smaller scale Klipschorn

On 5/31/2020 at 9:31 AM, angelaudio said:

Did anyone ever build a scaled down Klipschorn like a 1/2 scale or 1/3 scale?

For what its worth, PWK made shorthorns for a while (pics below). I don't know if they meet your criteria, but I'm curious to know more. It might be good to know these are 'out there'; you never know what's around-the-CORNER (!)

shorthorn-0.jpg

shorthorn-1.jpg

shorthorn-2.jpg

• Like 1

The Shorthorn was a back-loaded horn, i.e., only the sound wave from the rear of the bass driver cone was fed into the bass horn.  Most of the frequency range was directly radiated from the front of the bass driver, and only the rear output was propagated through a bass horn.  That makes a world of difference.  That said, I thought the Shorthorn was a very nice, liner-sounding speaker.

Because the Model S Shorthorn (pictured above) horn was indeed short in length and had a faster taper, it was not able to propagate frequencies below 40 Hz  (spec of 60) at best.  The only exception to that was the Model T Shorthorn which had a much longer horn and slower taper, and was capable of reaching 45 Hz (35 at best).  Those are very rare, sold largely as mono units and almost never found in a stereo pair.  The T was also a back-loaded horn, and thus a dramatically less spacious sound than a K-horn.  I'm sure you wouldn't get the same kind of amazing sound from trying to scale it down.

See www.HiFiLit.com

angelaudio, et al,

Here's an interesting article on the design and construction of a "Klipschorn" using a 12" woofer. Lots of good design data to chew on.

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Elektor/INDIA/Elektor-In-1989-05.pdf

If you aren't familiar with the www.worldradiohistory.com web site, it is a treasure trove of downloadable magazines and publications. Back issues of most all the audio-related magazines from U.S., UK and other publishers are but a fraction of the offerings. You can search the entire site (not recommended unless you have hours to see each result) or a specific publication. It will return the year(s) and issue(s) your search term generated.

Lee

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, seti said:

Not sure the jub was designed with cad software....  But yeah easier to scale.

---the concept was PWK and his Team - the production phase used Cad /CNC --

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RandyH said:

---the concept was PWK and his Team - the production phase used Cad /CNC --

All the prototypes of the Jube bass bin were built using a table saw...and routers and such.  My best friend Mike was on that R&D team as a "worker-bee"...and he had to either tear things apart for a re-build,  or completely build another one each time they were tested and changes were made.  TRUST ME, I've heard all about the development from him over the years!  I'm pretty sure that somewhere there is evidence in CAD of each prototype built tho...to include its final version.  This was in order to save wasting time working up any CNC programs until the final prototype passed muster, I'm sure!

Now, as for a scaled--down K-horn...Bois'd'arc (Robert Wyatt) built one over 40 years ago...it was 1/2 scale meaning one-fourth in size...and in his own words..."sure was lots of work to end up with something that didn't even sound as good as a KG2!  But at least I can say I built one someday!"  It was eventually stolen from him!  He had been keeping it under his K-horn work table and one day it was just gone!  No telling where it ended up, either!  We searched high and low...because that theft was not supposed to happen in our factory...meant we had some thieves around!  Everybody I knew was pretty pissed about it, too!...including myself!  He and I were very good friends!...still are!

• Like 1

There was a member on here a number of years ago that made a pair of scaled down Klipschorn's and Belle's and they were rather nicely done.  I don't recall his name but I think he sold a pair to a forum member.  There were photos as well not sure if they are archived on the old forum or not.  They guy was a very good master cabinet maker.

On 6/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, Endo said:

For what its worth, PWK made shorthorns for a while (pics below). I don't know if they meet your criteria, but I'm curious to know more. It might be good to know these are 'out there'; you never know what's around-the-CORNER (!)

shorthorn-0.jpg

shorthorn-1.jpg

shorthorn-2.jpg

This is amazing! This is exactly what I was talking about. Never even knew there was such a thing as a Klipsch "shorthorn" speaker. Awesome. Sure would kill to find a pair just for their history alone. Can't even believe the prices they were selling for being so low! Thanks for sharing. 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:10 PM, angelaudio said:

This is exactly what I was talking about. ... Sure would kill to find a pair just for their history alone. 

Looks like there might be a pair here--ad posted yesterday: