Just picked up my first Belles!

Farheezil

Good Evening All: 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in last night regarding my Belle inquiry. I just picked up my first set of Klipsch Belles today. They are consecutive in number and all original based on what I was told and as far as I can tell.  They appear to be built post October 1983 based on the Type AB-2 network. The cabinets are in good shape over all - one is in great shape and the other has a little damage which can  be seen in the pictures.  I think the stain is Oak Lacquer based on the OL in the serial number, but perhaps they are Walnut Oiled based on the WO in the Type line. Ill need to look into that more. I was able to demo before purchase and both speakers are fully functional.  Do you guys think a Marantz Model 2270 will power them reasonably well? Looking forward to giving these a closer listen. 

IMG_7940.jpg

IMG_7941.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7939.jpg

IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_7937.jpg

• Like 3

both midrange drivers  were replaced at one time ---

These mids are the K55M by Electrovoice  , the R  stamped at the rear is indicative of this ------

-the Tweeters are odd for a 1983 speaker as the picture shown are round magnet Alnico k77  which were only used until  the late seventies and the Serial no  appears to be 1973 Belle speakers and not 1983 -----the letter L  is for 1973 -

-the crossover AB-2  could be an upgrade done in 1983 or later ,   but at the same time as the K55M as both were introduced together in 1983  , the 1973  original crossover was the AA and the midrange drivers  were the K55V -

- the badges  are not the original 73 badges ------but are the 1979  klipsch factory copper badge which is an original klipsch badge - 1 badge is missing -

At 70 wpc, you can probably dump all that the Marantz can throw at those speakers.  If you already have the Marantz, it'll be fine.  If you don't, I'd look at amps with some more headroom to spare.  Years ago, I had a 90 wpc Marantz driving La Scalas, and we cranked it to 100% and let it sit.  It was loud and clean, but that couldn't have been good for the amp.

Don't worry that the speakers are not all original.  It's meaningless to good sound.

I third that!

I love my Belles. Good luck with yours and sit back and enjoy. Not sure about the AB2 but I got rid off a pair of AB and was very happy I did.

Not too much original in either of my sets, but all sound wonderful.

4B2.thumb.JPG.d2c00b75c46751e40cc2e002d23172c3.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, RandyH said:

both midrange drivers  were replaced at one time ---

These mids are the K55M by Electrovoice  , the R  stamped at the rear is indicative of this ------

-the Tweeters are odd for a 1983 speaker as the picture shown are round magnet Alnico k77  which were only used until  the late seventies and the Serial no  appears to be 1973 Belle speakers and not 1983 -----the letter L  is for 1973 -

-the crossover AB-2  could be an upgrade done in 1983 or later ,   but at the same time as the K55M as both were introduced together in 1983  , the 1973  original crossover was the AA and the midrange drivers  were the K55V -

- the badges  are not the original 73 badges ------but are the 1979  klipsch factory copper badge which is an original klipsch badge - 1 badge is missing -

Here’s another clue that suggests your Belles might be 1973 models:  my 1974 La Scalas were tested by the same person, William Bradford.  Even his signatures match the ones on my speakers.

As for the serial numbers, “L” would indicate 1973.  My 1974s have an “M” in that place.

However, the year is not that important, since Belles have always sounded good.  I’m using a late Eighties Belle for Centre duty between the JubScalas and I’m very happy with it.  I don’t know the date more precisely than that because its label is missing.

Welcome to the Forum and happy listening!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 12:38 AM, Farheezil said:

one is in great shape and the other has a little damage

Your speakers and I are close enough in age and each side of my brain feels the same as your speaker's condition. A few weeks ago, I put the Belle back into service after sitting off to the side for a few years. I am using a Harman Kardon 730 (40 w/ch) to power them, I believe your 2270 will be a great match. Also, I am using a down firing DBX sub to fill in the lows. I would like to get a folded horn to go with the folded speakers.

To me, the Klipsch Belle is the prettiest speaker ever made. Congrats on your score.