ProMedia 5.1 Ultra amp

The BASH amp in my ProMedia 5.1 Ultra finally died today after being replaced in 2008. It makes a high pitched whine, even after I removed all speakers and took it out of the subwoofer. It had been on its way out for a while. It was mostly fine when the computer was on, but made a audible buzz when the computer was off.

Luckily, I have two spare amps, as Klipsch somehow decided to send me two extra when I did my last repair. I installed one of the spares, and everything seems to be good. Is there anything that I can do increase the longevity of new amp? I'm sure that these are getting harder and harder to find as time goes on, so I would like to do what I can prolong the life of my unit. I have heard of the fan mod. Does this help in any significant way? Also, there's a thread about the ProMedia 2.1's saying that turning the system on and off is hard on the amp. Should I leave the system on 24/7? I have always been in the habit of turning it off when I'm done listening.