What is with Ebay lately????

ClaudeJ1

50 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They charge sales TAX on USED STUFF, which is the government's fault, but why is it so hard to find a way to cancel a sale? Can't we change our minds?

Contact the seller they can cancel the transaction on their end shouldn't be a problem.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Contact the seller they can cancel the transaction on their end shouldn't be a problem.

I was the seller, but even their on line help couldn't do it. I think there's a 12 hour countdown clock. Been on Ebay with 100 rating for 22 years, but it's been a while since I sold stuff there, or tried to. Yeah the TAX thing is a real pisser when you buy...............like what they do for used cars in Michigan for each successive buyer. I don't know about other states.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They charge sales TAX on USED STUFF, which is the government's fault, but why is it so hard to find a way to cancel a sale? Can't we change our minds?

you have the right to cancel the sale ,  but the delay is within one hour only ------and once the hour is expired , you can ask the seller to cancel the sale if he has not shipped the item out -

Just now, RandyH said:

you have the right to cancel the sale ,  but the delay is within one hour only ------and once the hour is expired , you can ask the seller to cancel the sale if he has not shipped the item out -

I didn't make clear enough................I'm the SELLER.

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

then cancel the transaction and refund the buyer  , they can't force you to sell anything ----and yes , you have the right to change your mind ,  and that happens more often than you think , let me give you an example ,- a seller had an auction , and I win , a great deal , but the seller cancels the sale ,  nothing I could do about it ---he refunds me , and says the item is no longer available ------

12 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I thought they charged the sales tax , only  to the buyer and not to the seller as well , am I wrong ------

1 minute ago, RandyH said:

I thought they charged the sales tax , only  to the buyer and not to the seller as well , am I wrong ------

It is added to the final fee. What I am waiting to see is how much of this collected tax money gets to the states it was ostensibly charged for. I know I am not paying twice if the question comes up. Go see EBay and here is what they took on your behalf.

Learning to do a search for the exact EBay listing can many times find it locally listed where there are no sales tax fees nor EBay fees. All things considered though EBay has great exposure and is far cheaper than opening up your own store. I just hate seeing the tax thing more than any other fee junk.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, Dave A said:

It is added to the final fee. What I am waiting to see is how much of this collected tax money gets to the states it was ostensibly charged for. I know I am not paying twice if the question comes up. Go see EBay and here is what they took on your behalf.

Learning to do a search for the exact EBay listing can many times find it locally listed where there are no sales tax fees nor EBay fees. All things considered though EBay has great exposure and is far cheaper than opening up your own store. I just hate seeing the tax thing more than any other fee junk.

For NYS  , for our County it's close to 9% sales tax -and it applies to all sales across the USA-

F eBay is what I say
eBay has gone to the dogs for sellers
The seller has no rights any longer
If you sell something and then the buyer can send it back in any condition. Even if they take a hammer to it and break it to peace’s
They send it back to you ( and seller pays return shipping cost) then seller sees that it’s all broken up. Seller still has to refund the sale price and the cost of all shipping
It’s true and it’s BS that eBay does this to sellers
eBay has told me that as long as the buyer returns the item back in ANY condition, they get their refund. No if’s or but’s about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

I don’t think it’s eBay to blame for the tax.

I am actually surprised it took this long for the government to wake up.

How else are you gonna recoup 3 trillion dollars?

USAM and Craigslist are next...  

I understand the annoyance and irriation of the OP.

Still I think it is a good thing that governments all over the world are cracking down on these online selling platforms. Most of the time, they serve the grey market and up to now have propagated tax evasion on a very large scale. These 'behemoths' at the same time are killing small retailers.

I'm not thinking of the individual seller who's selling a piece of clothing his kids grew out off, or someone trying to sell a cd player he no longer uses.

I'm thinking of behemoths like aliexpress.com and Amazon and whatever, and the thousands of smaller businesses who built a business model on tax evasion schemes. Very often, they also are the 'clean' front of modern slavery and human traficking: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49372809 They are even paying 'fake ambassadors' to spread positive news about the company!

Amazon and the like, companies who have a reputation of paying less than 3% taxes, while the European average is more like 33%, have thrived on the misery of others, their workers and their clients.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/09/amazon-europe-received-241m-in-tax-credits-in-2018 

While the world economy is going into recession, Amazon's ceo Jeff Bezos added 24 billion thanks to corona (while paying almost no taxes): https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52289657

Rather than hunting for the best bargain, or going for the highest profit, why don't you buy local?

• Like 1

EBay isn't unique in terms of collection of tax online where none used to be collected before... it really shouldn't be any surprise as it's been going on for a while now.

