What is with Ebay lately????

ClaudeJ1

On 6/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, 7heavenlyplaces said:

EBay has become quite sketch as of late...50 percent of my transactions are faulty and not on my end as I pay immediately upon placing the order.... time to slack off of Ebay till they get it dialed in, as I see it.

Haven't done business there in years.  Marketplaces can quickly turn to caveat emptor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skelt said:

What burns me is the tax collected on core charges for automotive parts is not rembursed when the core is returned.

Years ago, my Dad bought a newspaper at walmart and they tried to charge taxes on it. He pointed out that it was against the law to charge tax on it (at the time) and that he would have bought one from the vending machine outside if he had the correct change at the time and that the machine would not try to unlawfully try to charge tax. 

The next Sunday, there were no more newspaper machines in front of that walmart anymore. 

• Moderators
On 6/7/2020 at 7:40 PM, RandyH said:

in theory , charging sales tax to a buyer for an out of State sale transaction  is unconstitutional since  that seller does not have a physical presence or a place of business in that State -to get around this ,  some States have voted new laws that allow them to collect sales tax based on the buyer's location , because the transaction is an online transaction -----and , until somebody contests it , and  takes it  all the way up to  the Supreme Court , this is the Law -

Where have you been? A state took it all the way up, and won. Ebay was forced to make this concession.. it goes state,.by state. some above a certain amount, some states charge from zero on up.

Travis

29 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Where have you been? A state took it all the way up, and won. Ebay was forced to make this concession.. it goes state,.by state. some above a certain amount, some states charge from zero on up.

Travis

--do you mean South Dakota vs Wayfair ----------

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, RandyH said:

--do you mean South Dakota vs Wayfair ----------

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf

Yep. Ebay was looking at being held liable if they didn't collect on behalf of the states.

Soooooooo, the option is move to Oregon, New Hampshire, Alaska, two more, Montana and ????? All of those, except Alaska, will tax your income instead.

• Like 1

This article is not about taxes, but it does shine a light on Ebay's 'business ethos'...: "Two former top eBay security executives and four other ex-employees face federal conspiracy charges of stalking the staff of an e-commerce newsletter by sending them live cockroaches and a funeral wreath."

https://fortune.com/2020/06/15/ex-ebay-executives-charged-with-stalking-campaign/

22 minutes ago, ILI said:

This article is not about taxes, but it does shine a light on Ebay's 'business ethos'...: "Two former top eBay security executives and four other ex-employees face federal conspiracy charges of stalking the staff of an e-commerce newsletter by sending them live cockroaches and a funeral wreath."

https://fortune.com/2020/06/15/ex-ebay-executives-charged-with-stalking-campaign/

big mess

On 6/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I said in my OP that the government was to blame, yes. Where does the 3 Trillion Dollars figure come from? The Covid-19 fiasco??

That's what they are figuring the Covid disaster has cost so far, 3 Trillion Dollars.

Let's talk about a Trillion dollars for a minute.  Most people have no understanding, no "gut feeling" about just how much money that entails.  When I used to work for the "World's Largest Bank©", I had a coworker who was rather liberal and her solution to any societal ill was to assign responsibility for it to the federal government.  I asked how they would pay for it and she stated that they could print another Trillion Dollars.  When I asked if she had any real idea of how large a trillion was, she said "I guess not".  I came up with a scenario that explains it, and gives you that gut feel:

If you borrow a certain amount, the repayment plan is always the same:  One dollar every second until the loan is paid off.

You borrow $1,000,000 (One Million Dollars) and repay at the dollar per second rate, and it takes you 11.57 DAYS to pay off your loan.

You borrow $1,000,000,000 (One Billion Dollars), it will take you 31.7 YEARS to pay it off.  Still not too bad, people pay off 30 year mortgages, right?

You borrow $1,000,000,000,000 (One Trillion Dollars), it will take you 31,709 YEARS to pay it off.  31 years to nearly 32,000 years!  Considering that our oldest written history is roughly 5,000 years ago, you would have to pay the rate for 6x longer than that.  The REAL gut punch is that we are nearly 25 Trillion dollars in debt.  Not one.  Not three.  25 Trillion dollars would take you 792,725 years! 

You will have noticed that I didn't include any interest in these calculations.  You can probably imagine what the interest alone on $25T would be.  (It feels weird to type that figure.  $25, $25k, $25M, even $25B seem normal by comparison!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can check my math if you care to do so:

There are 86,400 seconds per day, this figure will give you the answer in days.

1,000,000 / 86,400  =  11.57 days

For a billion, it makes more sense to convert to years:

(1,000,000,000 / 86,400  =   11,574 days) / 365  =   31.709 years

For a trillion, the same conversion to years:

(1,000,000,000,000 / 86,400  =   11,574,074 days) / 365  =  31,709 years  x  25 trillion  =  792,725 years total debt.  This is over three times longer than homo sapiens have existed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is this sustainable, other than for the US to declare bankruptcy?  As long as someone is still willing to extend credit to the federal government, they are still willing to spend it! 

To give a different scale of the debt size:  There are only 95 million single family houses in the US.  If we assume an average price of $150,000 per house, that "only" comes up to $14.25 trillion.  Apple was the first company to reach the 1 trillion dollar mark, followed by Amazon and Microsoft.  Throw those on the pile, too. 

You get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1