Help with crossover

Lucas hof

some help from you would go a long way, those look to be upgraded caps and resistor what speaker model is this network out of?  if you take a clear photo of the printed labels on the caps the info you need may be there. I suggest you contact Bob Crites he will help you out and sell you quality caps of the correct capacitance and voltage value he will even install and test the network for you. If you have no experience soldering especially capacitors (they can be easily damaged) pay to have it done, Bob is your go to guy.

those are 250 volt plastic caps and if the network works properly I would suggest that you leave well enough alone. if it aint broke don't fix it. it is not likely that changing them out for newer plastic caps is going to make much if any difference to you except make your wallet lighter. suggest you spend your money on a better front end for your system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are several KG crossovers that align with specific model speakers. You can find Klipsch crossover schematics in a sticky thread in the Technical Mods section of this forum. After determining your model speaker, you may find what your looking for over there.

Thanks for the help. I’m not sure what model it is, no marking on the cabinet. The woofer is a k-8-k. I want to replace the capacitors as the crossover is not working. Still makes sound but nothing beautiful- no low end, extremely weak high end, and horrible weak mids. To be sure the problem is the crossover I switched the woofers between cabinets and the other cabinet sounds great with both woofers. Thanks for the tip to reach out to bob Crites. I have seen his name and from the look of his webpage he really knows what he is doing! Issue is that I live in Germany - if I were home in Nashville I would go to one of my many audio Tex friends! 

18 hours ago, moray james said:

some help from you would go a long way, those look to be upgraded caps and resistor what speaker model is this network out of?  if you take a clear photo of the printed labels on the caps the info you need may be there. I suggest you contact Bob Crites he will help you out and sell you quality caps of the correct capacitance and voltage value he will even install and test the network for you. If you have no experience soldering especially capacitors (they can be easily damaged) pay to have it done, Bob is your go to guy.

those are 250 volt plastic caps and if the network works properly I would suggest that you leave well enough alone. if it aint broke don't fix it. it is not likely that changing them out for newer plastic caps is going to make much if any difference to you except make your wallet lighter. suggest you spend your money on a better front end for your system.

values are: 
105/69
4/5%
250V
32/25

105/69
12/5%
250V
82/28

VPR 10F
15 Ohm
INDIA

105/69
6.0/5%
250V
82/28

On 5/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, moray james said:
On 5/31/2020 at 2:34 PM, Alexander said:

What are the capacitor values marked in uF? Also the resistor value too. This may help to narrow down what you are working with

I could not find anything that matched up with those values, sorry. Maybe another member will have better luck. But at any rate with those values you can just replace the components with new/better ones.

BTW, was the k-8-k used in any other of the kg model line other than just the kg4?

It's still unclear whether those parts are stock, or have been replaced at some point, and if so, are the values correct? The build quality doesn't look stock to me. I say that because of the quality of the build. Nothing looks fastened down (no strain relief), components laying on wire runs. Seems a bit off. Maybe a cost-cutting measure, though?

6 hours ago, Blvdre said:

It's still unclear whether those parts are stock, or have been replaced at some point, and if so, are the values correct? The build quality doesn't look stock to me. I say that because of the quality of the build. Nothing looks fastened down (no strain relief), components laying on wire runs. Seems a bit off. Maybe a cost-cutting measure, though?

the caps and resistor are not stock they are (imo) probably better than what was originally in the crossover but I will add a caveat in that the factory caps were paper in oil with aluminum foil or film (plastic) in oil with deposited aluminum. These were what the speakers were originally voiced with so if you want the original voicing you will want to stick with caps like that but if you prefer the sound of film caps then you can go that way it's your preference and your call. The caps in the network as it is now probably sound just fine. I would suggest that you spend your money on changes that will make a large difference. Again this is your call do as you please it is your money and time. Opinions are like elbows everyone has a couple of them.

7 hours ago, moray james said:

the caps and resistor are not stock they are (imo) probably better than what was originally in the crossover but I will add a caveat in that the factory caps were paper in oil with aluminum foil or film (plastic) in oil with deposited aluminum. These were what the speakers were originally voiced with so if you want the original voicing you will want to stick with caps like that but if you prefer the sound of film caps then you can go that way it's your preference and your call. The caps in the network as it is now probably sound just fine. I would suggest that you spend your money on changes that will make a large difference. Again this is your call do as you please it is your money and time. Opinions are like elbows everyone has a couple of them.

In a KG series speaker? I do not think they ever got oil/foil caps did they? Were the KGs even offered that far back when that was the norm?  I would have thought polyester/NPEs would be in the original xovers.

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

In a KG series speaker? I do not think they ever got oil/foil caps did they? Were the KGs even offered that far back when that was the norm?  I would have thought polyester/NPEs would be in the original xovers.

forgive me I had forgotten that this was from one of the KG model networks. I was of course thinking of the heritage models which used motor run caps and still do. Never the less the caps and resistor do not look stock to me and yes the larger value caps in the non heritage line were electrolytic non polar types and later KG versions also incorporated poly switches to protect the tweeter from abuse/damage. The network shown does not look to me to use either stock caps or a stock resistor. Thank you for catching my mistake as it would only cause confusion I do appreciate you letting me know.

As an aside motor run caps could be used in a network like this but they will shift the voicing of the network and if that is considered a good change or not will depend upon the listener.

14 hours ago, moray james said:

MJ, these are not my speakers. I'm questioning whether the current parts are correct/appropriate for the speaker model (whatever that may be). We don't know what the speaker model is, or what the correct crossover component values should be. Not a great place to start.

Here is an identical one on ebay 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233091792904

Unfortunately there isn't info on what model it goes to.

I would say the caps are stock.

For the crossover to be built on a board it must be pre-1985? 

That is the first year for the Heresy 2 and it's crossover was built on the input cup.

This crossover is likely for the very first model in the KG line.  KG1?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, Lucas hof said:

I have seen his name and from the look of his webpage he really knows what he is doing! Issue is that I live in Germany - if I were home in Nashville I would go to one of my many audio Tex friends! 

I have a guy there that can help you.

I will post his forum info here. He can tell you where to get parts, etc. 

He built external crossovers for his RF-7II so he can help you get hooked up with parts there.

His screen name is @MicroMara

Travis 

Edited by dwilawyer