removal of Volume pot from my tube amp

joessportster

I have a 6l6 amp with a volume pot that I believe is causing the signal to break up at certain volumes. The Pot is not working properly as turned fully 1 direction mutes amp but barely turn it the opposite direction and you are at full volume with another 7/8 of dial turn remaining that makes no difference in sound. The amp builder said I could defeat the pot by cutting the grounds but this keeps signal running through the pot correct ?

The Pot is a W.L. B1M which would indicate 1 Meg Ohm. In my lay understanding that is the Pots max not necessarily what is being fed it in my amps case. Disconnecting the grounds leaves 2 leads on the pot. If the amp were powered up and I read the Ohms between the remaining 2 leads (Carefully of course) would I get a measurement telling me what size resistor to put between those 2 leads there by totally taking the pot out of the signal chain ?

If I am correct is there a best type resistor for this purpose ?

Any knowledgeable help appreciated.  Joe

second that  -open the amp ----put a small cloth under the pot --back and front , spray gently , turn the pot slowly 5 times  in both directions , done , otherwise if no amelioration ------ replace the pot

Appreciate the advice, But the amp is only a couple months old and the pot makes no noise as though it might have oxidation etc... So not sure what cleaning the pot could possibly do. At any rate the builder said if I cut the grounds the pot basically becomes a dead end and no signal passes through it. So gonna give that a try will update results. Fingers crossed,  praying to the rock gods  the distortion clears up..........................

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

So, you live in humid N. Carolina.  Who knows where the amp came from>  Why disregard the advice?  What have you got to lose other than $15 on a can of Deoxit?

the amp went from California to Hawaii and then to me. I am not dis regarding anything I  thought I was pretty clear on the fact that I want it outta the chain, (Perhaps not so clear) My goal is to take it out of the chain all together.  I have used De-oxit many times for various reasons, it is good at what it was made for.