Forte Score - $29 - Goodwill of Santa Fe, NM

• 9 months later...

I am back. I changed the capacitors in my forte's crossover. They do sound better than earlier to my ears.

Meanwhile I got Altec barcelona speakers. Sorry, but these altec's sound a lot better than Fortes, maybe because these are bigger and heavier.

And this time I did not have to pay a dime for speakers, Just a lot of labor to move them to my house.

Apologies but the fortes have been stored in my bedroom closet.

Thanks
Ganesh

IMG_3397.JPEG

IMG_3400.JPEG

• Like 1

Scored a mint pair of Klipsch forte 1 in Santa Fe, NM goodwill store. $29 for the pair. Mint condition.

They sound amazing as it is. After reading thru the forums, seems like I need to change the capacitors.So ordered the solen 1.5u and 1.0u 630 caps and Elna Bipolar 47u 100v cap.

But when I opened the speaker binding plate there is no PCB (i think i saw pcb on a post here who recapped the crossover in forte 1 ). Now I need to somew how cram the new capacitors.

But what a steal.

Thanks
Ganesh 

61222337704__9460B141-9A20-4A63-87F4-4352259931E8.thumb.JPG.593188c790dce661729b0863beca625a.JPG
IMG_2771.thumb.jpg.3c05071f723f8a40907944c9e9301dc7.jpg
IMG_2772.thumb.jpg.910ca4796e9dd4841818d7e15412c023.jpg

If they sound amazing, why do you think you need capacitors? Don’t be audiophooled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Congratulations on the Altec Barcelona score.  Of course they sound better than Forte’s.  They’re larger, heavier, and were more expensive, plus Altec made good products.  Some more details regarding your acquisition of the Altecs would be appreciated.

• Like 1

My friend had them in AZ. He gifted them to me knowing how much I like vintage speakers. These sound really nice with another $20 goodwill find 1979 Hitachi SR-604 (class G or dynaharmony) receiver. There is a gentleman in my town who said that I should disconnect the horn drivers on Barcelona (he thinks they burn ears if you listen them for too long). Personally I did not experience it.  He then suggested that I only use the 15" LF driver from Barcelona and the cabinet, then add JBL 2123h mid range and JBL 2405h slot tweeters and buy old crown d-45, d-75a and d150a amplifiers and an active crossover and make a tri-amp system (or add one more jbl compression driver and another amplifier and make a quad-amp thingy). I am reading on google about these, seems very complicated to me. The other option would be to hire this gentleman and pay him to configure the tri-amp stuff.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Personally, I would ignore his advice.  You like the way they sound.  IMO, enjoy them as they are or sell them to your neighbor and let him knock himself out.  Do not let him experiment with your speakers and your money.

He took the words out of my mouth but he was much more eloquent.

• Like 1