External Amp for RP 450c and RP 250Fs - Worth it?

Treyurith

Hi All. Can I ask what you all think of getting an external amp for the config below.

Receiver
Denon X3300W 

5.1.2 system
Fronts Klipsch 250Fs
Centre Klipsch 450C
Surrounds Klipsh 402S
Front Upfiring Atmos-  2 Klipsch 500SA
Sub - 1 only - SVS SB-2000

Room Size
3000 cubic feet but adjacent to an open air kitchen

I usually use this for movie watching all kinds from UHD blu rays to  4k netflix and amazon prime. And also for spotify premium. Have a PS4 and a blu ray player connected.

Room correction with Denon's Audyssey

I sometimes feel that in action sequences, the stage is not that clear. Dialogue is muddled. When watching gravity, dialogue gets lost during the action sequences. Its definitely better when I had a smaller centre (the 450c is an upgrade) but wondering if an external amp would help.

If I had an external amp for at least the Front's and centre, would I feel the difference or am I just wasting money given that I understand Klipsch speakers do not need much power. Also could I still do audyssey room correction with an external amp?

Finally what would you recommend. Was looking at Outlaw 5000 to power LFC and surrounds and keep the Atmos speakers to the Denon.

Looking for your wisdom! Thank you very much
  • Thanks 1

i have a similar system, to yours. My 450C & 2- 280F’s, 2-250S’s, & 2-svsSB-2000 sounded good with just my denon 6400h AVR powering them, but my system sounds 10 times better, in my opinion, after i added a power amp (Sunfire 5-Cinema Grand). The overall sound was night & day for me. If you add a power amp & buy new, you usually get a 30-day trial/window to test out, & if you find a used power amp, try auditioning it, if possible. 

Goodluck man 

• Thanks 1

I have the ProMedia 5.1 system (just purchased) and the Right Rear output is not working. I am thinking the speaker control board went out. Anyone know where I can replace this board (which is one of 5), not the main board?

Thank you in advance-

suzeeqqq@hotmail.com

Edited by Suzeeqqq

Thank you so much all for your input. Think that settles it for me, and I will get one.

Now comes the challenging part of getting one appropriate to the system. Thinking of the outlaw audio 5000. Will keep looking.

Do you guys also believe in getting an amp which gives you fifty percent more power per channel than your speaker supports?

5 hours ago, Treyurith said:

Thinking of the outlaw audio 5000.

If you want new on the cheap(not cheaply made), the the Outlaw is an excellent choice.

5 hours ago, Treyurith said:

Do you guys also believe in getting an amp which gives you fifty percent more power per channel than your speaker supports?

Seriously, I don't think that really matters a whole lot.   Quality of amplification matters more than the power numbers.

Now with all that said, going bigger with your left/right mains may be a more immediate improvement than going the amplifier route in your 3000+++ cu ft room.  I know that may seem contradictory coming from such an amplifier proponent as I am, but the bigger/better speaker route would be my first change.  It was when I went from Quintet IIIs to RVX-42s to RB-35s to my current RF-63s.  The amp route came soon after going to 63s and was a huge improvement over just my midlevel Onkyo TX-SR705.

Bill

@willland thank you very much for the advice.

Yeah I would love to upgrade my speakers but they being just a few years old, might have to hold off a bit. If I may ask, given that my whole series is in the RP line, if I do upgrade piecemeal to other lines, would there be issues matching?

For example if I replace my RP-240Fs with RP-280Fs vs RF7s or even a heritage bran - Is the very important to keep within the series?

37 minutes ago, Treyurith said:

If I may ask, given that my whole series is in the RP line, if I do upgrade piecemeal to other lines, would there be issues matching?

For example if I replace my RP-240Fs with RP-280Fs vs RF7s or even a heritage bran - Is the very important to keep within the series?

If were me, I would stay within the RP line.  Say you switched to the RF-7IIIs, then I would highly suggest you also switch to the RC-64III center.  At least match the front soundstage.

Bill