Klipsch Chorus II's Updates

Jperes

Klipsch Chorus II's from 1991

Should I update the crossovers/ have them recapped? I love these babies. I am the second owner and these are my speakers!!!! should I contact Crites?  I want to see how beautiful these can sound! I run with a 2009 Yamaha RS-700 100w 2 channel receiver. 13x15 foot room. Thinking of uprgrading to the A-S Series...

Thanks!

Edited by Jperes

@Jperes,

Welcome to the forum.

6 hours ago, Jperes said:

Should I update the crossovers/ have them recapped?

First make sure it has not already been performed.  If able, ask the previous owner if they had this done already before you open those babies up.

6 hours ago, Jperes said:

Thinking of uprgrading to the A-S Series...

Which A-S specifically?

Bill

• Like 1

I am thinking A-S 800 or 1100... I like the price of the 800 but I dont know if it is a huge upgrade from my receiver. I know the A-s are dedicated amplifier so maybe I will get better fidelity?

The original owner passed and I purchased from my local Hi-fI shop ,from the used inventory. (He was consigning for the estate). Based on the rusty screws my guess was these were in the basement (humidity) and probably had no work done. I opened the back connection port and did see the board said Klipsch Chorus II,  so I do not think any work had been done. 

Other than that I have been pretty happy with the sound. (switched from Paradigms which I felt were too sterile/fatiguing).  My goal is to get another 20-30 years out of these speakers hence the upgrades. I am not handy at all and dont want to mess these up too much... I may offer to pay my dealer to install the updates for me.

My Room is 13x15 and have run a Yamamah R-S 700 receiver (2 channel dedicated unit),  Project debut with Ortofon Blue and Cambridge Azur 640 Cd with Muse model II external DAC. I am getting to my endgame and hope these updates could help polish up the sound I want. Sometimes I feel it is a touch flat...

Edited by Jperes

9 hours ago, Jperes said:

Klipsch Chorus II's from 1991

Should I update the crossovers/ have them recapped? I love these babies. I am the second owner and these are my speakers!!!! should I contact Crites?  I want to see how beautiful these can sound! I run with a 2009 Yamaha RS-700 100w 2 channel receiver. 13x15 foot room. Thinking of uprgrading to the A-S Series...

Thanks!

------welcome to the forum

• Thanks 1

The simplest and most cost effective tweak I have found for any speaker with the K-79/76/75 (etc.) tweeter is titanium diaphragms. It’s first on my list.

You may be all set with just that, it’s as far as I ever got!

Haven’t seen a whole lot of crossover mods for the Chorus 2 over the years, actually can’t think of any. Which is saying something about the original.

7 minutes ago, geoff. said:

The simplest and most cost effective tweak I have found for any speaker with the K-79/76/75 (etc.) tweeter is titanium diaphragms. It’s first on my lis

-----titanium is ok at low volumes   , but they can irritate the hell of any listener at higher output ---- they screech so bad , your ears will hurt---

8 hours ago, Jperes said:

I am thinking A-S 800 or 1100... I like the price of the 800 but I dont know if it is a huge upgrade from my receiver. I know the A-s are dedicated amplifier so maybe I will get better fidelity?

I think you mean the A-S801 and I bet it's topology is not much different than your R-S700 except with an onboard DAC.  The A-S1100 should be a considerable improvement.  With the new Yamaha analog integrated amps(A-S1200, 2200, 3200) out now, the A-S1100 should be discounted.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Each of us have our own preferences, I would re-cap the crossovers before doing anything else.* My thinking would be to see what you have with the xovers working 100% correctly before changing anything. Those caps are ~30 years old and unlike inductors & resistors they do have a finite lifespan. Then go on to the Ti tweeter  diaphragms if you want - most do in the end but at least you can see how much each change makes.

*I would be re-capping the xovers myself and not send them off or buy new copy's of the OEM xo's. This all would depend on your own skill level.

• Like 1

IMO, the biggest change you can make (since you're thinking of it anyway) is your amplifier.  The Chorus II shines with quality amplification (solid state) and at higher volumes.  I would then consider the crossovers, and lastly the tweeters.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, willland said:

I think you mean the A-S801 and I bet it's topology is not much different than your R-S700 except with an onboard DAC.  The A-S1100 should be a considerable improvement.  With the new Yamaha analog integrated amps(A-S1200, 2200, 3200) out now, the A-S1100 should be discounted.

Bill

Then I will save away!!!!

47 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

IMO, the biggest change you can make (since you're thinking of it anyway) is your amplifier.  The Chorus II shines with quality amplification (solid state) and at higher volumes.  I would then consider the crossovers, and lastly the tweeters.

This is good advice. My Chorus both the 1's and 2's loved my old McIntosh 2105.

12 hours ago, RANDYH said:

-----titanium is ok at low volumes   , but they can irritate the hell of any listener at higher output ---- they screech so bad , your ears will hurt---

-----so you speak for every listener   ? from what i see on here & other forums, 9 out of 10 people like the TI tweets ---- thats fine if thats your opinion of them, but why try & tell the OP that his ears will hurt---

• Like 1

Ya, I was holding back on that, but...

Why does Klipsch use that EXACT same titanium TWEETER diaphragm in the current production run of the HIGHLY regarded Heresy 4, Forte 3, and Cornwall 4, as well as the pro model KI-396 if it is so horrible?

I am sure they could keep pumping out phenolic diaphragms for less if it made ANY sense whatsoever to do so.

• Like 2

cool this is reassuring I made the right call- the cost to get new caps and kit wasnt much different than new Crossovers so I just splurged. I am so nervous of messing these up I am calling an electrician to do the install. I will post back with the results. Anyone have a recommendation for screening? 

My usual reference song is the Title Theme from Last of the Mohicans...

16 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

Klipsch-Titanium-Diaphragm-for-K-72-K-74-K-75-K-76-K-79-K-83-K-84-K-85-K-88-K-90 here is the aftermarket  sold at various outlets online -   very thin leads  and a blank stamped dome

Curious what source are those aftermarket diaphragms, Crites do not look like the ones pictured.

11 hours ago, Jperes said:

Anyone have a recommendation for screening?

If the electrician is amicable make the change to one speaker, then compare it with the unaltered original. In Mono if possible. An immediate A/B comparison is more trustworthy than recalling a sound signature from memory.