Plantar fasciitis, how can I get rid of it!

JL Sargent

Plantar fasciitis sucks. Custom made orthotics and daily stretching of key muscles will do the trick (did for me).

Every morning I start the day rolling my arches on a tennis ball and a foot roller to loosen things up. It helps.

I found that long distance runners deal with it a lot. In my case it was from years of jumping off of heavy equipment as well as jumping into trenches. Being overweight is what really pushed me over the edge. All good now....thank God.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All good ideas. Carl, of course I should go to the doc, but who wants to do that? :) This has happened from being overweight and jumping off heavy equipment and climbing on and off industrial machines at work. I'm gonna try that stretching idea and make sure there's magnesium in my one a days.

I've had this a few times over the course of 30 years of running.  Sometimes it lasts almost a year.  Never went to a doctor - maybe it helps - not sure.  Here's what worked for me:  1) Don't walk around the house in bare feet.  2) As often as you can, massage the front of your heel (you know where the spot is) as hard as you can with your thumb until it stops hurting. 3) Get these (or something similar) to support your arch and cup your heel:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045E5KCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  4) this can also help under a sock or at night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WOPQC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  5) ibuprofen  6) do the toe-clench exercise until you can hold it for like 10 seconds without cramping up.  good luck.

• Like 2

I have been dealing with it for a year or two now.    Got a couple shots in my heel and that helped a bit, but it always came back.    I have a pretty high arch and the only relief I would get is put supports in my shoes.  

These are worth their weight in gold. I buy two pair at a time and a pair last about 6 months for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S8XYAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These shoes are killer too.  Lightweight. water friendly and extremely comfortable removable sole insert.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F5RRKQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shoes and inserts are what kept me going and I had to wear them everywhere for about 6 months before I could go back to a Bus Casual loafer.

• Like 1

I had it a few years ago. I went to a running shoe store and asked about a good insole inserts. They watched me walk, then told me to get some  powerstep pulse insole inserts. Two days wearing them I was fine. Save some cash this way. I still use them.

2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I've had this a few times over the course of 30 years of running.  Sometimes it lasts almost a year.  Never went to a doctor - maybe it helps - not sure.  Here's what worked for me:  1) Don't walk around the house in bare feet.  2) As often as you can, massage the front of your heel (you know where the spot is) as hard as you can with your thumb until it stops hurting. 3) Get these (or something similar) to support your arch and cup your heel:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045E5KCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  4) this can also help under a sock or at night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WOPQC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  5) ibuprofen  6) do the toe-clench exercise until you can hold it for like 10 seconds without cramping up.  good luck.

I had a bout with it a long time ago and it was terrible.  I did everything that pbphoto did after living with it for several weeks.  It went away within a couple weeks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

All good ideas. Carl, of course I should go to the doc, but who wants to do that? :) This has happened from being overweight and jumping off heavy equipment and climbing on and off industrial machines at work. I'm gonna try that stretching idea and make sure there's magnesium in my one a days.

I tried everything above but everything was temporary.   I played soccer for 38 years and ran constantly.  Getting out of bed in the morning was excruciating.    Custom orthotics were the only permanent solution for me.   Shots are temporary relief and painful to get.  Generic orthotics work if you're lucky. 

• Like 1

May want to try Blue-Emu. i have a bad shoulder from way to many sports, was waking up constantly at night. A friend gave me some and it helped alot.Told my mother in law about it when she uses it her PF doesnt bother her, my father in law has a sciatic problem and it helped him too. Its just a topical cream you put on  and is sold over the counter.

• Like 1

The worst "injury" I ever sustained.  It took close to 8 months for mine to fully heel.

Wear the boot to sleep in.

Roll heal and arch on golf ball or tennis ball.

Stretch(carefully) before stepping off bed.

Calf raises.

corticosteroid injection(super painful but does help)--podiatrist will probably cap that at 2 max injections and at least 2 weeks apart.

Quality arch supports

Bill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, willland said:

The worst "injury" I ever sustained.  It took close to 8 months for mine to fully heel.

Mine is so bad you can actually see the tendon pulling a section of bone loose where it attaches in a x-ray.

• Like 1

Both my wife and I had it. See a podiatrist! As the others have said, exercise and orthotic inserts. Stay away from the shots if you can. We used a frozen metal can rather than a ball, sometimes for some people cold is better on the foot. Our costs were fully covered by health insurance so we each have two sets of inserts and try to wear them in inside shoes as well as outdoor shoes.

• Like 1

About 4 years or so ago I got it, first in my left foot and then in both, I feel your pain!

I never went to the doctor either, just the internet doctor... Dr. Google. 🤓

I did a lot of what bpphoto and other have suggested, but it still took the better part of a year to go away.

The only footwear I could walk in for months was Birkinstock sandles, I eventually got a pair of Birkinstock

inserts for my softball turf shoes.

The best thing I did was change my daily footwear exclusively to Asics, Nimbus.

If you can get away with a running shoe for work, your feet will thank you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

Stay away from the shots if you can.

I should have said that as a last resort.

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

We used a frozen metal can rather than a ball, sometimes for some people cold is better on the foot.

Forgot about that.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HPower said:

I never went to the doctor

The first time I went to a podiatrist I was blown away.  I had been fighting pain for well over a year.  It was excruciating when I first stepped on it when I got out of bed in the morning but got tolerable throughout the day.  I waited so long to go to the Dr that it was pretty painful 24/7.  I talked with the doc and told me what it was doing.  He took athletic trainers tape and taped my arch and heel up.  When I stood on it with the tape in place the pain was completely gone, I couldn't believe it.  One week later they fitted me for orthotics and the pain has been completely gone ever since till about a year ago.  I had to get fitted for new orthotics as the old ones had settled and my foot had changed in the 20 years or so since my first fitting.

• Like 1

The podiatrist now have these digital scanners for your feet.  The orthotics then are very specifically made to fit your foot.  I think it took a week of the cold metal (I think it was tequila bottle) rolling, exercises and wearing the orthotics and I was fine.  Have been ever since.  I am not good about doing the exercises, but wearing the inserts is easy and that seems to have cured me.  Wife still thinks the metal bottle is fun... I think she's nipping a bit of tequila as self-medications.

• Like 2