Convert to passive or get amp rebuilt?

On 6/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, finallygotmyheresies said:

Just curious to hear any opinions about whether I should convert my RT-10d to a passive sub and run it with a iNuke NU3000 I already have or should I send the amp off to get rebuilt? Total investment of the amp rebuild will be less than $200. 

If you really like the sub then go with the iNuke.  It won't cost you a penny to try it as you already have it.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, finallygotmyheresies said:

Just curious to hear any opinions about whether I should convert my RT-10d to a passive sub and run it with a iNuke NU3000 I already have or should I send the amp off to get rebuilt? Total investment of the amp rebuild will be less than $200. 

contact @ngen33r here for the lowest price repair of these subs.  he does great work & pretty fast turnaround times. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, finallygotmyheresies said:

second the a iNuke NU3000

11 hours ago, cdx304 said:

I would not bother repairing the plate amp .The amps are week and will never last a long time .Run the behringer amp 

curious why you say the amps will never last a long time?  the reason these amps & many other mass produced amps fail has been identified & when they are repaired they should last for a very, very long time.  when repaired they get all new quality caps & the notorious bad glue that usually causes the failures is removed & replaced with a non conductive silicone. 

& arent the amps matched to the speakers power level?  i wouldnt call 350 watts rms "weak"...  for the ~$125 price of repair theres no reason not to repair the amp & retain the digital functions of the sub as well as resale value.     

The plate amp in my sub 10 is dead and i cave up trying to get it fixed because i see to many problems and klipsch no longer makes the sub 10 plate amp and nobody wanted to fix it .I now drive the sub with a 1700 watt amp and when the sub goes up in smoke it will find the garbage bin .

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 6/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

curious why you say the amps will never last a long time?  the reason these amps & many other mass produced amps fail has been identified & when they are repaired they should last for a very, very long time.  when repaired they get all new quality caps & the notorious bad glue that usually causes the failures is removed & replaced with a non conductive silicone.

They can last a long time, but if were to bet, I would guess a stand alone amp will last longer. Just me.

If I had one of those and the amp died I would use the outboard amp to power the sub and just leave the dead one there to fill that space. Me I wouldn't go passive.

6 hours ago, dtel said:

If I had one of those and the amp died I would use the outboard amp to power the sub and just leave the dead one there to fill that space. Me I wouldn't go passive.

The first sentence describes going passive.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

& arent the amps matched to the speakers power level?  i wouldnt call 350 watts rms "weak"...  for the ~$125 price of repair theres no reason not to repair the amp & retain the digital functions of the sub as well as resale value.     

The inside of the cabinet is a harsh environment for an amplifier but i agree, value plummets not having the OE amplifier. Nobody wants them, parts value really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jason str said:

The inside of the cabinet is a harsh environment for an amplifier but i agree, value plummets not having the OE amplifier. Nobody wants them, parts value really.

fully agree the inside of a sub is a very harsh environment & contributes to shorter amp life.  but for these klipsch subs & many other brand subs & powered speakers as well as some brands of older separate amps, the cause of failure most times is related to the glue they used becoming conductive & shorting out items on the board &/or cheap china made boards &/or cheap capacitors bulging & going bad.  

If you know the EQ applied by the built-in amp (or can test to find out), replicate it with an outboard amp.  If not, fix the one you have.  After it's fixed, you'd be able to sell and replace it. 

I looked at the plate amp up close and the thing is poorly made and lucky it would last a year if the sub would used the way i use mine any of the 10 i have in different systems i own .I am in house so don't care about any of my ******* neighbors .Lowest power i have running to a set of subs is 1500 watts on 240 volts 

• Moderators
On 6/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, CECAA850 said:
On 6/25/2020 at 1:24 AM, dtel said:

The first sentence describes going passive.

I was thinking passive as powered by the receiver no separate amp, in line like another speaker.  They used to have those and they pretty much sucked

On 6/17/2020 at 11:29 PM, cdx304 said:

I would not bother repairing the plate amp .The amps are week and will never last a long time .Run the behringer amp 

Totally agree with this -----an external amp is the way to go -take out the weak link  and forget the problem