What is with Ebay lately????

ClaudeJ1

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Modern slavery and human trafficking? I read the link you provided with that statement, but never read how it is anything like slavery and human trafficking.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/05/amazon-workers-protest-unsafe-grueling-conditions-warehouse

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-workers-across-europe-and-us-protest-prime-day-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2020/4/1/21201162/amazon-delivery-delays-coronavirus-worker-strikes

At least in Europe, there is a high number of corona-victims among Amazon personel, mostly because they are economic refugees living together in small rooms (ten people sleeping in one room), earning minimum wage... That's what I call modern slavery.

I'll stop here, because I know that this topic is very sensitive and the situation of Europe compared to the US is very different and therefore impossible to compare.

Taxes give Europeans schools, medical care, roads etc. When multinationals shamelessly use every trick of the book to evade taxes, we have the right to speak up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

it is the buyer who pays the sales tax , not the seller ---I don't see where that affects sellers , it is the buyers who should complain -

Sorry I didn't create 2 separate OP's for y'all. Yes, the first part was an observation and a complaint about being charged TAXES on USED STUFF as a BUYER.

Second part was about, basically, no having a "stop sale" button available anywhere on Ebay Site.............took a lot of digging, then the adventure with the Online Support person, etc. I was able to Cancel the Transaction as soon as I awoke the following day. But now they say it will take 10 days for refund to the buyer, which is TOTAL Bovine Sediment!!

They suck the money our of your bank via Paypal in Milliseconds but it takes 10 frikkin days to return it???

They work our money hard, now don't they?

5 minutes ago, ILI said:
4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Modern slavery and human trafficking? I read the link you provided with that statement, but never read how it is anything like slavery and human trafficking.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/05/amazon-workers-protest-unsafe-grueling-conditions-warehouse

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-workers-across-europe-and-us-protest-prime-day-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2020/4/1/21201162/amazon-delivery-delays-coronavirus-worker-strikes

At least in Europe, there is a high number of corona-victims among Amazon personel, mostly because they are economic refugees living together in small rooms (ten people sleeping in one room), earning minimum wage... That's what I call modern slavery.

Were these people captured and brought to and sold to Amazon for their labor, or are they free to seek employment and living conditions elsewhere? If they are truly slaves, then where you live should stop such practices. 

You claim higher C19 victims among Amazon workers in Europe and talk about living conditions and such, but post links that have nothing to so with what you stated. What is in one link is about Amazon workers in the US, and how out of 5,000 workers, 50 workers walked off their job, 15 people protested. This is while amazon increased the worker's pay, double-time for OT, was trying to hire an additional 100,000 workers while trying to ship needed supplies to people's homes who were self quarantining and had no other way to get basic needs. 

Nowhere in there did I see anything about slave labor and human trafficking. 

5 minutes ago, ILI said:

I'll stop here, because I know that this topic is very sensitive and the situation of Europe compared to the US is very different and therefore impossible to compare.

Taxes give Europeans schools, medical care, roads etc. When multinationals shamelessly use every trick of the book to evade taxes, we have the right to speak up!

The US is a country, Europe is not. Are you saying all of Europe is under one one type of road maintenance, medical care and education system? 

Here in the US, we have a few broken systems. One is a broken tax collection system that allows some companies, such as Netflix and Amazon and others, to not pay their fair share of Federal taxes. It is broken and needs fixed. Another broken system is where strong, able bodied people are given money and many other benefits without working for it or earning in any way. The money that is earned by workers is being taken by of taxes and is then being given to people who didn't earn it. That sounds a lot more like slave labor than anything you have listed or linked. The people who work and pay taxes still have to provide food, housing, transportation, medical insurance, clothing and a large list of other things to their families, while supporting people that they aren't and shouldn't be responsible for in the first place. People here in the US work and pay Social Security taxes their whole lives. That money is supposed to be metered back to them when they reach retirement age to pay for food, medical, shelter and other needs. Instead, that money is being given to people who are not paying into the SS system. Is that the way it is in all of Europe too?  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 4:33 AM, Frzninvt said:

They bill you 10% now and that includes shipping costs no more selling for me.

ebay has charged the 10% fee for well over 10 years now.  & they charge it on the shipping because sellers used to avoid their fees by listing an item for .99 but charging $100 for shipping, that way ebay could only charge their fee on the sale price.  so naturally they put the fees on shipping to to avoid that scam.  i sell a lot of stuff on ebay each week for the last 20 years & agree their fees are kind of high, but where else do you get world wide exposure & the possibility of a bidding war driving up the price of the item your selling to sometimes 2-3 times what you wanted for it or more?? thats worth a 10% fee IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ebay has charged the 10% fee for well over 10 years now.  & they charge it on the shipping because sellers used to avoid their fees by listing an item for .99 but charging $100 for shipping, that way ebay could only charge their fee on the sale price.  so naturally they put the fees on shipping to to avoid that scam.  i sell a lot of stuff on ebay each week for the last 20 years & agree their fees are kind of high, but where else do you get world wide exposure & the possibility of a bidding war driving up the price of the item your selling to sometimes 2-3 times what you wanted for it or more?? thats worth a 10% fee IMO. 

Thank you for this post. To be clear, I was just asking the question in the OP to get this kind of answer. The actual complaint was about paying SALES tax on USED stuff as a BUYER, which I think is excessive on the part of GOVERNMENT. Will there ever be ANYTHING left that is not TAXED to death in this world?

I'm pretty sure Ebay has always made a "fair profit" from their MARKETING Practices and have had to work around SCAMMERS on both sides of a TRANSACTION. No problem with that. I simply wanted to hear about other people's experiences, good and bad. How else can we learn anything in this world unless we compare notes??

• Like 1

I agree paying tax on used items is excessive but sales tax has been collected in a retail setting such as antique and thrift stores for a long time in ohio. More people are accepting credit cards at yard sales and flea markets. No doubt the government will cracking down there in the future.

Who pays the sales tax at an estate sale, the buyer or seller, is negotiated between the auctioneer and the estate.

I've seen it go both ways. 

What burns me is the tax collected on core charges for automotive parts is not rembursed when the core is returned. 

1 hour ago, babadono said:

"The only things certain are death and taxes on things you have already paid taxes on"---Benji Franklinski

Yep, it's a one way street for sure. I like Ronald Reagan's quote: "Government is like a newborn baby, an insatiable appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other end."

On 6/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, ILI said:

Dude! WTF does this have to do with Ebay? No one has to work for Amazon. You should start your own thread about real slavery in Libya, where Black Men are being sold every day. Your post is irrelevant to anything remotely KLIPSCH. My thread was basically about trying to cancel a sale of K-42-KP woofers. Find another place, or better yet, create your own web site.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yep, it's a one way street for sure. I like Ronald Reagan's quote: "Government is like a newborn baby, an insatiable appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other end."

Yet he made a second career out of it.