smaller scale Klipschorn

16 minutes ago, Edgar said:

There was a article in Speaker Builder magazine for a Klipschorn-inspired midrange horn. I'll see if I can find the issue.

Either my memory fails me after 37 years, or it was in a different magazine. I found an article titled "A 70Hz Mini Horn", by Bruce Edgar (no relation) in the 2/83 issue of Speaker Builder. But I don't think that's the article that I remember.

FWIW, DIY is my middle name, but I would NEVER devote the time and materials to such a project for the reason stated by Michael @Schu.  Neither would I discourage anyone else from doing it.  Most people think I’m wasting time and money fooling with audio.

You use the corner for bass reinforcement.  Not sure there is a benefit of the corner when you are doing mids, particularly with the folds which aren't conducive to passing higher frequencies.  Probably just a project for the fun of it.

Midbass, possibly though again seems to be rather frequency range limited.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:31 AM, angelaudio said:

I Googled everywhere without success. Did anyone ever build a scaled down Klipschorn like a 1/2 scale or 1/3 scale? 

welcome aboard. Just so you know you cannot scale a horn because it is based upon wavelength from a practical point of view if you want good efficiency it needs to be at least a 1/4 wavelength long and wide at the mouth to achieve your desired low frequency cut off. The easiest way to shrink the size of a horn is to start with the largest area woofer you can this will shorten the length but it won't change the mouth size. If you don't mind lower efficiency and a little lighter bass you can drop to an 1/8 wave but at that point a well designed reflex design will probably yield as good or better results with a lot less work. There are no tricks or easy ways around it horns will be big if you want them to play low.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RandyH said:

image.jpeg.a5a2b1faf1da9673bb6546c66af9b255.jpeg

I'm sure PWK did it... From Stories told by delgado and other klipsch employees PWK built different size jubilees. We were shown a motor board complete witjh two 6 inch drivers and a passive in the midle. I think scaling the Jubilee would be an easier build.

52 minutes ago, seti said:

I think scaling the Jubilee would be an easier build.

-----most definitely --the Jubilee was designed with Cad Software  and it's logical to assume that the cab  could be scaled with drivers ranging from 18-12--6 -

-the 6 inch motor board you saw may have been the 1/2 scale factory test bed for the 100% scale  Jubilee cab -

On 6/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, RandyH said:

-----most definitely --the Jubilee was designed with Cad Software  and it's logical to assume that the cab  could be scaled with drivers ranging from 18-12--6 -

-the 6 inch motor board you saw may have been the 1/2 scale factory test bed for the 100% scale  Jubilee cab -

Not sure the jub was designed with cad software....  But yeah easier to scale.

My conjecture:

Thinking about this, it looks like the corner is actually an imperfect extension/expansion of the bass horn.  There should be a region in a bass horn's area expansion where a 90 degree corner is a pretty good approximation of the mouth area and increases in area for the needed additional area, for a few feet.  I'll bet the K-horn size is about that right mouth area.  A scaled down K-horn would have a mouth area likely too small and the discontinuity would mean it got less benefit from the corner.