Do You Listen to the Music or the Equipment?

Ceptorman

Test video 

Sounded fantastic live , recording not so much . Stacked a couple of tables with sound absorbing micro fibre towels between the 2 . 3 couch cushions placed around said tables and a weighted blanket over everything except where the mount is .  Suction cup mount for my iPhone , press play . 

Big and airy in the room , recorded sound is meh . 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Sorry to hear about Yago. I thought they lived a long time 20 -30 years? Some even longer?

He was pretty elderly when that picture was taken 36 years ago, but no one could estimate how old he was.  The breeder estimated 40-50 years looking at his feet.  He lived almost 10 years from that point, most with my parents after I married and started a family.  Little fingers don't mix. 

I also took a hiatus from hi-fi for 22 years until "empty nested" again, when I found this forum and Jubilees, working on my system until the sound became satisfying.  It only took 12 1/2 years to get there.  Now I turn it on and listen without thinking about the equipment, etc.  My goal was always to listen to music like it was being played live. Since last year, I've been collecting more higher quality multichannel music discs since finding out how to move SACD, DVD-A and BD music to FLAC and archiving the disc (that disc collection of which is outgrowing my present disc storage space--which I'll have to address).  Not much tinkering now--just listening and helping others get to their sonic nirvana.

Chris

• Like 1

13 hours ago, garyrc said:

The dichotomy may be false.  I listen to the music, including, of course, all of the beautiful overtones that make up the timbre of each separate instrument, and the dynamics, etc., all of which depend on the quality and idiosyncrasies of the equipment.

Agree, it’s not just music or equipment.  There’s also the quality of the source that can make magic. But then, it takes good equipment (and hopefully good music) to appreciate that too.  A lot is mood dependent also - I can be blown away by fuzzy AM reception of an old familiar (not necessarily good) piece of music on a long stretch of lonely highway.

• Like 2

This is a very interesting question with no simple answer from me. I spend much more time searching for music and making playlists and buying vinyl than I do setting up my music systems. I LOVE music and hearing it on great equipment is very rewarding. Sometimes I am very into the music and my equipment just draws me into it deeper and sometimes I want to play a test track that shows me how good my setup sounds. No reason it has to be either or since music and great audio gear go together well.

Like Tarheel I too sometimes like a sandwich.

26 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

I’m thinking music but equipment is in there as I have become addicted to vacuum tubes, about 4 years ago.

Im addicted to the sound of vacuum tubes too - had never even heard one until about 6 months ago and I love my Primaluna Integrated tube masterpiece.. I have not rolled tubes yet but getting the itch to drop in some GOLD LION KT77 / EL34 - but I need 8 of them - OUCH!!!!!! Dont need to change the tubes that came with my EVO400 but it sounds like it could be fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fido said:

I have not rolled tubes yet but getting the itch to drop in some GOLD LION KT77 / EL34 - but I need 8 of them - OUCH!!!!!!

I’m friends with a McIntosh dealer in Knoxville TN and went down the vintage path. Have a pair of MC30’s and an MC240 and then tube rolled, amazing the differences that can be had. Found the vintage 50’s and 60’s tubes from Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, and RCA are just amazing especially in detail and soundstage. Enjoy the rolling!

On 6/7/2020 at 5:34 AM, Chris A said:

Since last year, I've been collecting more higher quality multichannel music discs since finding out how to move SACD, DVD-A and BD music to FLAC and archiving the disc (that disc collection of which is outgrowing my present disc storage space--which I'll have to address).  Not much tinkering now--just listening and helping others get to their sonic nirvana.

Chris

CHRIS,

I am interested in possibly purchasing some of your 'hoarded' DISCs, once you have De-Mastered them

PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE , let me know what you may consider letting go of. 

~Rock on, brotha Chris

-Craig LeMAY-

{Born2Rock@Comcast.net}