldn't let my unit go for such a low price.  (I'm currently using an Emotiva XMC-1, but the Onkyo PR-SC886 is still functional and works quite well--I'd go back to using the Onkyo knowing what I know now.)

Chris

4 hours ago, Foxman said:

I see an Emotiva MX-700 that is in range

Avoid that unit like it's the plague.  It has so many communication issues and problems with software that it might as well be a $700 paperweight.  Absolute garbage - and Emotiva has no intention of making it a functional unit either.

At $700 - go AVR, unless you can find something on accessories4less.

11 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Avoid that unit like it's the plague.  It has so many communication issues and problems with software that it might as well be a $700 paperweight.  Absolute garbage - and Emotiva has no intention of making it a functional unit either.

Bad experience with the MC-700?

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I basically agree...if the price point chosen is so low and you're looking to buy a new unit instead of a used one (which in A/V electronics is like buying a new car instead of a used one: the depreciation on used units is your friend if you're buying at such low price points). 

My experiences with the Emotiva is not like the Onkyo that I identified above: Integra and top-of-the-line Onkyo AVPs are bulletproof by comparison. 

I was somewhat amazed by the unfinished state of the firmware in the Emotiva by comparison.  My NOS XMC-1 was chosen because of the quality of its DACs, and to a much lesser degree by the availability of Dirac "room correction" software available as a bundled option--which runs mostly on a PC rather than on the AVP, but the overall firmware performance has been much rougher and less well executed in the Emotiva than in the Onkyo (a myriad of little "gotchas" and weird/uneven behavior has been the norm).  Dirac works a little better than Audyssey (on the Onkyo), but generally, I don't recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend Emotiva unless try-before-buy is the deal.  I probably wouldn't have continued with the XMC-1 knowing what I've had to deal with now, but nevertheless I've made progress in getting everything set up now and have few remaining complaints. I'd rather not had to deal with that kind of unfinished firmware.  In my opinion, the firmware is still unfinished, and that's on a unit that's being overtaken by other models now (the XMC-1 series is at least 5 years old--and it's not cheap, and nor are the models replacing it and more than 20x what your price point is).  I don't believe that Emotiva has the resources to pull off AVPs and AVRs like their competitors.

Chris

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Foxman said:

Bad experience with the MC-700?

Not just me.  There's dozens of people that have had the same issues.  The Emotiva forums even squashed a thread or two about it because people were so dissatisfied about the pre.  If you don't need video or multi-channel it might be alright, but then there's better options for the price at that point.