'Gater in the road???

Coytee

Last weekend I went to Beaufort, SC to visit with my father and his wife for couple days.

On my trip home, merrily driving down the road I noticed something ahead that was in the road so I moved to the side a bit to not run over it.

I was amazed to see an alligator in the middle of the road.  It must have been about four feet in length and evidently been hit several times.  I think the head/shoulders were severed from the main body.

I've seen plenty of skunks, raccoons, squirrels, deer....OH, have I seen the deer....  and now, an alligator.

After I had passed it, I thought to myself, I should have gone back, grabbed the head.  Brought the head home.  Forgetting about the smell, I could have had some (sick) fun with it down by the lake as people swing, ski, boat or whatever else they're doing.....then see the snout of a gator pop up above the waterline....  OR maybe put it in some bushes next to the walking trail.

I think I need help....

• Haha 1

There was a big alligator farm we went to in Alabama. The guy answering questions stated that alligators had been detected as far north as Cincinnatti  in the Ohio River. Quite rare but they had been seen. They are moving north.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

There was a big alligator farm we went to in Alabama. The guy answering questions stated that alligators had been detected as far north as Cincinnatti  in the Ohio River. Quite rare but they had been seen. They are moving north.

I hope they are not a protected species. We don't have anything up here that eats alligators.

JJK

4 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I hope they are not a protected species. We don't have anything up here that eats alligators.

JJK

I figure it is like rattlers and copperheads around here. If I see one on my land it goes away.

• Like 3

Dad was a developer (and built many condo's and other places on Hilton Head)

One day, at the condo where he was living.....  there was a call.  Seems over the evening, Mr. Gator decided to take a swim and was tanning  himself in the pool.  This isn't unheard of but from a northerner, it made you pause.

I get annoyed with the mosquitoes that might gnaw on you.....  this is a new league of gnaw.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

JJK

Not really protected but managed, they have kind of a drawing/lottery to be able to get tags to hunters. Each alligator get's a tag and you better not get caught with one dead or alive without a tag for it. It's how they manage the population. There are no shortages of gators.

Like Carl said they are good to eat, the tail anyway.

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

I figure it is like rattlers and copperheads around here. If I see one on my land it goes away.

Yep if I see one of those it goes away also, moving alot less. Same with alligators, we have found 3-4, I can't remember exactly in our pond, they left also. They were only about 4' but with grand kids swimming in it this was not a good place for them to stay.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

One brought home a pig skull from high school biology class and they painted it with glow in the dark paint, put it on my night table while I was asleep with a walk-in talkie under it and started.

Evidently that left lasting damage to you....(after all, here you are on a Klipsch head forum...!!!)

That said, I like their creativity.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Coytee said:
12 hours ago, dtel said:

Like Carl said they are good to eat, the tail anyway.

Figures....  I was interested in taking the head.

They use the whole thing but I have only heard of the tail for meat. If you have ever had Gar fish fried a gators meat is not far off from that, kind of fishy or a little strong in some cases. Some soak it in milk or other things to help get rid of a little of it.

The sell the heads to tourist in those junk shops, the skin for all kinds of things, boots, bags and wallets.  

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Coytee said:

Rhetorical question.....

Is it better to wake up next to a gator head....  or horses?

Idea :emotion-55:

Coytee could be the first person ever to have alligator skin Jubes, that would be crazy looking. 

23 minutes ago, dtel said:

Idea :emotion-55:

Coytee could be the first person ever to have alligator skin Jubes, that would be crazy looking. 

we could line the 402 with alligator teeth....hear me roar!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

Figures....  I was interested in taking the head.

-the poor thing was killed by insensitive  car drivers  --  and obviously no one stopped , creepy how we treat animals with inhumanity --very sad -

1 minute ago, RANDYH said:

-the poor thing was killed by insensitive  car drivers  --  and obviously no one stopped , creepy how we treat animals with inhumanity --very sad -

I was watching a documentary one time about drivers and animals.  Researchers would put a fake turtle in the road and every driver would make an effort to avoid it.  Next they put a fake snake in the road and everyone hit it.  A couple vehicles backed up and ran over it twice.

• Like 1