Embarrassed to admit about new van

DizRotus

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Gilbert said:
17 hours ago, DizRotus said:

How much gas can it save to offset the cost of a starter?

exactly........   I'd deactivate the switch, can't stand that feature.  The primary intent is to save the ozone, saving gasoline (oil) was secondary.

We never use it, it would depend on where you have to drive as to the change in mpg. For us it was maby on a good trial maby 1 mpg better but I doubt that much. It's useless for us.

Over the life of the car i really doubt it would save you enough to replace the alternator, which is the starter when that system is running, even under perfect conditions.

I am sure not with all cars it was an afterthought like on the Saturn. We had the exact same car, same color same engine, everything except not the hybrid but got rid of it for this one with 1/2 the miles on it for very close to a swap price. When we looked at this one we never realized it was a hybrid, or this type anyway, our fault. 

It was such an afterthought with this car the hybrid system is in the bottom of the rear floor, it's an suv. It goes across the round recessed part where the spare tire would go, so the spare, if you want one has to sit in the back taking up space. New the car came with a little air compressor and a can of fix a flat. I had no idea about this kind of hybrid, but will never have one again.

It was our fault but now we know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

We never use it, it would depend on where you have to drive as to the change in mpg. For us it was maby on a good trial maby 1 mpg better but I doubt that much.

I actually checked that. When we're not hunkered-down for a pandemic, my driving is virtually identical, week-to-week. So for one week I left it on, another I left it off. The difference was 0.1 mpg. That's right -- 1/10. That's within the measurement error, and could be caused by weather, bad stoplight karma, etc.

• Thanks 1

A girlfriend of mine had a Mini, that had that feature. Personally, I didn't care for it. The reason being, it was simply audible within the car. I like a quiet car, one that is seen and not heard, which is not a Mini.  If the engines stop, start feature didn't intrude into the cabin, I probably wouldn't mind it.         

It took some digging in the owner’s manual, but I was able to confirm the existence of the “Auto-Stop” feature and how to disable it.  As others have articulated, I don’t see this as a direct benefit to me, but as a way for Ford to meet CAFE standards and/or emissions regulations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

In regards to the Jeep Grand Cherokee I believe it is an option for over $1,000.00. And the batteries they use for that option would choke a horse. (You need a fork lift to remove it)

Do you mean hybrid, or do you mean start/stop? The hybrid won't be available until 2021. The start/stop has been standard for years.

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

Do you mean hybrid, or do you mean start/stop? The hybrid won't be available until 2021. The start/stop has been standard for years.

Just the start/stop unless I made a mistake.

JJK

1 minute ago, JJkizak said:

Have you looked at the size of the battery yet?

Nah. This is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that I considered to be an "appliance". I don't modify it, I don't wrench on it, I don't care about it. I just get in, push the button, and drive. I guess the years are catching up with me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

JJK

Our new Wrangler, with stop/start has the same V6 engine, or darn near, as a Cherokee. The battery is just a battery, no bigger than normal — . These systems are not options - you are stuck with them and luckily with a simple push button to disengage 

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

JJK

It's a normal size battery, I have no idea what you're referring to.  Some stop start vehicles have a small secondary battery about the size of a motorcycle battery.  It runs the interior electronics.  The larger battery will be used to start the vehicle.  The Grand Cherokee and Durango have batteries located under the passenger front seat.  They have one normal size AGM battery and one tiny AGM battery.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Our new Wrangler, with stop/start has the same V6 engine, or darn near, as a Cherokee. The battery is just a battery, no bigger than normal — . These systems are not options - you are stuck with them and luckily with a simple push button to disengage 

You could possibly have 2 depending on options.  The second small one will either be under the existing battery tray or behind the wheel well.

Ali_edited.thumb.jpg.eada40e83656f8b5a01bcb731e0c8be0.jpg

On 5/29/2020 at 9:43 AM, Edgar said:

Nah. This is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that I considered to be an "appliance". I don't modify it, I don't wrench on it, I don't care about it. I just get in, push the button, and drive. I guess the years are catching up with me.

I’ve felt that way with all my vehicles after selling the one in my avatar.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:45 AM, Edgar said:

I actually checked that. When we're not hunkered-down for a pandemic, my driving is virtually identical, week-to-week. So for one week I left it on, another I left it off. The difference was 0.1 mpg. That's right -- 1/10. That's within the measurement error, and could be caused by weather, bad stoplight karma, etc.

More city driving equals more gas savings.  More highway driving equals less gas savings.  Some people will benefit more than others.  YMMV.  lol.

37 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

More city driving equals more gas savings.  More highway driving equals less gas savings.  Some people will benefit more than others.  YMMV.  lol.

I understand that. So, for someone like me who doesn't benefit from it, why can't I turn it off permanently?