Manned SpaceX launch Saturday

dtel

3 hours ago, dtel said:

One day I would like to be there to see one shot off, must be pretty amazing to see live.

It's amazing to see from 48 miles as the crow flies.  Especially at night.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Go when there is a Saturn Five launch at night, I lived in Port St John less than 15 miles away and one of those would make it a bright as a blue sky summers day at noon for five minutes.

I could only imagine from that close.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pbphoto said:

I think I saw a boom-mic pop into the frame in the top left.  I'm sure the director fired somebody for that! 😉

I forgot that the Earth is flat and Chicago is right on the edge.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, willland said:

It's amazing to see from 48 miles as the crow flies.  Especially at night.

I could only imagine from that close.

Bill

Nothing was as good when I got to touch that digital clock in the grass that I saw with every single launch from the one in `69 through the Challenger launch on tv. Saw it today but it's different again from the 90s what I got to see a shuttle launch `cause my other half worked at United Space Alliance. USA owned the shuttle until it cleared the tower then NASA and Houston took control.

Getting woke up early with sonic booms rattling me upon return was also a cool part of living there!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Oh YEAH!

Go when there is a Saturn Five launch at night, I lived in Port St John less than 15 miles away and one of those would make it a bright as a blue sky summers day at noon for five minutes.

In Rockledge further south it would do the same but in PSJ swear I could feel them vibrate the ground too!

Yes almost too close. Saw the moonshot 69 from Orlando....

Saw a. nightshot from 50 miles

that went from Kennedy towards the coast off Carolinas... spectacular.

• Like 1

Oh YEAH!

In Rockledge further south it would do the same but in PSJ swear I could feel them vibrate the ground too!

There was only one Saturn V launch at night. Apollo 17. I got special permission to stay up late to watch it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

There was only one Saturn V launch at night. Apollo 17. I got special permission to stay up late to watch it.

It was the Air Force that did all those V launches when I was down there.

Prior to living there I'd only seen Skylab III on my tenth birthday trip in a big four engine jetliner prior to the 747 down to Jax to see Uncle Bill, to disney then to the cape for the blastoff.

• Like 2

It was the Air Force that did all those V launches when I was down there.
Prior to living there I'd only seen Skylab III on my tenth birthday trip in a big four engine jetliner prior to the 747 down to Jax to see Uncle Bill, to disney then to the cape for the blastoff.

Ah, then you might mean Atlas V or Delta IV and not Saturn.

Sorry, I’m a space geek.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Ah, then you might mean Atlas V or Delta IV and not Saturn.

Sorry, I’m a space geek.

Not a problem, don't fret. 

WESH? I think or another tv channel in Orlando had someone there that loved the big, loud rockets. At the time the newscaster mentioned it was the largest rocket being used at that time in the early 90s. They would tell us in advance sometimes, sometimes a rocket would go off unbeknownst to me. Love that stuff and tried to keep track of it since I was so close! What it did have were five big nozzles that were very loud and very bright when operating.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/rocketry/home/rockets_stack_up_nf.html 

So I saw the Saturn in `73 for the skylab blastoff, the shuttles were a big launch too.

The unidentified payload launches we're talking about were freakin awesome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Not a problem, don't fret. 

WESH? I think or another tv channel in Orlando had someone there that loved the big, loud rockets. At the time the newscaster mentioned it was the largest rocket being used at that time in the early 90s. They would tell us in advance sometimes, sometimes a rocket would go off unbeknownst to me. Love that stuff and tried to keep track of it since I was so close! What it did have were five big nozzles that were very loud and very bright when operating.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/rocketry/home/rockets_stack_up_nf.html 

So I saw the Saturn in `73 for the skylab blastoff, the shuttles were a big launch too.

The unidentified payload launches we're talking about were freakin awesome!

Well, for Skylab III you saw a Saturn 1B (on the milkstool!).  The top half of a full-up moon rocket.  They didn't want to mess with the location of the white room on the tower but didn't need the bottom of the Saturn, so they just built a big stand called the milkstool to hold the 1B.  That put the command/service module where it "normally" was.  Lol.  Great solution to a problem!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Stennis space center is about 20-25 miles from here, it's where they test all of the rocket engines.  We can hear them on occasion but before they changed to the new engines when they tested the old ones you could feel it, it would rattle windows. Whatever the difference is is a big difference in sound and volume, before you would feel the bass it was so deep rumbling. It would start off really powerfully and kind of level off and getting loud again right before they shut it down. 

• Like 1