Will my Corner Horns ever need to have the woofers re-foamed?

I have a pair of corner horns that are at least 30 years old as an estimate.  Recently when wanting to sell an old pair of 1980s vintage Pioneer HPM900s I took the covers off to take a picture and noticed the foam around the edges of the woofers in places had degraded away and it made me wonder if my Klipsch's have suffered the same fate.  If probable how the heck do I get at them and is there a kit for that? A second question is should components in the crossover network be replaced after a certain age?  I'm now retired and finally have time to enjoy my 600 plus albums and 1,000 plus CDs but I'm worried my K-Horns might not be in the best shape for optimum listening enjoyment. Thanks for your help.  Regards, Russ Holm, Austin, TX

• Like 1

• Moderators

On the crossover update/refresh if you are a DIY type of guy there are many who can help you on here as what to do.

If you are not, and want to keep your Khorns original here is the Klipsch  authorized dealer who update them for you.

For crossovers that we may no longer have available, you may be able to get them repaired through one of our authorized Heritage Dealers:

JEM PERFORMANCE AUDIO

(412) 401-6915
https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

499 Limestone Dr
Bethel Park, PA 15102 United States

.Your premise on the woofers is wrong.  The surrounds aren't foam....but rather paper/cloth....something other.  

Unless they get ripped or something from hard use or (????) they ought to be ok.  What you will usually hear someone recommend is taking them off and rotating them 180 degrees.  I've had my LaScalas since 1979 and the woofers are still fine.

• Like 3

Welcome!

The woofers should be fine...

Would listen to the speakers.for a bit and then, with help here you can replace the capacitors your self or others can for you. What crossover do you have now?

A pic of the crossovers may be

helpful. Congrats!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your comments and for setting me straight on the woofers.  To be honest, I haven't given them much use in the last 25 years. I traveled a lot for my job and fell victim to the convenience of the MP3 trap. My DIY efforts have historically resulted mostly in destruction as opposed to making something better but I can handle a screwdriver and wire cutters with reasonable competency.  Concerning the crossover network, attached in a PDF are pictures of both speakers along with the Klipsch labels which I see now are faded and stained.  I'm already indebted to you all but would appreciate further comments and recommendations - thank you! Regards, Russ Holm, Austin, TX

Klipsch - Russ Holm.pdf

• Like 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome!

The woofers should be fine...

Would listen to the speakers.for a bit and then, with help here you can replace the capacitors your self or others can for you. What crossover do you have now?

A pic of the crossovers may be

helpful. Congrats!

He has the AA Crossovers based on the photos in the pdf he attached.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Any thoughts?

Going to stick with the little bit I said as, there are more informed here than me. Going to look at his AA's though, think that part is nice... thanks.

If no leaking fluid - does that mean they're OK?  What happens over time - does the sound lose its distinction at the crossover frequencies because it becomes muddled? How does "wear" manifest itself in speaker sound? If only a trained Klipsch sound engineer (I just made that up) can tell the difference then maybe it's not that big a deal but if there's signficant sound quality improvement to be had then it seems worth pursuing.

• Like 1

If no leak, just a good thing for safeties same as understand there are chemical PCB's present in the fluid.

Have you listened to them?

If happy with sound , no immediate need for recap, although others will say to do a refresh with new caps. If sounds muddled, then would say yes. The older caps

can drift out of spec over time.

26 minutes ago, russelldholm said:

If no leaking fluid - does that mean they're OK?  What happens over time - does the sound lose its distinction at the crossover frequencies because it becomes muddled? How does "wear" manifest itself in speaker sound? If only a trained Klipsch sound engineer (I just made that up) can tell the difference then maybe it's not that big a deal but if there's signficant sound quality improvement to be had then it seems worth pursuing.

-your KHORN speakers were made in 1976   they are 44  years old , and , yes ,they are almost 45 years old ---

it is time to get the capacitors replaced with newer ones ,  the  changes should make a difference in the sound , as long as the woofers , mids and tweeters are not defective in any way which can be tested very easily with an Ohmmeter ------woofers are 8ohms , mids 16 ohms , tweeters 8 ohms -

1 hour ago, russelldholm said:

Austin, TX

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, just 5 words.

Jubilees.....

5 words?

Someone had to say it.  (notice that comment is 5 words!!)

1            2    3   4   5

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, russelldholm said:

Can I check the resistance right on the screw terminals or should I disconnect first? Are the caps the 3 cans in the center - 2 the same size?

disconnect the wires for the woofer - mids and tweeter , one by one ----CHECK the DCR --------screw back in ------check thr next driver and so on -   write  the DCR on a sheet  and post the results  -we'll tell you if they are ok    ------woofer is 8ohms - mids 16 ohms - tweeter 8ohms

1 hour ago, russelldholm said:

Can I check the resistance right on the screw terminals or should I disconnect first? Are the caps the 3 cans in the center - 2 the same size?

You should disconnect at least one side to get a good reading.  Expect the woofer to show near 3.2 ohms, the squawker to show about 11.6 and the tweeter to show 7.2-ish DC resistance.  But really, it they are all playing, without distortion, they are good. 

Capacitors don't wear, but their internal resistance and capacitance may change from chemical changes with time.  Thirty years has been the age when the caps usually become suspect, though I had a 52 y.o. Heresy that did not need new caps.  Those old ones were never all that great, compared to modern designs with better materials available, now.  If they need replacement, the khorns will sound polite, recessed or distant instead of forward, out in the room and bold.  Klipsch are rarely (never) reserved sounding.  Replacement in kind is not hard, if you can solder.  You will want to use a good to excellent film and foil capacitor.  They will not be cheap.  Metalized film caps are adequate in some places, but you have the Flagship and I would recommend against metalized. 

• Like 1