New 7.2.4 setup feedback help

spencersmb

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted, but I just am about to move into my new house and am trying to figure out a good compromise for this basement I'll be using for my theater. Its a nice wide open space which is great but its not as ideal as something like a dedicated movie room. The previous owner had 4 in ceiling speakers that I will be using as atmos, and I'm thinking about hangin my rears and my surrounds. Aside from having sound reflecting issues in a space like this, are there any other recommended ways to setup this room for a 7.2.4 system?

I've added a rough sketch from top view for speaker placement, keep in mind the rears and surrounds would be mounted to ceiling pointed down at the listener. Last image is a bad photoshop job to get an idea of placement as well.

The speakers Ill be hanging are 4 RP-502s. Also just noting that I have 4(2-pair) RP-500SA that I want to sell ( 1 yr old low use ) I'll post about this in the sellers area, but thought I would mention it just in case. 

Thanks,

Spencer

surrounds-1.jpg

room.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.44.41 PM.png

Here are some quick thoughts.

Is there a reason why you choose to hang the surround vs placing on speaker stand?  I feel the rear surround can potentially be wall mounted and side surrounds on stands.  Would match much better to ATMOS placement guide which suggests surround at ear level.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

As for sub, do the usual sub crawl to find a good place that is suitable.

Lastly, may also consider some acoustic panels at the rear wall (top priority) and then any possible 1st reflection points.  Don’t have to go crazy but I think that’d help once you have speaker placed set.

• Like 1

@Univek Thank you for the response and thoughts on the layout. I'll respond to each one to at least understand where I was coming from in the design.

2 hours ago, Univek said:

Is there a reason why you choose to hang the surround vs placing on speaker stand?

Maybe its my basic illustration, but on the left there are double pane doors near the dart board, so I'm not 100% sure I could have a stand there but you are right if I can I will have them on stands/ wall mount them. It's the other side that is the issue. There is a bar with a stools there- Ill upload a pic. If I add a stand there it would be basically in the middle of the bar / walkway. It would have to be placed like on the end of the bar right lol?

The rear left speaker could def be wall mounted but the rear right I think would end up right were the pool table is, however I have read that I could possibly mount them right next to each other directly behind the couch on the edge of the wall with the 3 guitars. Its not what dolby specs out but I've read a lot of blogs that have said it can work because the speakers are not bookshelf, they are the 502s. So again that is why I was wondering about ceiling mounting them and pointing them down. Then you start to loose that bed layer separation like you mentioned from the atmos layer. What are your thoughts on the surrounds, RP-502's, being slightly behind the main listening position and not exactly 90 degrees?

Great idea on the panels in the rear. I was looking up a blackout curtain for the sliding doors as well as one that could be sound proof as much as curtains can be to help with that first reflection point on that left side. The reflection point on the right side from the Front Right Speaker I think ends up being in the bar, so I am just kinda not sure what to do with that bar area in general. Def not ideal so I was seeing if anyone had any good ideas on problem solving.

Again I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter!

Cheers,

Spencer

right-side.jpg

@spencersmb wellcome to forum.. wow excellent and awesome room..Rp.502S is for surround is for small rooms,

very close to the sofa, where you sit ... is my opinion of everything I have read and researched. for you, it would be more immersive, Rp-600m at the back and the Rp-502S at the sides, the Rp-500SA would be for dolby atmos .. they come with a switch for the use you want to give it .. as surround or as Dolby atmos .. what AVR do you have? How big is your living room? do you have an amplifier These are some questions that I would ask myself ... however your room looks spectacular ... it is just organizing and getting the best out of what you have ...

@angelluisg

Thx for the help! Interesting, so try the 502s closer to the couch. My original layout concept was looking at what dolby specs out for surround placement. I always thought speakers needed to be at least 3-4 feat away from the listener. Of course I could be totally wrong too lol.

Speaking of the AV I have a Denon 4500H and an Emotiva Gen 3. 5 channel amp. The rest of my setup so far are 2 rf-7 III(fronts) and the rc-64 III(center) + 2 R115sw subs. Its a lot of system that I am hoping to cover the larger room.

The room is about 25x28 ft ( the main area with the couch) 

I suppose I'll have to sell that 2nd set of 502s that I am using as rears currently and pick up the 600m to optimize it.

Yea the main goal is to try and figure out a good layout with out it being in the way of walking areas or have wires laying out. Its why I naturally first thought of hanging everything.

Cheers,

Spencer

5 minutes ago, spencersmb said:

Speaking of the AV I have a Denon 4500H and an Emotiva Gen 3. 5 channel amp. The rest of my setup so far are 2 rf-7 III(fronts) and the rc-64 III(center) + 2 R115sw subs. Its a lot of system that I am hoping to cover the larger room.

@spencersmb wow the RF 7III and center RC-64 III is my next goal..I have subwoofer 115 sw is amazing ..with this set up you movies..will be espectacular in you room..

denon 4500H is 9.2 channel ..is 125 w is good and emotiva is very powerful..in my opinion only connect L-C-R  and connect another's with denon ..or use emotiva for dolby atmos 2 pair only ..this is powerful too..this is it ..to find better way comfortable sound in your room , with all setup you have ..and you have the best right now..

15 minutes ago, spencersmb said:

I suppose I'll have to sell that 2nd set of 502s that I am using as rears currently and pick up the 600m to optimize it.

the Rp-402s and Rp-502S are new speaker for dispersion , but no have cabinet for speaker.. so is for more closes possible 2 or 3 feet from you is not the same Rp-600m , more musical, more volumen , more details.. thats I have..now I will change my Rp-402s surround side for Rp-600m and my room is small 13 x 16 ..enjoy ..

@angelluisg

Wow thanks for all the tips! Yea I can't wait to set it up and tweak it!. Right now the amp is on the L, R & center front stage like you suggested, and I would like to get another amp just for the atmos. You will like those speakers when you get them :) Well you have given me a lot to think about and try out in the coming weeks. I'll post back here when I have some real world results. Until then I have some speakers to try and Ebay haha.

Cheers,

Spencer