Favorite Pink Floyd track?

LOWFAT930

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Pretty unique all around.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the tickets were $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. I think my HSBFF and I paid the $4.50 price for front row balcony because they were not on the main floor, which visually and sonically were the best seats in the house. Averaging the results of 2 different inflation calculators, this translates into $25.50 if the bands and promoters were to charge the same prices today. Double that number would be the minimum today by greed.

I paid $75 to see Robin Trower about 2 years ago at the Royal Oak music theater. What pissed me off, was the hundred or so people hanging around the bar behind us drinking and talking during the concert while we sat on cheap metal chairs. RT was excellent playing his old hits with new young guys in his Trio, but I swore this would be the last rock concert I'd ever attend. I much prefer Blue Rays on my Atmos system for $20 or less. The beer is cheaper, weed is legal in Michigan, and I can can pause for a pee without missing a note. I give the "Italian Salute" to live concerts now! LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't want to bring the discussion down, but my favorite PF song is now "Wish You Were Here".

Lost my best friend to cancer last year, a close friend for over 50 years. He had a place way out in the wood that we would go to and listen to music at sometimes very loud levels (4 LSI can do that especially outdoors). We had many favorites and that was one. Our old group still goes out to his place and crank the stereo while sitting by a bonfire. This song for obvious reasons bring us all to tears as we will raise a glass. No one speaks (probably because we can't)

Goose bumps just typing this.

Great song.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the tickets were $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50.

DSOM was 1973   , 16 tracks were used along with loops and tape splicing using tape decks and the infamous  EMS Synthi AKS  synthesiser -the world changed , with the 1st sound engineered record  ...-

4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I don't want to bring the discussion down, but my favorite PF song is now "Wish You Were Here".

Lost my best friend to cancer last year, a close friend for over 50 years. He had a place way out in the wood that we would go to and listen to music at sometimes very loud levels (4 LSI can do that especially outdoors). We had many favorites and that was one. Our old group still goes out to his place and crank the stereo while sitting by a bonfire. This song for obvious reasons bring us all to tears as we will raise a glass. No one speaks (probably because we can't)

Goose bumps just typing this.

Great song.

My fave too. It’s all a time and space thing, where you were when it captured you. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That is a great way to remember your friend for y'all to do that @MookieStl !

Going to do it again in two weeks. We do a few projects on the house to help his kids with the upkeep before kicking back at a bonfire. 

It is an oasis for several of us.

You can almost hear PF playing in the background. We wait for the fire to burn down some before cuing up "Wish You Were Here"!

BF.thumb.JPG.6f85b8a76d42b836e0348d9827174505.JPG

• Like 2

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the tickets were $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. I think my HSBFF and I paid the $4.50 price for front row balcony because they were not on the main floor, which visually and sonically were the best seats in the house. Averaging the results of 2 different inflation calculators, this translates into $25.50 if the bands and promoters were to charge the same prices today. Double that number would be the minimum today by greed.

I paid $75 to see Robin Trower about 2 years ago at the Royal Oak music theater. What pissed me off, was the hundred or so people hanging around the bar behind us drinking and talking during the concert while we sat on cheap metal chairs. RT was excellent playing his old hits with new young guys in his Trio, but I swore this would be the last rock concert I'd ever attend. I much prefer Blue Rays on my Atmos system for $20 or less. The beer is cheaper, weed is legal in Michigan, and I can can pause for a pee without missing a note. I give the "Italian Salute" to live concerts now! LOL.

I totally agree. I just simply can’t afford for my wife and me to go to a live show. I’ll get the Blu Ray and enjoy it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Pink Floyd recorded timeless masterpieces, so I'm happy to keep this thread alive!

Today, I got these two CDs in the mail: "Obscured by Clouds" and "Meddle".

I didn't know that Obscured by Clouds was a movie soundtrack. Although interesting, and good sound quality, there are a few good songs on it, but no classics. My favorite is Meddle, of course, with Echoes: my favorite track lasting 23 minutes (a full side of a vinyl record). Every song on Meddle has something special, while the album still forms a unity.

I first heard both these albums when I was 16 at my brother in law's place, who had them on vinyl, original pressings going back to the seventies, I think. I copied them on cassette tape and I was sold. This was in the late 1980s.

I'm probably crazy buying these on CD while I could equally stream them, but my system's sound quality is best when playing from CD (and vinyl). Could be a trick of the mind though, (don't want to start arguing about this.) I like the tactile side of music too...

If you wonder, the blury cover art of 'Obscured by Clouds' is a photograph of a man climbing in a tree, with the picture taken with the lens out of focus... a nice illustration of 'bokeh' of the lens.

image.png.9012402a85af0f7c5388b132962d4091.png

PSX_20210720_115022.jpg

• Like 1

Pink Floyd recorded timeless masterpieces, so I'm happy to keep this thread alive!
I didn't know that Obscured by Clouds was a movie soundtrack. Although interesting, and good sound quality, there are a few good songs on it, but no classics. My favorite is Meddle, of course, with Echoes: my favorite track lasting 23 minutes (a full side of a vinyl record). Every song on Meddle has something special, while the album still forms a unity.
I first heard both these albums when I was 16 at my brother in law's place, who had them on vinyl, original pressings going back to the seventies, I think. I copied them on cassette tape and I was sold. This was in the late 1980s.
I'm probably crazy buying these on CD while I could equally stream them, but my system's sound quality is best when playing from CD (and vinyl). Could be a trick of the mind though, (don't want to start arguing about this.) I like the tactile side of music too...
If you wonder, the blury cover art of 'Obscured by Clouds' is a photograph of a man climbing in a tree, with the picture taken with the lens out of focus... a nice illustration of 'bokeh' of the lens.

PSX_20210720_115022.thumb.jpg.4c02302820dc2e800aed87a2980ba3ea.jpg

Meddle is definitely my favorite. They had mastered their space rock era. Dark Side Of the Moon was their plunge into madness. I truly love pre DSOTM Pink Floyd.

PSX_20210720_115022.thumb.jpg.4c02302820dc2e800aed87a2980ba3ea.jpg

Meddle is definitely my favorite. They had mastered their space rock era. Dark Side Of the Moon was their plunge into madness. I truly love pre DSOTM Pink Floyd. My favorite track is Echoes .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Such  a difficult choice to make but 'The Lunatic' was the first to come to mind

I bought my klipschorns because of a demo of Darkside of the Moon on Khorns - made my pants legs move from the bass, I was sold.

• Like 1

Animals followed closely by WYWH. In fact, I chose Welcome to the Machine as a track I'll use in my upcoming A/B comparison of Cornwall vs LaScalla. I think it's a perfect song in the genre to test.

I first saw Floyd in concert as a teen in NYC in 1977 Animals tour where in addition to performing the whole of Animals and WYWH, they went through half of Dark Side. Next was The Wall tour in early '80s, and finally their last one in the 90s. Also saw Roger Waters concerts several occasions. Very professional production but mush too political which distracted from the actual music.

• 1 month later...