Xilica issues or, my stupidity!!??

Coytee

I've got someone interested in maybe buying a preamp that I have and not being used.

Told her I'd try to get it pulled out today and make sure that it works like it did when I parked it.  (I always hate it when someone is selling something and says "worked fine when last used" or something like that)

It's going to be a bit of a project because I don't have easy access to wires, no space for it, no extra amps or CD players laying about......but I start in on it.

Find some patch cords, power cord, patch it into existing CD player, power...  pull the two inputs OUT of the Xilica so I can put the inputs from here into it.

One channel is dead.

Uh oh.....I'm glad I looked.

I mix/match some wires, pull out my meter to check for continuity....  ultimately, I decide everything is plugged in properly....heck, I even notice that BOTH my inputs on the Xilica are lighting......however, the right (output) channel is dead.

So cutting to some chase, it seems everything is directed to "Input 1" and nothing is going to Input 2.  Nice, I figured it out.  So I'm trying (in vain) to associate outputs 3&4 with Input 2.  No matter what I've tried, everything is tied to input 1.

The light on input 2 DOES blink as it should with signal.  Mating that with the swapping of the wires to know factually I have signal leaving both channels of the preamp, I'm left to conclude that I've something mis-wired (directed) inside the Xilica.

My wife got rid of her laptop so I'm forced to use the front input panel ONLY which really stinks, I don't like that interface.

So, when I go into edit mode, I have:

Source 1 => Target 1. Target 2

Source 2 => Target 3, Target 4

Where targets 1/3 are the K402 and targets 2/4 are the bass bins.

I'm GETTING some blinking input lights on Source 2 however, I can mute anything related to Source 2 and nothing happens.  Both channels keep playing.

Both channels are still steered to Source 1.

So what am I doing wrong??!!

Side comment:  When I swap outputs on the preamp (effectively changing inputs on the active) Channel 1 controls everything.  If I mute input 2, nothing happens, mute input 1 and everything goes quiet.

So my issue seems to be how to split the inputs and let my second wire in fact, become Input 2 and pull outputs 3-4 from it.

(no, I have no idea what I did to cause this....)

Oh, second side comment......when I flip output channels on the preamp, the OTHER gain on the preamp controls the sound.

So I know the preamp is working fine, I know it's putting out on both channels as each gain will control the sound as long as Input 1 isn't muted.

9 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Oh, second side comment......when I flip output channels, the OTHER gain on the preamp controls the sound.

So I know the preamp is working fine, I know it's putting out on both channels as each gain will control the sound as long as Input 1 isn't muted.

did you try  to reset the Xilica  settings and  re-start from square 1 ---

Detest because again, I'm using the front panel, it's located above my head a little and it really starts to annoy my shoulders (one has had surgery, other was broken (arm AT the shoulder) a couple years ago so I don't have the limberness I once had for over head projects)

I actually started to go get one of my (2) EV Dx38's which are still in the closet.  Decided not to because of all the wires I'd have to move around, it won't fit into rack and it would create a very large annoyance to do so....  so I shut the closet door.

Heh, that's got some humor in it (unknown to you)

My wife detests wires, electronics....  anything that's not a flower in a pot.....

So my PC has all the wires woven through the underside of the desk where the wires are actually zip tied down to stay in place and out of the way.

So yeah....  I have one but I'd rather do the two hour round trip drive to borrow the laptop she gave to her sister (what I used to use for this).

6 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

You have a pc in the house? Hook it up over the ethernet and program it. 

HOWEVER, you made me remember that I "should" (and found it) have a wire that will literally just barely reach this PC (I have to move the monitor backwards about 3 inches to edge of desk so it can plug into backside of monitor.

I might be in business!!!

Fooling with it now.

• Like 1

Got it!!!

I have no idea where it's located on the front panel but in the software, I had input 2 muted and things steered to Input 1.  I have no idea why where I was wouldn't fix it but all seems well now and the Preamp is working properly with the right/left gains doing their job correctly.

Thanks!

• Like 2

On the front panel you can push the mute light and it will unmute or mute, depending on what the state was before you pushed the LED. As I recall...when you have a blinking LED it means that input/output is in edit mode currently. I found this out when using the PC software. I also dislike the navigation via front panel.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

None of the front lights were on mute.  There were no exterior indications that anything was mis-directed or muted.

When I fiddled around with the (annoying) input panel, I still couldn't get the signals re-directed.

It required going into the software and doing it there.

It's surely possible that I simply missed it (other than an exterior indication) and wiffed on it.  But.....  it's all working correctly now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

No...  I really detest the idea of programming each output channel with the PEQ's.

that would be my last resort.

I might add that in the end, I had to reconfigure the output channels.

It's quite possible that in my fumbling, I perhaps did hit a reset.....but that still doesn't explain all outputs being steered to input 1.

Perplexing but, it's working now so I shrug it off!

• Like 1