Hopefully your buyer is understanding about wanting to cancel, otherwise you may end up with a neutral or negative rating.

If something isn't available or sale any longer you should be able to cancel the transaction... the 12 hour rule is a buyer rule.

5 hours ago, ILI said:

I understand the annoyance and irriation of the OP.

Still I think it is a good thing that governments all over the world are cracking down on these online selling platforms. Most of the time, they serve the grey market and up to now have propagated tax evasion on a very large scale. These 'behemoths' at the same time are killing small retailers.

I'm not thinking of the individual seller who's selling a piece of clothing his kids grew out off, or someone trying to sell a cd player he no longer uses.

That's just it, the person selling the used CD player has to pay taxes on something that has already been taxed.... One of the problems, as I see it, is that the government requires people to pay in money, the government grows and spends that money faster than they get it and however they want, then requires more money because it has hired more people and is spending more money... It always gets larger and taxes more.

5 hours ago, ILI said:

I'm thinking of behemoths like aliexpress.com and Amazon and whatever, and the thousands of smaller businesses who built a business model on tax evasion schemes. Very often, they also are the 'clean' front of modern slavery and human traficking: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49372809 They are even paying 'fake ambassadors' to spread positive news about the company!

Amazon and the like, companies who have a reputation of paying less than 3% taxes, while the European average is more like 33%, have thrived on the misery of others, their workers and their clients.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/09/amazon-europe-received-241m-in-tax-credits-in-2018 

While the world economy is going into recession, Amazon's ceo Jeff Bezos added 24 billion thanks to corona (while paying almost no taxes): https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52289657

Modern slavery and human trafficking? I read the link you provided with that statement, but never read how it is anything like slavery and human trafficking. Did you mean to post a link to support that, or was that just more prattle?  

I don't work for Amazon, and I don't even like the company. It is true that they were one of the first to up their minimum wage pay and have bumped it up again not too long ago, and they do offer college reimbursement, medical insurance and other benefits including schedule changes to help people with personal needs....and I know it first hand from family who works for them. So how is that tied with human trafficking and slavery?

5 hours ago, ILI said:

Rather than hunting for the best bargain, or going for the highest profit, why don't you buy local?

Really? Reworded, that is saying 'Why not pay more and have less for what it costs?' 
I am for buying local and will shop at the family owned hardware store, rather than the larger stores such as Lowe's; the same goes for buying food at local stores. Having said that, if the prices were to get in a runaway, I would do my trading elsewhere.  

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

That's just it, the person selling the used CD player has to pay taxes on something that has already been taxed.... One of the problems, as I see it, is that the government requires people to pay in money, the government grows and spends that money faster than they get it and however they want, then requires more money because it has hired more people and is spending more money... It always gets larger and taxes more.

This was the first of my 2 points in the OP. What's next, government tax collectors at Yard Sales????????

At which point in history will our Federal and State governments STOP increasing taxes while spending more than they take in?

Credit Counselors cut up your Credit Cards when you can't control your spending. No one can do that to the governments.

I remember when Michigan Sales tax went up from 4% to 6%..........a CLEAR 50% increase!! When I pointed this out to a few "pedestrians" (people who appear to have room temperature IQ's), many said: "What do you mean, the tax only went up 2%."......................................I kept thinking, where did YOU go to school????????????

When I had a retail business at a local big mall, I collected 6% State Sales tax and sent it in. I never got paid for the extra work involved while my customers saw a higher bottom line on their bill. In effect, THEY were paying the money, but I got nothing for having to manage it!!!

10 hours ago, geoff. said:

I don’t think it’s eBay to blame for the tax.

I am actually surprised it took this long for the government to wake up.

How else are you gonna recoup 3 trillion dollars?

USAM and Craigslist are next...  

I said in my OP that the government was to blame, yes. Where does the 3 Trillion Dollars figure come from? The Covid-19 fiasco??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I remember when Michigan Sales tax went up from 4% to 6%..........a CLEAR 50% increase!! When I pointed this out to a few "pedestrians" (people who appear to have room temperature IQ's), many said: "What do you mean, the tax only went up 2%.".

😂

I can only imaging how difficult it was to not spit out whatever was in your mouth: coffee, words, spit, all of the aforementioned... 

Give them time and they will tax water and air..... oops, they are already.  

39 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I said in my OP that the government was to blame, yes. Where does the 3 Trillion Dollars figure come from? The Covid-19 fiasco??

it is the buyer who pays the sales tax , not the seller ---I don't see where that affects sellers , it is the buyers who should complain -