ALK Universal

mojomc

Last night I got around to changing the tap to 3.

Being evening I was doing low level listening to a couple of my favorite sit back with a drink albums, Nat King Cole's Penthouse Serenade and Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus. Both sounded nice and even but no vocals.

Today I've returned to Samantha Fish, The Black Crowes and even a little AC/DC, although I usually save the rock for our KLF30's or RF7's. Big difference and all it took was making a small change.

Thanks again to all who offered their guidance and suggestions especially the network builder Dean!

Now we can listen and form a more informed opinion about which network we prefer. If it turns out to be the AA then perhaps I'll undertake building a scratch AA network. I work in the electrical industry and understand circuits, impedance, etc but that is applied only to the 60Hz electrical system but I can follow a schematic. I'm not an electrician but work in a control room for a local RTO holding a NERC Reliability certification. Application of these principles in the audio reproduction realm is something I'm still learning. 

I went ahead and dove in a bit further and got in touch with DaveA and ordered a pair of MAHL v2 lenses and DE120 tweets. I've hesitated to make any changes since there were my step dad's who purchased them new in Hope in '77. They were our first bonding experience and continued to be all the way through his battle with lung cancer, he was not a smoker BTW. He wanted to be sure that they came home with me because we always, always had them playing. Anyway, I decided since none of these changes are permanent to go ahead and give it a chance. I feel like he would have been on board with the experimentation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojomc said:

I went ahead and dove in a bit further and got in touch with DaveA and ordered a pair of MAHL v2 lenses and DE120 tweets

I have a pair of the original ALK universals in a pair of Industrial split Lascalas.  They also have the original MAHL (walnut) lenses and DE120s.  The combination is magical.

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, mojomc said:

Tedeschi Trucks Band playing now and it's syrupy sweet!

So did you ever get a chance to finalize your listening impressions between the ALK universals and the AA's? I know this is an old thread but I am interested to hear the results. Thanks!