I think I am spoiled :P

I am sitting here in the semi dark, watching 2 4K, 42 inch screens, playing a video game on my computer while the audio is being fed through my 2 ch tube Pre-amp to my tube amp then to my Khorns while also being fed through a tube integrated and into my Quartets. I wonder what the other 99% play on? :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with being spoiled, you worked for it, I don't game but sounds like a cool setup. 

My grandson does game, he uses the headphones with the mic to talk with people. He just ordered a new computer and monitors they should be here in a few days, should be a nice upgrade for him, should be considering the cost ? 

Thanks, yes it took a lot of years and work to get to this point. 

The PC I have is newly built by me just a couple months ago, I did go a little overboard too but it should last a good 5 years and still be viable. 

Games have a lot of music in them so it is not just bullet noises and explosions LOL!

I am having a bit of a ground loop issue though. It is annoying when it is quiet but it is easily drowned out. I am feeding Toslink from the PC to a DAC (so it is not coming from the PC) where the audio is split to 2 runs of RCA cables, one to each amp. Both the integrated and the amp are plugged into the same power conditioner with each outlet fed through an isolation transformer. The hum is through the preamp to the Khorn run. If I seperate the RCA feeds then the hum goes away or if I pull the power plug on the integrated  but leave the feeds connected it is gone also.  I think my next move may be to get a Toslink splitter and add in another DAC so that each RCA run is separate and not electrically connected. Any opinions are welcome!

• Like 1

Have you tried floating the grounds?

I'm sure you know how to do this, but..... I always use just ONE ground point. Everything/anything that has a third ground pin gets "lifted", in the case of 3-prong plugs I use a 2 prong adapter. Only the main power source/supply that everything else is plugged into for power at the wall electrical outlet gets grounded.

BTW Cal, I still have the mustard rub B-B-Q recipe you posted here years ago. Great stuff! Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, artto said:

Have you tried floating the grounds?

I'm sure you know how to do this, but..... I always use just ONE ground point. Everything/anything that has a third ground pin gets "lifted", in the case of 3-prong plugs I use a 2 prong adapter. Only the main power source/supply that everything else is plugged into for power at the wall electrical outlet gets grounded.

BTW Cal, I still have the mustard rub B-B-Q recipe you posted here years ago. Great stuff! Thanks!

Thanks! I tried pretty much every trick I knew. In the end, what fixed it was getting another Toslink DAC and just keeping everything 100% divided. Funny how light does not conduct electrical current :P 

I hope that rub has had lots of ribs under it! :D  Your Welcome :D