On a Khorn, has anyone ever seen ...

Tony T

a Foster 025N27 Tweeter? I just bought a pristine pair of Khorns with these tweeters in it. Someone has removed the K-77's originally mounted on the motorboard and went through the extra trouble of boring out round holes to accept these tweeters instead. My discovery finds these particular Fosters are not rated very high in the consumer world. Additionally, they modified the board to accept a small blue capacitor which may or may not have anything to do with the Foster tweeter.

Anyone?

klipschorns (new used May 0f 2020) Foster  025N27 Tweeter.jpg

28 minutes ago, Tony T said:

a Foster 025N27 Tweeter? I just bought a pristine pair of Khorns with these tweeters in it. Someone has removed the K-77's originally mounted on the motorboard and went through the extra trouble of boring out round holes to accept these tweeters instead. My discovery finds these particular Fosters are not rated very high in the consumer world. Additionally, they modified the board to accept a small blue capacitor which may or may not have anything to do with the Foster tweeter.

Anyone?

send us another picture -   but spin the tweeter around so that we can see the front ------some Foster tweeters were as good as the k76 -  now to butcher a Khorn to fit these is as weird as it gets

11 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

The capacitor likely came with the tweeter. When you throw those tweeters away and put some 77s back in, you can toss the cap too.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I had to laugh when I first saw it thinking ... why would ya fix it if it aint broke? DUH

Since I still cannot figure out how to paste pictures "OVER 2MB", I fished this off the internet. Identical to what I have.

By the by, does anyone have and clean Khorn tweeters hanging around? These are 1984's with the AK-2 board. I'm having a difficult time figuring out which K-77 was used in 84. 

Klipschorn Foster tweeter  DUH  5 29 2020.jpg

4 minutes ago, geoff. said:

K-77s come up ALL the time on ebay.

A pair went cheap and fast this morning, $125 I think...

But... there are arguably (way) better options if you are starting from scratch anyway with a big hole in motorbord.

4 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Yeah I see them come & go too but hey, if you guys have any better suggestions ... I'm open to them. As long as the alternate tweeters understand AK-2 language. I've already ordered replacement sonic caps to spruce things up a bit.

how did he cut a hole in the motorboard without ruining the grill cloth. guess he could have recovered it with new cloth

i would patch the hole and put in stock tweeters and see how they sound - don't know  about the crossovers with the blue thing

later on i would put in some AA crossovers but i think 84 has 2 piece crossovers which the other half is in the bass bin. removing the access door is a pain

You might want to hold off on the new caps until you determine what tweeters you will be using.

(the tweeters may dictate the crossover and point which in turn will dictate the choice of cap). 

IMHO, it is always a disappointment seeing these sorts of "upgrades"

Good luck,

-Tom

1 hour ago, Budman said:

how did he cut a hole in the motorboard without ruining the grill cloth. guess he could have recovered it with new cloth

i would patch the hole and put in stock tweeters and see how they sound - don't know  about the crossovers with the blue thing

later on i would put in some AA crossovers but i think 84 has 2 piece crossovers which the other half is in the bass bin. removing the access door is a pain

You pose an interesting question Budman. I haven't the foggiest on how a person would cut the motorboard without damaging the cloth. As far as I can tell, the cloth is OEM. The holes are not perfect so they didn't use a "hole saw" bit to do the job which puzzles me all the more. A fair amount of effort went into this including removing the circuit board for clear access in order to perform the cutting.

That tweeter sounds better than a K-77. Fostex makes good stuff.

I would start by setting the speakers up and actually listening to them. 

There is an adjustable L-pad so you can adjust the tweeter's output.

Since the original cutout is still there for the K-77-M, it wouldn't be much trouble to go in that direction if you don't like what you hear.

• Like 2