new forte 1

Just purchased a pair of immaculate Forte 1's.  Cabinets are near mint!  Only blemish is a dented dust cap on now passive.  Recommendations on what to modify, update and change.  I get them on Wednesday.  Do not know if I paid too much?  $650.00?  They have all original boxes and paperwork.  Also one owner.   Did I do OK?

• Like 1

You did alright since clean and paperwork and boxes too. Dent in passive dustcap not a biggie. Price

has gone up Abit over last little while so, hope you are happy.

Would listen to them first for Abit and then consider any improvement.

Welcome!

Forte 1's are awesome speakers! I had a pair for almost 30 years. I sold them to my pal, and I can go listen anytime. I did the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragm upgrade. I wonder if there is a way to pull the dent out of the passive? Congrats! What are you driving them with? 

price is great   -----good job ----congrats are in order , the most important is the fact these are in pristine  shape-------dustcaps can be replaced -------or pulled out using a vacuum hose with light pressure -WELCOME -

Thanks all. I will drive them with a pair of Schiit Aergir's.  Dedicated room fully treated with GIK traps/reflectors. The cabinets are incredibly well maintained but seem a little dull.  I am assuming they were originally oiled so I will give them a quick dust and then probably do some tongue oil. The previous owner did not have a great setup so my auditioning doesn't really count. I am anxious to hear them in my home and setup. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. More to come.......

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase, forte 1s are a terrific speaker and were my first klipsch. 

The tags on the back will have the type of finish weather it is oiled or lacquered.

I would give them a good listen first before making updates. I would check for airleaks around the woofer and passive and check the tweeters are working properly. 

Post many pictures.

Skelt, will do.  I have rebuild and modified many original large Advents, have a wood shop and have refinished many speakers. I am hoping they are oiled. they had a very low gloss finish and other than a very slight water spot from a glass leads me to think they are oiled.  I will post many pictures after I get them.  Probably on Thursday. I am so pumped to play with these!

• Like 1

OK, got my Forte 1's last night and did a brief listen. Approximately 30 minutes.  Listened to some Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Dire Straits, Joni Mitchell, Fourplay and Zeppelin. A few others as well. Initial impression is not good. Flat soundstage, slightly muddy or ill defined bass, good dynamics, and not the greatest detail retrieval . Speakers were approximately 3 feet from back wall, 2-3 feet from side and the room is fully treated with GIK acoustic trap/reflectors.  System is;

Schiit Aegir monos

Schiit Freya+ pre

Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC

Schiit Mani phono pre

Technics 1200GR table with Ortofon BLue

Cables were Kimber KCAG interconnects (balanced) and DIY Mogami speaker

I will do some extensive listening today/tonight and work with placement a bit. The speakers are in incredible condition. Actually amazing for their age. Grilles fully intact, veneer is pristine and all original boxes and packaging. Any advice on how to get the best sound out of these is appreciated. I would also like to know what improvements can be had with the Crites crossover and tweeter diaphragm.  I will probably do both as well as look at the internal bracing. Initial impressions are very disappointing. Certainly no where close to all the accolades Klipsch Heritage speakers have recently received. And, I will say a recent audition of the Heresy IV provided very good sound. I will shoot some pictures today and post later today or tonight.

Thought? Help?

I know this is a pain, but is there any way you can move them into a different space to see if they still sound lifeless?  Perhaps your treated room is overly dead?  Have you ever had speakers with passives in that room?  Just a thought.  BTW, I'm not far away if you need anything.

• Like 3

tough to move them as they are in basement. So a couple of questions. Where might I find gaskets? the surrounds from the outside look to be in fine condition. No cracking and cones move freely.  I will look much closer though. I have not had any speakers with passives in this room. Actually, never had a speaker with a passive radiator.  Only other speakers I have had in this room besides the Lintons and Rogers were a pair of Zu audio Dirty Weekends.  Very disappointing. I am going to try to post pictures now and as I have listened for another hour plus I am getting a better grasp pn this.  I can say that the lower kids and lows certainly have a wooziness to them.  Lacking definition and almost sounding resonant.  No rattle or distortion noticeable. Jimjimbo, I am in Bristol (just east of Elkhart by a few miles) how close are you and maybe we can get together?

Thanks all!!

IMG_1959.jpeg

33 minutes ago, porsche987 said:

unfortunately I cannot upload my pictures they say I can only download 3MB and my first picture was almost that.  The tags on the back say; type; FOR WO RV, Serial; 8827072. Also has the numbers 277/79 and (0421) (0516).  What do we know from these?

I am in Mishawaka. I think a few photos of your set up and your room would be very helpful. If you are using a Windows PC you can try using the basic paint app and reduce the size of your photos.

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

If you are using a Windows PC you can try using the basic paint app and reduce the size of your photos.

Irfanview is free and has been the most popular program for such things for decades. Nice because you can do a batch resize of as many pix as you wish very rapidly. For web posting, I reduce to 1920 width at 96dpi with "Maintain Aspect" option. Gets them small enough for anything on the web while maintaining good quality. 

Dave