Recommendations for center to go with Cornwalls

Goathorn

We have a HT system in our relatively large and very open great room. Although the room is challenging (concrete floors and 2 walls of glass doors), we're pretty happy with how the system sounds. The one area that's lacking is the center channel, and looking for suggestions. In short, the Episode passive soundbar we've been using as a center seems to get drowned out by the Cornwalls we use as LRs up front. In our previous home, we were able to use an Academy as a center, which was amazing. However, in our current home, we need a flatter center that we can mount on the wall between the fireplace and TV (about 6" high). Any recommendations? 

6 hours ago, Goathorn said:

Any recommendations? 

Nope.  Your Cornwalls need a matching speaker, not one that's restricted by a small space.

If they're not toed in, give that a try.  They'll present an amazing center image even off center. 

I realize a matching speaker would be ideal, but I need something that will fit into the space I have...so perhaps I should rephrase...Any recommendations for a center that would work better with my Cornwalls than the one I have given my space constraints?  Is there such a thing as a dynamic sounding passive soundbar type of speaker I could use? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goathorn said:

Is there such a thing as a dynamic sounding passive soundbar type of speaker I could use? 

I'd rethink the room and its furniture.   The center channel is the most important loudspeaker in a surround array.  I'd certainly treat it as such.  Make room for another Cornwall and ditch whatever furniture and/or projection screen (if you're using one) that is giving you problems.  You're pushing on the wrong part of the problem, IMO.

Chris

• Like 2

22 hours ago, billybob said:

The Klipsch Academy center channel speaker is the answer.

Welcome to the forum!

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

Hi,

Not the best solution but works good enough for me with my CW fronts.

KLF C7

Thanks

JJ

Guys, in his post he said he needs something to fit in a 6" high space.  There's no center that will fit that bill that will be remotely worth trying to match Cornwall mains. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

Guys, in his post he said he needs something to fit in a 6" high space.  There's no center that will fit that bill that will be remotely worth trying to match Cornwall mains. 

Knew that space is limited. Just wanted to give him a vintage answer that, I believe is correct...thanks.

BTW, there are smaller vintage centers, as you know. Using a

more modern center may work.

Maybe just a plain Jane sound bar

I guess.

Like I said, I used an Academy center with Cornwalls in my previous home...was very satisfied with that. If I would have know we’d use the system in our great room as much as we do, I would have designed it differently. We have the Cornwalls set up to switch to our 2 channel system for vinyl & CDs, and I thought that would be the primary use, so I didn’t put a lot of thought into the center (or rears for that matter).  It’s not our primary system for viewing, but we use it enough to make it worthwhile to try to improve, even if marginally. What about Klipsch G-28? 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 2:23 PM, wuzzzer said:

Just go phantom.  Significantly better than going with a mismatched center.

We used a phantom center for about 10 years, back in the VHS era.  The LF and RF were about 4.5 feet apart, but we were about 7 feet away.  The stereo effect was minimal unless some dialog moved off-screen, but the sound was very good, full, and more spacious than mono.

If the Cornwalls aren't too far apart, phantom should work pretty well.

Right now, we are in a 4,300 cu.ft. room, with Klipschorn LF and RF and a modified Belle Klipsch center, plus surround.  While it is much better (increased clarity, better tonality, dynamics, etc.) most films were almost as absorbing with the old, little system.  With music, no comparison, though.

I experimented with it some over the weekend. I think the Cornwalls may be too far apart for it to work well (about 20ft). At low volumes it was almost as if the dialog drifted around rather than being in the center. I’ll give it more time. 

7 hours ago, bribassguy said:

I am in the same boat... I was thinking about putting a Hersey (KP250) behind a transparent screen? 

That would be a much better match than any horizontal center that Klipsch has ever made. 

I borrowed a Definitive XTR 60 from the system in our kid’s playroom....it’s a more efficient on-wall speaker than the Episode, and has slightly bigger drivers, so I thought it would be a better match to the Cornwalls. My intuition was correct. Definitely a step in the right direction, so much so I could live with it. However, the RP-640D is even more efficient, so I’m going to give that one a try. At some point in the next year or so I’ll be upgrading the TV, and when I do I’ll consider how I might re-work things so can I can use a full-size center. Maybe a niche above the TV that can accommodate a Heresy (angled down)?