Embarrassed to admit about new van

DizRotus

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Yours is definitely more responsive than mine. I had to run errands at lunch today, so I purposely left stop/start enabled. At a traffic light, the time between when I actually depressed the accelerator and the car actually moved was about two seconds. Add that to the standard time it takes to move my foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.

It should start to move in milliseconds. Your system is defective.

JJK

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

good man!

I got the bright idea to go to Del Taco on Tuesday 5/5/20.  The drive-thru line was out into the street.  It took nearly 45 minutes to get the order.  I just relaxed and listened to the radio and slowly worked my way forward.  At least I was out of the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I've never once had an issue or felt that it was dangerous in any way.  People freaked out about seat belts at one time also.  They felt that they were dangerous or worse than not wearing them.  People don't like change, especially when you get to be Richies age.

Of course, you had to go there —. It’s not so much not liking change - helll I got use to 700+ HP. But then that got old —? Time for another change — shitt, I guess your right —

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Most accomplished stick drivers can heel and toe to hold the right foot on the brake while rocking it to the gas as the left foot releases the clutch.  An experienced driver can stop on a steep incline and then move forward without rolling into the Peterbuilt on the rear bumper, all while leaving the hands off the emergency brake.

I get a kick out of watching local doctors ride the clutches of their Porsches at stoplights because the don’t know the heel-toe technique.

Years ago I had a BMW 2002, that I needed to have  the hand brake cable replaced. I certainly had better things to do so I drove it for a bout. year without a hand brake. I became very adept at the process you describe. I worked in downtown San Francisco so the hills were pretty challenging.. I woman I worked with at the time needed to borrow my car one day. Needles to say she was a bit freaked out when she returned it! 

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I got the bright idea to go to Del Taco on Tuesday 5/5/20.  The drive-thru line was out into the street.  It took nearly 45 minutes to get the order.  I just relaxed and listened to the radio and slowly worked my way forward.  At least I was out of the house.

In SoCal they are pretty quick. But, they are also all over the place so if one is jam-packed, there is another one a few minutes drive away. 

I mostly got burritos; but sometimes i’d get a soft taco and put it inside the burrito. And yes, they’d even put ketchup in my burritos so i wouldn’t have to deal with a million of those ketchup packs. They also have very good fries. 

58 minutes ago, joshnich said:

Years ago I had a BMW 2002, that I needed to have  the hand brake cable replaced. I certainly had better things to do so I drove it for a bout. year without a hand brake. I became very adept at the process you describe. I worked in downtown San Francisco so the hills were pretty challenging.. I woman I worked with at the time needed to borrow my car one day. Needles to say she was a bit freaked out when she returned it! 

“ years ago had a BMW 2002”. 👍👍 Hell of a machine, I had two. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

You're forcing this story out of me....  

We were over in England once.  Met up with a fellow Klipsch head while there.  He picked us up and drove us to his home and later, to the train stop.

What I found so utterly interesting was his driving style (retentive habit)....  he drove a manual which is fine.  As we'd come to a stop for any reason....  stoplilght, sign, traffic backed up....  he would put car in neutral, wiggle the shifter knob and then would yank the parking brake up......holding the brake....when it was time for us to go, brake would go down, jab transmission into gear and off we'd go.  Next stop, neutral, wiggle the shifter and pull parking brake up.  Time to go, brake down, into gear.....  stop, wiggle, apply parking brake....

It was very interesting as he did it EVERY time we stopped.  

He has clearly never watched the Flintstones.

That’s what drivers are in the UK are taught to do at stoplights.  Add to that that most people don’t have access to a car in their teens, like we’re accustomed to in North America, so they mostly learn as adults and continue to do as they were taught.

That “put it in neutral and apply the handbrake at every red light” procedure seems crazy to me, too.  To maintain the habit, the stoplight sequence is different.  It goes Amber (slow down), Red (stop, shift to neutral and apply handbrake), Amber (shift into 1st, release handbrake and apply foot brake), Green (release foot brake, release clutch while applying gas, Go).

Since the vast majority of cars in the UK have manual transmissions, this is the sequence that every new driver is taught.  The last time I was in Ireland (the North and the Free State) to experience this was in 2000, so there are likely far more cars with auto transmissions on the road today.  I was able to get a rental car with auto trans for that visit.  Even so, change comes slowly to Driver Ed and to the habits of most of the population.

That Amber before Green sequence reminded me of the Christmas tree starting system at the drag strip, so I found it amusing, and was always ready to make a good start with minimum reaction time.

Between the “Christmas tree” stoplights and the absurdly high speed limits in very twisty country roads (it would take a skilled rally driver to reach the 100 km/hr/60 mph speed limit on those roads), I was able to drive very enthusiastically without breaking the law, which was a refreshing change from driving in North America.  My favourite road sign is the “end of speed limit” sign, a round grey sign with a black diagonal line across it.  This would be seen exiting most towns or villages, in other words, whenever leaving a built-up area.

Now, the sign just means that the speed limit goes to that 100 km/hr/60 mph figure, but as I said, it can be a challenge to reach that speed on those twisty roads.  Challenge accepted!

59 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

It's not functioning properly. My friend has a 2019 Grand Cherokee and it's instant.

Thanks, but I'm not worried about it. I defeat start/stop as a matter of habit.

12 minutes ago, Edgar said:

should still be on the warranty -----Jeep has an excellent warranty -- I would check the battery poles for any signs of blue battery corrosion , also the battery may be weak so the overall response is slower , if it's been that way since new , your battery was never A1 -

• Moderators
7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've yet to beat it but unlike dtel, I haven't tried it with 2 feet and left foot braking.

No I have not beat it either, even using 2 feet, as soon as you hit the gas pedal it responds as if the motor was already running. I don't know how it is that fast to start, it would seem whatever is doing should be how fast a car should start, it is much faster than what the starter does to start.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Edgar said:

I never use it either, mostly because I know if any of those parts go out it's going to be very expensive instead of a normal alternator and a few other parts. Ours works great but at what cost when those parts need replacing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DizRotus said:

How much gas can it save to offset the cost of a starter?

exactly........   I'd deactivate the switch, can't stand that feature.  The primary intent is to save the ozone, saving gasoline (oil) was secondary.