BAR 48 subwoofer power supply fix

nova

Has anyone had an experience fixing a power supply from the BAR 48 subwoofer? It clicks every 5 sec, output is jumping simultaneously from around 0 to around 3v. VDD is also jumping up to 14v and dropping back down. It looks like it tries to start but something is triggering protection on OB5269. I've changed OB5269 - no effect. Diodes look good, pulled out FET and checked - looks good as well. Capacitors look good. Nothing is visibly burned. I couldn't find any info on that power supply, even the output voltage.

top.png.90f08aa80600c0c630f2bb28a3daf654.png

bottom.png.fe1685dfdf09a907e8f75250e8c23316.png

Edited by nova

@nova

My BAR 48 is still under warranty so I haven't explored any drastic measures. Of course, Klipsch tech support remains mum on the types of issues owners are experiencing let alone the cause.

Up until now we have assumed most of our issues are firmware related so I find your post most interesting. I have asked tech support if some of the issues I have reported may be related to hardware defects and if there have been any hardware revisions but so far they have been ignoring me! 😣

Based on voltage divider values the output should be 32 volts. The problem is there isn't much readily available 32 volts and 2.5 amps switching PCBs on eBay or AE. It looks like the only option is to replace everything concerning on the board.

1 hour ago, nova said:

It looks like the only option is to replace everything concerning on the board.

Like I said,

9 hours ago, KevinB said:

My BAR 48 is still under warranty so I haven't explored any drastic measures. 

Have you considered just asking Klipsch for a warranty replacement?

14 hours ago, nova said:

I'm not under a warranty, unfortunately.

Considering how many issues this product has and how dissatisfied owners are, Klipsch has to be aware how this product is impacting their reputation. It may be worth your effort to ask for a replacement and see if they are willing to do something.

Maybe they would be willing to send you a replacement board...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, nova said:

It was fried IC5 (431 zener). Sub is up and running again.

I've contacted Klipsch support about the power supply board. Let's see what will be their answer.

I have replaced 3 power boards on the 3 sound bar's and was successful.

Now I have one of the the three subwoofers not powering up.

I ordered the IC5 431 Zener and will replace soon.

I will keep you posted.

Edited by ralphkramden25

On 3/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, ralphkramden25 said:

I have replaced 3 power boards on the 3 sound bar's and was successful.

Now I have one of the the three subwoofers not powering up.

I ordered the IC5 431 Zener and will replace soon.

I will keep you posted.

IC5 was not the power problem. I will have to actually get a meter out and see what's going on. if there is any more information on this power board I would appreciate it!!

• 7 months later...

Wow!  You guys rock!  My bar48 quit working. After reading this blog, I figured I had nothing to lose. The bar was out of warranty and the most I could loose was $15. I ordered the PS from Amazon. While I was waiting for it, I opened the bar and began removing the PS. It was not only bolted on, it was glued. I scored the glue with a sharp blade, removed the mounting brackets and patiently pried it loose after noting where everything was connected. The new board is smaller so I reused the brackets and one bolt. Then used a few dabs of hot glue to snug it up. The worst part was putting everything back to

where I could put the screws back in. I was a little too forceful and pulled the AC wires loose. Everything inside is wrapped in sticky foam rubber. I removed as much as I could without getting too obsessed and used a wooden tongue  depressor to tuck wires between the speakers and the side of the enclosure. It went in much easier the second time. After resetting to factory default I retrieved the current firmware and loaded it. Micro circuits are not in my skillset but following what I read here was more than sufficient to have a good outcome. Thanks to everyone here. 
Mike in Maryland

• Like 1